PDA

View Full Version : C16 / E16 block/piston differences

olidaviesuk
08-01-07, 01:40 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the E16 block & pistons and the C16 block and pistons.

Im mainly interested in anything that would cause a change in compression ratio, im assuming that the difference in compression ratio between the E16 and C16 engines (very small anyway) is caused by a different combustion chamber volumes in the head, Unless anyone knows differently?

Ash
08-01-07, 04:26 PM
there's a guy on mig who fitted E/C16SE pistons to a C/X16XE. i can remember if this increased or decreased compression though.

the C16SE and E16SE bottom end are the same, its just the igition system and a cat that differant.

Ash

craig green
08-01-07, 04:29 PM
Pistons are the same, I beleive the block has some varying differences. Bit closer to the 16XE.

Obviously putting 16XE pistons in will raise the CR considerably. Autodata books should provide the answers you need, or Haynes manual.

Why do you need to know?

olidaviesuk
08-01-07, 05:27 PM
i've got two standard blocks and heads (one c16, one e16) and im putting together an engine for my race series, without going into too much detail the regs require you to keep 99% of the engine standard. I can use either engine as they have both been fitted to the GSi

Im trying to raise the compression to as near as 11:1 as I can, have the head side of things pretty much worked out (skimming etc) but I don't want to run into any nasty suprises if I use the later block and pistons and end up with a compression ratio of higher than 11:1 then have the engine DETing and melting the pistons all over the place...