PDA

View Full Version : Universities

Jack
08-01-07, 04:00 PM
Well done to Alex who's just been offered a place at Cheltenham uni, depending on A-level grades of course. Thats now Chelt & Bath Spa :D

Any other Novaloaders planning to go to Uni this year?

craig green
08-01-07, 04:04 PM
Congrats Alex.

I used to go to Bournemouth uni but couldnt be ****d with it, collected my loan cheques & bought Nova bits.

Was a right hoot for the time I was there & got very ratted most nights. Best days ever!

Alex.
08-01-07, 04:05 PM
Thank you hun!
I'm sooooo happy. I've got a HUGE grin on my face...like this...:D...only bigger!
HAHAHAHHAHA....
Not only for one course there either....both courses I applied for up there!!! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAA......Sorry...am a little excited:D

draper
08-01-07, 04:07 PM
well done alex

Alex.
08-01-07, 04:08 PM
Well done to Alex who's just been offered a place at Cheltenham uni,

;)

wisewood
08-01-07, 04:15 PM
lazy draper cant be bothered to figure out the distance.

ps. congrats.

Iain
08-01-07, 04:44 PM
Don't do it. lollol More stress and work than A levels. I'm currently finishing 2 pieces of coursework and revising for examinations in just over a weeks time. :cry:

However I am also using my student loan money as an excuse for buying Nova parts ;)lol

Alex.
08-01-07, 04:54 PM
How many subjects are you taking?
I'm only planning to take one...lol

dannyb
08-01-07, 04:55 PM
However I am also using my student loan money as an excuse for buying Nova parts ;)lol

Amen to that brother!
Im at University of Chichester, but they don't really do the student thing down here, instead of beer, I spend the loan on the Nova.

Well done Alex, are you not taking a year out??

Iain
08-01-07, 04:59 PM
How many subjects are you taking?
I'm only planning to take one...lol

Just one, Computer Science. Half way through the second year and it's a ****load of work! lol

Alex.
08-01-07, 05:00 PM
Just one, Computer Science.

That's why it's lots of work lol

Novadex
08-01-07, 05:01 PM
well done Alex, all the best!

Iain
08-01-07, 05:03 PM
What will you be studying? :)

Alex.
08-01-07, 05:07 PM
English Literature....so i suppose it'll be lots of essays...lol

Iain
08-01-07, 05:09 PM
Better to have essays and reports than exams!

bump
08-01-07, 05:26 PM
Congrats Alex!

Bath Spa, it's just down the road from me. What are you planning on doing (aside from drinking of course)?

Edit: Spent too long on the phone. Know what your doing now.

Matt2107
09-01-07, 02:24 PM
Congrats.

Lozzie C
10-01-07, 07:38 AM
Congratulations!
:D
Are you taking up the scheme they're doing where you don't have to pay the loan back until you earn enough to cover it all?

Any other Novaloaders planning to go to Uni this year?

A high percentage of my mates are off to uni this year but I'm planning on having a year out and travel/gain qualifications from part-time college. Good thing about them going to uni is that I will be able to go to their freshers weeks (depending on them beginning at different times) :thumb: :D :thumb:

Stuart
10-01-07, 08:16 AM
im glad (well kind of) that i went when i did as it jsut sounds far too expensive to goto uni now.... without working lol.

congrats. Why not do a useful course like engieering? hee hee

Jack
10-01-07, 08:27 AM
congrats. Why not do a useful course like engieering? hee hee
Engineering? Useful? In England? What an absurd thought lol

wisewood
10-01-07, 08:29 AM
Having never bothered getting a degree, i'm in no real position to judge, but I would say that a proper degree would be better lol

What's English Literature gonna get you? Job as a Librarian lol

Stuart
10-01-07, 08:29 AM
its usefull as you can learn engineering in the "best" palce then feck off to another country and get paid properly ;)

wisewood
10-01-07, 08:38 AM
What're you doing back here then? Sod off back to germany lol

Stuart
10-01-07, 09:18 AM
that was mechanicing and i was on less there P/h than now... but i was taking mroe home post tax lol

bump
10-01-07, 10:35 AM
Degree in a relevant subject or not (Law and Bean Counting exempt), you struggle to get a start these days as everyone seems to want experience.

As for engineering, I was offered a job TIG'ing for ?5.98 p/h lol Could have earnt more working in ASDA than that.

wisewood
10-01-07, 10:54 AM
Even an accounts degree doesnt strictly get you anywhere far in an accounts job without experience. Yes, a graduate will earn more than a non-graduate but not enough more to make it worth 3 years studying and all that debt.

Someone studying the AAT while they're working comes out in just the same situation after 3 years, has 3 years experience too, and is anything up to ?60,000 better off (facts, taken from a journal i receive).

:D

bump
10-01-07, 01:30 PM
Fair enough sir, probably just law then.

craig green
10-01-07, 01:43 PM
Most peeps with a degree end up as a bank manager...

