PDA

View Full Version : Nova track car engine

General Baxter
05-01-07, 10:08 PM
the poll is for which engine do you think would be the best for a track nova! for a first time tracker!

draper
05-01-07, 10:17 PM
1.2 lol

Will F
05-01-07, 10:20 PM
Whats 'best'?:roll:

They are all completely different and all need massive variations in spend!!

Pointless!!!

General Baxter
05-01-07, 10:22 PM
ok then the limit on spending is ?1500 (alltho i know you wont get a tuned let for that) includes all conversion costs aswell!

Mazz
05-01-07, 10:24 PM
tbh, i'd probarly go with a E/C16SE (not even mentioned!), then you could always XE/LET later on..

General Baxter
05-01-07, 10:25 PM
it only allows 10 polls tho lol

draper
05-01-07, 10:26 PM
1.6 16v, havent you already got the throttle bodies and manzel (sp) style inlet for it ??

Will F
05-01-07, 10:27 PM
?1500 rules out most of the above, considering what else needs modification if you go big block....

Chunky Lover
05-01-07, 11:33 PM
and for a first timer i would stay away from something too complicated as u dont want it breaking your heart!

ANDYRACER
05-01-07, 11:48 PM
Nova-?300
1.6 8v-?75
t40s-?300
cam-?100
coilovers-?250
Brakes V6-?100
buckets-?100
Wheels vauxhall 15"s-?100
Exhaust-?75
:thumb:

Adam
06-01-07, 12:19 AM
What he said /\

TB'd 1600/Xe, or a LET can't be done on that budget.

T40'd 1600 would make a nice first track car.

Martin
06-01-07, 12:29 PM
tbh, i'd probarly go with a E/C16SE (not even mentioned!), then you could always XE/LET later on..

so wats a 1.6 8v?

Go with the 8v 1600 mate..

Ash
06-01-07, 12:31 PM
im building a 1.6 8v T40 for road and track use. but if i had the money 1.6 16v TB. you could also get a 2.0 8v and buy my billy head, was may or may not fit :thumb:

Ash

SRlew
06-01-07, 06:43 PM
nah t40'd 1400 8v is where its at, or maybe a 1600

craig green
06-01-07, 07:23 PM
I'd have a small block twin cam with inlet mode (mantzel) for simplicity, reliability & just general fit & forget.

From there you have more tunability scope & will be knocking on the door of 145 bhp or so anyway.

I'm far from being against 8v's or twin carbs but the above will just be so much better to run & wont need setting up etc.

Rick Draper
06-01-07, 08:04 PM
Look at Mark Beesons turbo, mint car and it carnt half be pedaled quick around a track.

craig green
06-01-07, 08:11 PM
I wouldnt mind guessing that on a tight, slower course than the Nurburgring a normally aspirated smallblock Nova could be quicker.

draper
06-01-07, 08:20 PM
From there you have more tunability scope & will be knocking on the door of 145 bhp or so anyway.

would you really get that much extra power with the inlet mod ??

Lee
06-01-07, 08:53 PM
I wouldnt mind guessing that on a tight, slower course than the Nurburgring a normally aspirated smallblock Nova could be quicker.

I agree, IMO a turbo is not as good in a track car as you may think. Going quickly around track is all about smothness, and you cant drive a tubby smoothly on the limit. And the problem only gets worse the more boost you load on.

Id like to get out on track with Mr Sutton and see how well our cars compare with a 100bhp divide. Would be very interesting!

draper
06-01-07, 08:54 PM
Id like to get out on track with Mr Sutton and see how well our cars compare with a 100bhp divide. Would be very interesting!

dont think he'd last long enough with his exhaust lol

and its a bit more than 100bhp divide now/soon

Lee
06-01-07, 10:05 PM
dont think he'd last long enough with his exhaust lol

and its a bit more than 100bhp divide now/soon

only with the happy gas, and if he uses that on track, he gets 'Number 1 Nutter' status from me lol

Philsutton
06-01-07, 10:12 PM

Try a 200+bhp divide now lol, I very much doubt I can do any tracks now due to sound. However I can do the donny north show or whatever its called (chav fest) at donnington on the 7th of april. As they dont have any sound restrictions or they didnt last year wahoo.

