PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Owners - Need advice

carnoisseurcraig
07-01-07, 08:11 PM
Ok guys. What alternator are you running. Im having drive belt issues. It keeps kinking on me and slipping off.

Im using the older type bracket with an 8v alternator v type, the bottom pulley is usually twin but i had it lathed flat so i only have the one. As you know space is tight.

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/2912/dsc00482.jpg

Above is a pic of the alt im using. The bracket there is for that later type which i think i may need but im sure the latter alts are the multi v set up only which is no use.
I wanna know what your running and, WHY!!! is my belt is kinking. Its either the alt is sitting to far in, or summin aint right with my bottom pulley.
:mad:

Philsutton
07-01-07, 08:15 PM
I take its a c20let by the sounds of it? The you can onyl use the v type alternator on 2lt novas with the machined down bottom pulley. This has never caused any problems for myself or anyone I know, only thing that springs to mind is engine mounts, what are you using? if its standard rubber ones then there is your problem. As the engine moves the alternator hits the chasis leg an thus will kill it. Thats the only things I can think of.

Also I use the multi tooth alternator on my c20let but I have a corsa where chasis leg clearance isnt an issue

carnoisseurcraig
07-01-07, 08:24 PM
It is a standard rubber mount im using. I cant understand really. I had a 2.0 8v in there before zero issues with the alternator now im having a whole host of problems. Its slipping off on idle. You can see clearly that its not in line with the bottom pulley hence its slipping off.

Philsutton
07-01-07, 08:27 PM
probably gone round a corner fast, the engine has slapped across an hit the chasis leg and bent the bracket. Quite common when using rubber mounts, in all fairness the stand mounts cant hold a 1.4 sr engine in without snapping.

carnoisseurcraig
07-01-07, 08:29 PM
lol, this is my issue. Ive never driven the car yet due to this problem.

Philsutton
07-01-07, 09:03 PM
oh right lol, which is the bracket you have shown on the pic above? Doesnt like the ones normally used or is that the 8v.

carnoisseurcraig
07-01-07, 09:06 PM
thats the late type bracket. Which i was planning on using till i found that all late speced alts are multi v.

I have now been informed that the 8v alts are different from the early XE alts hence this is my problem. Lucky i do have both so il try and see.

matthew172
07-01-07, 10:23 PM
the bracket you are using is the wrong one for that alternator, you need to use the other style bracket plus on the xe motor the v pulley thats on the alternator has a spacer behind it so it can pass the campulley cover ok

carnoisseurcraig
08-01-07, 07:47 AM
yeah i know thats the wrong bracket. That was the one i was gonna use instead of the old one as i thought thats where my problem was till i found out its the alt thats the problem.

craig green
08-01-07, 01:27 PM
Just space the alt accross, elongate the holes on the bracket & move it over.

I cant see pics (work PC) but I reckon thats the issue. Make sure you maintain a good earth after messing about with it!

The Simps
08-01-07, 04:33 PM
I found this when I went XE to LET.

The LET alt bracket is fixed whereas my XE (actually I think it might have even been my old SEH one) is like the other pic you posted on MIG, so the alt works on a pivot.

I'm using a courtenay alloy bottom pulley and mines not perfectly straight but has been ok. I did fit a slightly shorter belt tho if I recall so it is quite tight.

Have you got a pic of the bottom pulley you are using?

Simps.