PDA

View Full Version : Lowering calibra

tom_bish
06-01-07, 11:14 AM
Looking for some help with the above. I kind of know what im doing i just want to check that im doing things in the right order etc... I know the rear is simple its just the fronts im concerned about. I have all the right tools eg. spring compressors, ball joint breaker, compressor etc.

I am using a 60mm Pi spring kit. I know this is the cheap option but hopefully it will only be a temporary thing until i can get hold of some konis and the car is running 17s at the mo and looks like a monster truck. I am not looking for mega good handling as i only use the car as a runaround for work etc. and i will also be taking the car to a professional bodyshop to get all the wheels tracked and lined up.

A quick step by step guide would be much appreciated :thumb:. Tom

(sorry this is not nova related)

Nobby
06-01-07, 11:37 AM
well im not quite sure what the calibras ar like but if it has a ball join like you say i would -

Pop the ball joint 1st
then unbolt the strut from the hub
then unbolt it from under the engine bay top struts

The when you have it off the car you need to compress the spring (make sure the they are the nuts (how tight you have them ) are the same on both sides, because if you dont and one slips it could turn nasty!!

then you need to crack the top nut bit of a *******
best way is to look at the top nut and there should be like an allen key to hold the shaft. You will need a spanner to crack the nut and you will need to hold the allen key with whatever you can ( actualy allen key or i used a T socket with a rench) as tight as you can so the shaft doesnt spin. Then try and crack the nut ( a copper hammer might need to give the nut some persuasion) then it will just come off slip the spring off new spring on and do the reverse!!

Hope this helps!!:thumb:

Adam
06-01-07, 01:37 PM
Thats for a nova /\

Calibra is completely different, the hub and strut are one item, and are a right bastid to remove.

Basically you have to remove the track end balljoint, wishbone balljoint, 30mm hub nut, brake disc, caliper, the top turret nuts.
Sounds easy in theory, but sometimes the balljoints will be completely seized and v. difficult to remove.

Ask on migweb for more info.

tom_bish
08-01-07, 09:35 PM
ok cheers. I can do a nova piece of piss. I helped a mate change a strut on his mk3 astra and it took us feking ages so i just wanted to know the correct procedure. Ive just claimed a haynes manual off ebay so that should be with me this week. I think i will be doing it this saturday.

Philsutton
08-01-07, 09:37 PM
pffffft you dont need to remove the brake disc, just take the caliper bracket off

Adam
09-01-07, 01:02 AM
Well the disc is only one screw anyway :p Lol

tom_bish
11-01-07, 09:02 AM
Yea might take the disc off depends how much of a b*stard the job becomes. Ive got an impact driver so that shuldnt be too hard.

Just read on Mig Web that there might be problems with the camber on the rear when lowering more than 40mm which would kill the tyres fairly quickly.
My Nova GSI was lowered 50mm (Pi Spring Kit) on 17s and i had no troubles with uneven tyre wear?

Also would shortened dampers help the situation? Im guessing they wouldnt solve the camber problem but they might help with the handling and ride quality.

tom_bish
11-01-07, 09:22 PM
Now got a haynes manual will be attempting this on the weekend. Ive joined clubcalibra.com theres lots of info on there to help me out. Tom