Also i dont get the tubos dont work on track bit, ive driven both a n/a an turbo round a track and i wouldnt go back now. The turbo may have lag but if you make sure you never get off boost then the power is always there or in the power band like you would normally then i dont see a problem. At the end of the day I near enough the same set up as a normal n/a nova/corsa, the turbo doesnt make it go round corners less. lol

But anyway for a first track car you cant go wrong with a small block on carbs.

Lee
06-01-07, 10:23 PM
, the turbo doesnt make it go round corners less. lol

PMSL, no, its more down to throttle control. linier power will normally be better. BUT it does, at the end of the day come down to personal preferance and driving style.

And buy a decent exhaust you goddam chav! :D

Philsutton
06-01-07, 10:33 PM
It does take a tad more self control / driving ability not to just smoke the wheels or keep it where you want. One or another a lsd sould be top of the list for a track car.

Also my exhaust isnt loud its very quiet until it hits full boost then it goes a bit interesting, an the screamer pipe doesnt help lol

Lee
06-01-07, 10:43 PM
screamer pipe

Think ive just found your problem lol lol

Rick Draper
07-01-07, 12:46 AM
I agree, IMO a turbo is not as good in a track car as you may think. Going quickly around track is all about smothness, and you cant drive a tubby smoothly on the limit. And the problem only gets worse the more boost you load on.

Sorry but you are talking ****ing **** there. That is the sort of statement coming from a uneducated narrow minded **** who has never driven a turbo'd car before.

If the load of **** you posted in your statement was correct how come F1 and BTCC cars used to run turbo's until the FIA declared them illegal on cost and saftey grounds? Must be because they were to "un-smooth" to drive around a track :cry:

In actual fact on the limit a turbo car is very smooth to drive as you are always in the power band.

Ash
07-01-07, 01:01 AM
off post but, im 99% sure the BTCC Astra VXR was turbo'd

Baxter, dont you already have a C/X16XE from the pickup?

Ash

EDIT: cancel that - http://www.tripleeight.co.uk/2006_888/btcc/regs.asp

Adam
07-01-07, 01:09 AM
Baxter, dont you already have a C/X16XE from the pickup?

He traded it for the beemer,Lol.

Ash
07-01-07, 01:18 AM
thought that was the v6? so he sold probably (IMO) the best engine for a nova, and we all knew he'd have another one.

A

MOL
07-01-07, 01:45 AM
My vote goes with the 1600 16v lump

General Baxter
07-01-07, 10:33 AM
i only put a LET in the options as i picked up a cally turbo with 84k on for ?450 last week lol

engine for sale ?1500 with gearbox WOO lol

craig green
07-01-07, 01:15 PM
i only put a LET in the options as i picked up a cally turbo with 84k on for ?450 last week lol

Nowt like broadcasting your profit margin for all to see! lol

stuartp
07-01-07, 02:48 PM

Sounds interesting ya weeeeeep!!!

stuartp
07-01-07, 02:50 PM
ow yeah back to the topic 1.6 16v if i say any differnt i would be slagging my self off!!

Nazza's Nova
07-01-07, 03:13 PM
C16XE id go for or the or a tuneable 1.3 SR lump on T40's

womble sri
07-01-07, 03:20 PM
i voted 1.6 t40 after seeing dan vs dar on that small track. it could be down to talent but i rated dar as an excellent driver anyway. id like to see them both on coombe though as dar is an expert on that track. it was either 1.6 84 t40 or 1.6 16v on tb but the 8v wouldbe cheaper only costing the set of bodies against carbs but overall i dont think there would be much difference after tuning ect. although the baby valver could produce more power that is not too great an issue on the track i think the best mods are to the chassis. not that i have any track experience just theory.

neil

Martin
07-01-07, 03:25 PM
I can see this turning into a debate

big block small block etc lmao

The Simps
07-01-07, 03:40 PM
When you come to compare things like dan v dar above you have to make it fair. Driver experience of a track makes a BIG difference!

I voted fo 2.0 16v purely for budget reasons. If you built it yourself, you could build a stripped out Nova XE with decent supsension and brakes. On the same supsension and brakes setup it WILL be quicker than a 1.4/1.6 T40. Yes the small block may be lighter around corners but the big block will put so much distance between tem on the straights it makes up for it.

