PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap

Anonymous
20-06-01, 01:00 PM
i have a GTE (F reg) and i want more power! so i've decided on 2 litre 8 valve engine, (i cant afford a 16 valve!). So, does anyone know any problems involed in putting a 2 litre 8 valve in? (astra GTE lump). Can i use standard GTE Driveshafts? do i need a exhaust manifold specialy made? What do i need to do to the wiring loom? can i bodge the nova loom or do i need the Astra wiring loom? does anyone has any good advice?
Ta!

Anonymous
20-06-01, 03:29 PM
If you wanna know all this you'd be best off asking Paul Jackson.
He is selling his Nova 2 litre 8valve at the moment for ?2500.
He did everything on it himself so he will know all the stuff you need to know.
Post the question again with the heading as something like FAO Paul Jackson.
Then sit back and wait for him...
Failing that... In a few days time email me and i'll give you his email address.

** Please Don't Spank Me TOO Hard... I Didn't Mean To Honest!!! **

Anonymous
20-06-01, 06:12 PM
James - Check what engine you get, as discussed recently on Nova_owners, Astra GTE ones are 115bhp (Only 15bhp more than your GTE) and Cavalier 130SRi ones are clearly 130bhp. Either one will require an astra/cav box, either an F16, or an F20. Nova boxes can't be used, so therefore Nova driveshafts can't be used. Exhaust manifold you'll need an astra one, maybe modded slightly to a nova down pipe, and system. Retain the Nova Loom, replace the ECU for the Astra one, but check the cabling. You'll need a different engine mount, which drops the offside engine mount by 1.5in or so.. These can be obtained from CarQuip. Just novas sell inner CV joints from Astras, so you could put these on your GTE driveshaft, and use Astra inners/Nova outers. Hope this lot helps a bit...

Anonymous
21-06-01, 07:47 AM
You could just buy mine? If notask Kev to put the 2.0 fitting guide on the articles section, I sent him it ages ago.

For sale 2.0 8v nova ?2500 ono. :(

Anonymous
21-06-01, 09:33 AM
lol the nova f13 box will fit fine just use the nova clutch/flywheel/starter
the flywheel will need the holes opening out and the starter will need twisting slightly easy :D

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---
--- 16v engine fitting advice ---

Anonymous
21-06-01, 11:11 AM
Astra GTE actually had 124bhp, and for a short period they used the legendary 130 lump in it too. I think the 130 lump was only used in d and E reg cars. I know coz I`ve had one with and one without, and the 130 lump not only has a higher BHP output, but it has a lot more torque. If you get one of these you will be giving the valvers a fair run for there money. The very early Mk2 GTE`s had the 1800i and they had 118bhp.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
21-06-01, 11:30 AM
you can see the different years and bhps by checking the ecu numbers on this page
http://www.atpelectronics.demon.co.uk/Catalogue/vauxhall.htm

Anonymous
21-06-01, 11:30 AM
you can see the different years and bhps by checking the ecu numbers on this page
http://www.atpelectronics.demon.co.uk/Catalogue/vauxhall.htm