PDA

View Full Version : Coscast C20xe

Markyc
08-01-07, 01:51 PM
What is the difference between this one and the normal C20XE??

cheers mark

Riggy
08-01-07, 01:59 PM
they have a better head on them that dosnt go porus like the gm heads can do

Markyc
08-01-07, 02:08 PM
o right ok but they are exsactly the same then but jst a different head worth getting one??

Riggy
08-01-07, 02:44 PM
yeah its just head that is different , as said the heads dont go porus so its better in that respect but you can still get decent gm ones

Dar
08-01-07, 03:17 PM
Just to lend my 2p's worth. The Coscast head can still go porus BUT they are much much less likely to go porus. They are just a better casting and they have more metal around the oil gallery that causes the problem. So yes deffo worth getting one but I wouldn't pay alot more for one over the gm head.

Once a head goes porus its not the end of the world, they can be fixed.

Mazz
08-01-07, 03:30 PM
GM head's can be fixed quite cheaply to stop them going porus..
Coscast ones can go for silly money, 200quid upwards in some cases..which imo isn't worth the money..

draper
08-01-07, 05:32 PM
Just to lend my 2p's worth. The Coscast head can still go porus BUT they are much much less likely to go porus. They are just a better casting and they have more metal around the oil gallery that causes the problem. So yes deffo worth getting one but I wouldn't pay alot more for one over the gm head.

Once a head goes porus its not the end of the world, they can be fixed.

id agree with that, buy a GM one and do the repair before its fitted - if you do a search theres a link on this iste to another site that explains how to do it, ill have a looksy in a mo

Lee
08-01-07, 06:13 PM
Stop It! Everyone knows that coscast heads are tuned by Cosworth and increase the BHP as well as the pub talk ammo!

...(I may want to sell one at some point) lol

rc
08-01-07, 07:17 PM
:confused: wot is a porus head?

draper
08-01-07, 07:20 PM
where the oil or water gullies break down so water mixes with oil, kinda like a headgasket going, i think but may (and prob) be wrong

Adam
09-01-07, 01:16 AM
Correct draper :) Lol

Stuart
09-01-07, 08:14 AM
on a minor technicallyity it dosent go porus in the traditional sense of the word...

the oil - water galleries crack to cause the mix

If the head went porous there wouldnt be a crack, it would be where the metal has gone like a sponge and the fluids mix that way..

As Dar and others have said for the minimal money involed with "repairing" a GM head its better value to get a GM headed engine and get the fixes done then carry on as if it was a coscast...

Will F
09-01-07, 09:21 AM
The early coscat heads flow better and have slightly bigger valves too iirc.

They are worth a few extra ??

Dar
09-01-07, 10:04 AM
Will, im quite sure that thats not true. They give the same power and are identical in operation. They are just a better casting.

draper
09-01-07, 11:12 AM
Will, im quite sure that thats not true. They give the same power and are identical in operation. They are just a better casting.

thats what i read in total vauxhall aswell, something about GM cutting corners on the manufacturing process to keep costs down, typical :roll:

and woohoo, i was right about some mechanical gubbins - im learning ;)