I remember the 1st time I went round donington in my XE. Engine was running around 172bhp/160lbft (not exactly standard), yellow billies, and 256mm brakes, full interior and awful very old hard tyres. Benji was at the same event with his 1.4 8 T40 which was fully stripped out, decent supsension & brakes. He videod a lap following me and yes every corner he was on my ass but on every straight (especially the back straight) I put distance between us again. Now I've gone LET this effect is even more so.

With no budget, the p3.5 let "properly" setup would be the fastest around an average UK circuit.

Simps.

If anyone wants to host it I've got the above mentioned video. Its about 6mb in size.

Lee
07-01-07, 04:17 PM
Sorry but you are talking ****ing **** there. That is the sort of statement coming from a uneducated narrow minded **** who has never driven a turbo'd car before.

If the load of **** you posted in your statement was correct how come F1 and BTCC cars used to run turbo's until the FIA declared them illegal on cost and saftey grounds? Must be because they were to "un-smooth" to drive around a track :cry:

In actual fact on the limit a turbo car is very smooth to drive as you are always in the power band.

Im not going to argue with you, but its normally narrow minded uneducated ****s who compare mega budget F1 and BTCC with people who build track cars in sheds. Yes, coupled with expensive traction control systems and other fancy expensive electronics and hardware, a turbo will be better all round, but were talking about a fcuking Nova, so i suggest you shut up. Ive probably driven more cars on track than youve played with yourself!

i voted 1.6 t40 after seeing dan vs dar on that small track. it could be down to talent but i rated dar as an excellent driver anyway. id like to see them both on coombe though as dar is an expert on that track. it was either 1.6 84 t40 or 1.6 16v on tb but the 8v wouldbe cheaper only costing the set of bodies against carbs but overall i dont think there would be much difference after tuning ect. although the baby valver could produce more power that is not too great an issue on the track i think the best mods are to the chassis. not that i have any track experience just theory.

neil

Sorry but if Dar was running the same tyres as Dan, he wouldnt have caught him. Dan was on Intermediate cut slicks, and Dar was on some seriously shagged out wet's! I was faster than Dar that day!!

Plus, howe often will you visit tracks like llandow? Once a year normally. On tracks like combe or Donnington, pace becomes more of an advantage. Not detracting from how good Dans car is, IMO it would take a lot for anyone to replicate that car for what it is!

The Simps
07-01-07, 04:29 PM
I have to agree with rick bottlethroddy.

Having gone from XE to LET and done plenty of trackdays the turbo is still ver driveable. You are nearly always on boost so there's no real sudden surges or anything like that which people for some reason think you might have???

Its definately quicker round than the XE.

Simps.

Lee
07-01-07, 04:38 PM
I have to agree with rick bottlethroddy.

Having gone from XE to LET and done plenty of trackdays the turbo is still ver driveable. You are nearly always on boost so there's no real sudden surges or anything like that which people for some reason think you might have???

Its definately quicker round than the XE.

Simps.
Yes, but your not comparing a 200bhp XE with a 200bhp LET are you.

And I also made this post that was ignored as well

PMSL, no, its more down to throttle control. linier power will normally be better. BUT it does, at the end of the day come down to personal preferance and driving style.
Like I said, im not going to argue with anyone, but the added rev range and linier power delivery WILL give you an advantage over a turbo running similar power on a track. How that advantage is used, or not used is up to the driver.

The Simps
07-01-07, 04:45 PM
I know what you're saying mate and a lot comes down to driving style like you said.

Yes a tb's xe will rev higher but 200bhp against 200bhp the let will still have a lot more torque which i think will balance it out.

Who knows! No real way to settle this one! lmao

Simps.

Dan
07-01-07, 04:49 PM
Sorry guys lee has a point there, The whole purpose of that vid was to prove 2 things..

1. ON THE DAY it doesnt matter what you have as something alot smaller can be alot faster and fun can still be had. your not there to race just to have fun

2. Following on from that track manners are there for everyone regardless of size of engine or how fast a car is on the straight (again what the vid shows excellently).