Stuart
10-01-07, 01:49 PM
^^ lmao where did you pull that little nugget from?

or have you just ignored the scientific/engineering secotrs of this country?
plus banks are closing more so no need for managers ;)

J4MES
10-01-07, 03:24 PM
id say, unless your really well motivated and 'academic' i wouldnt bother.....

saying that im 2 and a half years into a geographhy degree at Newcastle and iv had a brilliant time!!-apart from the work (im lazy!:( )

ps exams anyday, because coursework is gay!!!!lol lol lol

wisewood
10-01-07, 03:25 PM
Geography Degree lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

wisewood
10-01-07, 03:30 PM
I just found this, which i thought might show me that i was wrong, and a geography degree was worth the toilet paper it was printed on...

http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/media/storage/paper244/news/2004/11/18/News/Get-Rich.with.A.Geography.Degree-809919.shtml?norewrite200701101028&sourcedomain=www.dailyutahchronicle.com

But then i noticed that the Daily Utah Chronicle has been "The University of Utah's Independent Student Voice Since 1890" which means its been written by a geography student lol

chimp007_uk
10-01-07, 03:32 PM
Why not do a useful course like engieering?

stu's got it sussed... motorsport engineering all the way!!! lol :thumb: lol

can't beat a good p**s up in wales... :D and you learn something relivant and interesting at the same time! can't wait to finish my dissertation, too much work though, and there's me thinking that using CAD/CFD/CNC to design cylinder head ports was easy lol :cry:

J4MES
10-01-07, 04:24 PM
yep get it all the time:thumb: ...colouring in!!lol etc.....tbh wish i hadnt bothered with uni altogether, but Im at a brilliant uni, in a great city, having a right old p*ss-up....

Also, i think only one of the people i know that have graduated have actually gone into remotely a relevant job....:roll: :roll:

dannyb
10-01-07, 04:33 PM
id say, unless your really well motivated and 'academic' i wouldnt bother....

You have to get a degree in either teaching or do a degree then PGCE in order to teach :(

If i wasn't going into teaching, I wouldn't have bothered going to uni, it just makes you poor and means Im that much further away from buying a valver.

J4MES
10-01-07, 04:40 PM
it just makes you poor and means Im that much further away from buying a valver.

So true, I spent about 3 grand in the first year alone, and I had nothing to show for it...:cry: :cry: :cry:

bump
10-01-07, 04:45 PM
So true, I spent about 3 grand in the first year alone, and I had nothing to show for it...:cry: :cry: :cry: :bull****: What about the hangover? lol

J4MES
10-01-07, 04:54 PM
out 4 times a week....

went with 700pound savings (for a car:roll: ) 1300 pound loan A TERM and then a grand overdraft, and yes i had a VERY good time!!! (got the scars to prove it,lol!!!)

Alex.
10-01-07, 05:05 PM
What's English Literature gonna get you? Job as a Librarian lol
After I've done it, if I still want to...I wanna go on and do a PCGE in Secondary teaching and hopefully become a English Teacher (obviously)
If I don't wana do teaching whilst spending time there It'll be a useful degree to have, which'll prove I'll be able to speak English...which I can imagine nowadays is high wanted! lol

P.S. Also got accepted into Glamorgan uni now. So just waiting on Cardiff (doubtful!)

Jack
10-01-07, 07:09 PM
Degree in a relevant subject or not (Law and Bean Counting exempt), you struggle to get a start these days as everyone seems to want experience.
GCHQ, if you have a degree you can walk right in there lol

Doesn't matter what in, could be Degree in Picking Your Nose

Philsutton
10-01-07, 07:20 PM
I have degree in physics and I cant even get a job setting up experiments at primary school. Im going to start making things up just so I can get an interview.

dhdev (Oli)
10-01-07, 11:04 PM
I sent my UCAS form in today, nowt like leaving it till the last minute lol
I'm applying to do an MEng in Mech Eng at Soton, Bristol, Warwick or Notts. I've got my fingers crossed :)

Alex.
11-01-07, 06:08 AM
I finially got mine done before the christmas break!
So now I'm helping all the muppets that haven't done theirs!!lol

dhdev (Oli)
11-01-07, 07:56 AM
I finally finished filling in the form yesterday, went round to the college I'm studying at to get my tutor to add his reference and found out that I shouldn't have registered as an individual and should've registered through the college :roll: So I had to re-register and go through the whole bloody process again :cry:

macc nova
11-01-07, 08:38 AM
/\ hahaha i still havent done mine sending it off later

bump
11-01-07, 01:40 PM
I sent my UCAS form in today, nowt like leaving it till the last minute lol
I'm applying to do an MEng in Mech Eng at Soton, Bristol, Warwick or Notts. I've got my fingers crossed :)

If it's either Soton or Bris i'm sure i'll be metting up with you at some point.

dhdev (Oli)
11-01-07, 03:22 PM
If it's either Soton or Bris i'm sure i'll be metting up with you at some point.

How so? Do u live in Bristol and uni at Soton? Are you already there, or planning on starting in sept?
I'm planning on sampling the night life before I make any choices, I've got a relative doin a PhD at soton so I may head down there soon for a weekend, I've spent many a night at Warwick uni (cos I live about 5 miles away), I've got a mate doin Architecture at Notts so thats gonna be arranged and a mates mate is at Bristol so that too can be arranged. Its gonna get messy, bring on the UK Uni tour :D

(500th post!!!)

J4MES
11-01-07, 03:26 PM
^^^thats defo the right way to choose!!!lol I didnt solely base my choices on nightlife but it influenced heavily!!!lol