On the day in the wet i ran eagle f1's which gave me a big advantage over alot of cars coupled with the way i set mine up/prefer to drive. In the dry i was running pirelli inters and dar was running yoko a539's, which was stated originally when the vid was released again to show power is nothing if you cant get it down aswell so sometimes simple things like tyres can overcome tuning

Again as lee explained, mine is built for a certain way to show what 'can' be done on a relatively low budget. It doesnt have much power compared to what people are building now (it has been around for a while now lol) but its reliable and can be used to full effect.

FINALLY the point from simps, llandow for me and dar was that we had both done it once the previous year, and between us dar is a far more seasoned trackday person, i have prob done about 6-7 in total where as dar has prob tripled that over time if not more. So although i dont have much experience as such i know how to set a car up to my own preferences and i can control it on a tuppence regardless of shape it pulls which counts for alot. For me to go back and do combe for a second time in prob 5 years you couldnt compare me to dar who lives on there and sprints it lol which backs up what you rightly say about experience

Tbh what engine the car has doesnt matter to the likes of us, we are not seasoned pro racers that need every gram and bhp to count, we go out to scare ourselves silly and find our limits whilst having fun. We all adapt to the cars we drive so when it comes to the track differences would be out of the equation. ITS ALL ABOUT FUN which alot of people seem to forget

That probably reads alot of nonsense, i just typed as it flowed from my head lol lol lol lol

ANDYRACER
07-01-07, 04:51 PM
When you come to compare things like dan v dar above you have to make it fair. Driver experience of a track makes a BIG difference!

I voted fo 2.0 16v purely for budget reasons. If you built it yourself, you could build a stripped out Nova XE with decent supsension and brakes. On the same supsension and brakes setup it WILL be quicker than a 1.4/1.6 T40. Yes the small block may be lighter around corners but the big block will put so much distance between tem on the straights it makes up for it.

Simps.

Im building mine at the mo, and i havent even hit the 1k margain yet, and mine is xe, coilovers, 288m brakes, gsi front seats and harness's. :thumb:so it with ?1500 budget it could be a real monster.

Lee
07-01-07, 04:51 PM
Yes a tb's xe will rev higher but 200bhp against 200bhp the let will still have a lot more torque which i think will balance it out.

Exactly!!

And what do you think is more useable on a Nova (bearing in mind its FWD and very light?) on a circuit?

;)

stuartp
07-01-07, 10:00 PM
Dan that was spot on, people seem to forget its about FUN!!!!

R1CH
07-01-07, 11:19 PM
Was this just a general question from Mr Baxter or is there gonna be another unfinished project for sale in the next few months again ?
lol

Rich

Paul
07-01-07, 11:28 PM
I am converting mine into a trackday toy, its a tuned turbo, never done one before, but what the hell!

The reason i went for turbo over N/A, as i had an XE is because turbo lump came up cheap, and TB's cams etc only make approx 190-200, whereas, mine produce around 280bhp, and cost probly 1/5 of what a 200bhp XE would ahave cost me!

novanutted
08-01-07, 12:48 AM
turbo all the way

dhdev (Oli)
08-01-07, 03:13 PM
I say get a 2.0 XE

craig green
08-01-07, 03:46 PM
I am converting mine into a trackday toy, its a tuned turbo, never done one before, but what the hell!

The reason i went for turbo over N/A, as i had an XE is because turbo lump came up cheap, and TB's cams etc only make approx 190-200, whereas, mine produce around 280bhp, and cost probly 1/5 of what a 200bhp XE would ahave cost me!

I like your thinking there chap, unfortunately its not quite right.

An example would be, why dont ultra minted track day veterans run turbo motors instead of the TB'd XEs & Zetecs in Westfields etc?

Turbo engines provide a peaky & unstable power delivery, a 2.0 XE will be far more usable to drop down 2 gears entering a bend at 7000rpm & will have a smoother power delivery for the apex & exit.
A turbo'd car although having a typically higher output will not take kindly to being hammered in low gears into bends & will have too peaky (unpredictable) a power delivery for any mid bend line changes or feeding the power in & out.

Race cars should be very light anyway, which in part goes to offset the lack of torque compared to a forced induction engine you get from a TB'd motor.

Have you made the right choice? (LET) :thumb:

Dar
08-01-07, 04:02 PM
I would put either the 1.6 16v or the 2.0 16v engines in from that list.

Also Dan's car around Llandow is a rapid little thing. That video from my car proved that you can have a more powerful car, but if you cannot get that power down then its not worth diddly squat. It also goes to prove that you don't need big power to have fun and thats what putting the cars on track is all about:thumb:

The Simps
08-01-07, 04:15 PM
I say get a 2.0 XE

Thats a suprise! Aren't you one of the small block possie?

craig green
08-01-07, 05:20 PM
It also goes to prove that you don't need big power to have fun and thats what putting the cars on track is all about:thumb:

Too true. I'd have a 1.3SR with a mega sorted chassis anyday.

Paul
08-01-07, 07:06 PM
I like your thinking there chap, unfortunately its not quite right.

Have you made the right choice? (LET) :thumb:

As i said, you live and learn, i dont care how fast i go round a track, never done it before, so just about practising etc.

Plus i know you should not be coming 'on and off' power through a bend!

''A turbo'd car although having a typically higher output will not take kindly to being hammered in low gears into bends & will have too peaky (unpredictable) a power delivery for any mid bend line changes or feeding the power in & out.''

Its only a LET running a KKK, its not as though the boost all just kicks in at once, and throws you uncontrollably around. The boost comes in fairly smoothly.

As i say it has more power than any XE, so will reel them in down the straights

SRlew
08-01-07, 07:18 PM
I would put either the 1.6 16v or the 2.0 16v engines in from that list.

Also Dan's car around Llandow is a rapid little thing. That video from my car proved that you can have a more powerful car, but if you cannot get that power down then its not worth diddly squat. It also goes to prove that you don't need big power to have fun and thats what putting the cars on track is all about:thumb:

that makes me happy when i think of it that way, i always get slighty depressed thinking about the people with 250bhp etc, but i just want fun and thats what my 108bhp 8v is

Chris
08-01-07, 07:37 PM

You will be coming on and off the power which will force it into lift off oversteer. And when you reel 'them' in down the straights you will probably get past them with a claimed 280hp, then get to the corner and hold them up.

craig green
08-01-07, 07:53 PM
As i said, you live and learn, i dont care how fast i go round a track, never done it before, so just about practising etc.

''A turbo'd car although having a typically higher output will not take kindly to being hammered in low gears into bends & will have too peaky (unpredictable) a power delivery for any mid bend line changes or feeding the power in & out.''

Its only a LET running a KKK, its not as though the boost all just kicks in at once, and throws you uncontrollably around. The boost comes in fairly smoothly.

I wasnt looking to upset you or prove you wrong.

There are plenty of cars or Novas to that effect which will go against what I wrote & are very successfull on track (Beasties to name 1).

All I was getting at is that a high revving N/A engine is what works best on track in terms of how hard you can drill the thing continuously without overheating major components or simply giving the engine max revs & dropping it into silly gears into bends etc. An XE will take this abuse in its stride, time & time again.

I'd like to add that I actually built a Nova turbo for track & fast road use & yes I much prefer turbos to N/A. Just answer me this, why is the BTCC regulations for under 2000cc N/A and they all use direct to head TBs?

Same for single seater, & kit car racing etc?

The only exception is WRC really which has crazy rulings on power output & the motors are tuned around it anyway, producing max torque & bhp from pretty low revs with a linear curve to the redline.

No offence intended. ;)

edit; I know you shouldnt come on & off power mid bend, but you do feather the throttle when clipping an apex. A Smooth take up of power is more appreciated than a wodge of boost.
Thats what I meant!

Chris
08-01-07, 08:08 PM
totally different cars though. F1, BTCC cars are designed for circuit driving/racing. WRC cars are built/designed with shed loads of boost and loads of torque.

draper
08-01-07, 08:10 PM
lol at comparing novas to F1 BTCC etc

Stuart
08-01-07, 08:13 PM
power is nothing without control.....

The Simps
08-01-07, 08:41 PM
All I was getting at is that a high revving N/A engine is what works best on track in terms of how hard you can drill the thing continuously without overheating major components or simply giving the engine max revs & dropping it into silly gears into bends etc. An XE will take this abuse in its stride, time & time again.

Around Donington on an F16cr box I only ever use top end of 3rd, all of 4th and just touch into 5th. Its mostly about 3rd & 4th tho. On a dry track with decen tyres and a diff a standard LET or evn a slightly tuned one should not have a problem putting power down in those gears.

Simps.

Paul
08-01-07, 08:53 PM
Craig, as said mate,l Ive never been round a track, the reason im using LET power is because engine came up very cheap.

I've heard lots and lots about tuned NAs better than turbos on tracks.

But having gone from my XE to LET, i know what power difference is, XE Novas are not fast, they struggle with Saxo VTS's, and theyre crap!

A TB'd XE is a different matter, but an LET down the straights will Kill any XE, no matter what!

And a claimed 280? 13.1 @ 108 plastic tyres, wheelspin, 1st ever time down Pod, and launch wasnt good, i think the speed of the car speaks for itself! I know that doesnt prove much, but a RR printout ok? lol :thumb:

draper
08-01-07, 08:55 PM

i know what power difference is, XE Novas are not fast, they struggle with Saxo VTS's, and theyre crap!

have words with yourself !!! you'll need all the power you can by the sounds of it if you cant drive a XE quicker than a VTS ;)

Paul
08-01-07, 08:57 PM
XE Nova's are not fast! Simple as, XE=150bhp, plus 15yrs abuse = 140ish, Saxo VTS=130bhp, Saxo's are same weight roughly, so put 2 and 2 together, XE WILL struggle!

Lee
08-01-07, 09:01 PM
A TB'd XE is a different matter, but an LET down the straights will Kill any XE, no matter what!

Im sorry, but my 190 bhp XE and Dars 190bhp XE keeping up with Dave Marshalls 245 bhp phase 2 LET on the main straight at combe kind of makes that comment false!

But TBH, what do we know, you are obviously going to defend your beloved LET to the hilt, like mentioned before, its all supposed to be fun, so i will shut up now, and see you on track :thumb:

draper
08-01-07, 09:03 PM
saxos arent the same weight, unless its totally stripped out, my old XE would kill VTS's i wouldnt even waste the fuel !! i kept up with a saph cos running around 235bhp once and before anyone says yes he was trying

and a LET going to of had the same amount of abuse, prob more so

Dar
08-01-07, 09:08 PM
Mines not even that powerful. It has just 150bhp at the wheels. Power is not the be all and end all around a track. I catch much more powerful cars just by having a faster corner entry and exit speed.

Paul
08-01-07, 09:08 PM
lol, its not beloved its a car, but what im saying, having experienced XE, XE TB and LET, LET is quite clearly the fastest in my experience.

Im not denying yours and Dars arent fast round a track, you have loads of experience, and both seem to be very good drivers.

I have not once said a LET is better round a track than a XE on TBs, i just said, it wont come on boost and throw you off the track!

From my experience the LET power is very useable.

Paul

Philsutton
08-01-07, 09:10 PM
Going faster down the starights just means my brakes catch fire quicker lmfao.

Paul
08-01-07, 09:12 PM
fair do's im wrong, XEs are better

Damn F1 cars and BTC's, they should use XE's! ROFLMAO

Lee
08-01-07, 09:14 PM
lol, its not beloved its a car, but what im saying, having experienced XE, XE TB and LET, LET is quite clearly the fastest in my experience.

Im not denying yours and Dars arent fast round a track, you have loads of experience, and both seem to be very good drivers.

I have not once said a LET is better round a track than a XE on TBs, i just said, it wont come on boost and throw you off the track!

From my experience the LET power is very useable.

Paul

Like you have already said, you have no experience on track, so your drawing your experience of an XE and a LET purely from road / qtr mile use, and I would agree that a LET is the best choice on the road, but driving on a track is a completely different kettle of fish.

When you have tried them both on a track, i think you will be surprised pal. I know i was!!

Philsutton
08-01-07, 09:15 PM
what you really need is an xe on throttle bodies with a 150bhp shot of nitrous for down the straights, then you can go round the corners without crashing, because when it comes on boost an rips all the tarmac up its hard to steer into corners lmfao. Then you can pretend you have a turbo down the straights. lol

Paul
08-01-07, 09:17 PM
could well be, but as stated before a TB kit is like 2k with management, cams' verniers, and setting up will take that figure to around 3-4k including engine, now looking at that i could have bought over 20 of my engines!

Lee
08-01-07, 09:56 PM
could well be, but as stated before a TB kit is like 2k with management, cams' verniers, and setting up will take that figure to around 3-4k including engine, now looking at that i could have bought over 20 of my engines!

Oh god yeah, totally agree on that point.

But the question was whats better, not whats better value for money lol

Chris
08-01-07, 10:02 PM
I must say that I prefer the N/A way, as there is less to go wrong.

I ran my T45XE all year on track (every other weekend) and nothing went wrong. It got serviced once before I went to the ring. Dont know if a LET would be that reliable.

draper
08-01-07, 10:07 PM
I must say that I prefer the N/A way, as there is less to go wrong.

I ran my T45XE all year on track (every other weekend) and nothing went wrong. It got serviced once before I went to the ring. Dont know if a LET would be that reliable.

that would clinch it for me !!

dhdev (Oli)
08-01-07, 10:12 PM
Thats a suprise! Aren't you one of the small block possie?

I am, just thought I'd see if anyone spotted it lol

Seriously tho, on a low budget and if you wanna have fun either twin carb a 1.6 8v or 2.0 XE it. :thumb:

Don't set out to be faster than X or Y, just go out to improve your driving, get a sense of achievement and above all enjoy yourself! :D

Lee
08-01-07, 10:15 PM
I am, just thought I'd see if anyone spotted it lol

Seriously tho, on a low budget and if you wanna have fun either twin carb a 1.6 8v or 2.0 XE it. :thumb:

Don't set out to be faster than X or Y, just go out to improve your driving, get a sense of achievement and above all enjoy yourself! :D

And on that very mature and intelligent note, that should be the end of the thread IMO, as this debate could go on all day lol

Olis coming round to big blocks, olis coming round to big blocks

Chris
08-01-07, 10:15 PM
you could go out and enjoy a trackday in a TD tbh.

And take it on a trailer and fill it with cherry, a day on a track and use about ?4's worth of fuel

dhdev (Oli)
08-01-07, 10:34 PM
Olis coming round big blocks, olis coming round big blocks

You're right round the outside on the corners cos you hold me up :D

Lee
08-01-07, 10:39 PM
cheeky beggar! lol

dhdev (Oli)
08-01-07, 10:42 PM
Thats rich coming from mr ''small block = small cock'' lol

Lee
09-01-07, 05:35 PM
Thats rich coming from mr ''small block = small cock'' lol

Hey, theres a lot of truth in that, ive spoken to Dans Mrs lol lol lol

The Simps
09-01-07, 06:14 PM
lol lol lol

Dan
09-01-07, 06:21 PM
fpmsl, and as i always say, its not what you got its how you use it :thumb:

stuartp
09-01-07, 06:24 PM
its not the size of the nail its how you nail it home!!! buy the way im with oli on this debate!!
read the sig!!

Lee
09-01-07, 06:35 PM
its not the size of the nail its how you nail it home!!! buy the way im with oli on this debate!!
read the sig!!

Sorry, cant make it out, it says something about how small your willy is doesnt it? lol

Novadex
09-01-07, 06:48 PM
fpmsl, and as i always say, its not what you got its how you use it :thumb:

exacly! so a beginner would be better off starting with a 1.4 with T40.. lern how to use hat properly and work your way up! :thumb:

_JH_
09-01-07, 07:58 PM
reel them in down the straights

you make it sound oh so simple lol

Paul
09-01-07, 08:18 PM
you make it sound oh so simple lol

Whats so hard about going straight?

You just put your right foot on the rioght pedal, thats not rocket science :wtf:

Chris
09-01-07, 08:26 PM
going fast down the straight isnt rocket science.

But... keeping it on the track is when you have overtaken a 'quicker' car down the straight and he/she is pushing you into the bend and you are trying to pull away. Now thats more difficult.

Mike.
09-01-07, 08:28 PM
well i voted for the 1400 t40 i think it would be a great engine to get started with, thats why i'm building one

Paul
09-01-07, 08:31 PM
I agrre when you come to a bend it probably is difficult and could well end up in tears, but down a straight is nice and easy

The Simps
09-01-07, 10:11 PM
I think it shows that you've not been on a track lashed tbh.

Getting past the car on the straight is the easy bit but still making your braking point with the pressure of a car looming on you is the tricky bit.

Simps.

p.s. I think thats what Chris has just said lol