PDA

View Full Version : Top hose... about to explode!!!

Lynsey
05-01-07, 12:54 AM
Right, it keeps swelling up... not just a bit, but almost to bursting point!!:eek:
I thought it was the pipe maybe because it had perished or whatever but have changed it for a perfectly healthy one, and it's now happened to this one too. :wall: So any ideas what it's likely to be? The temp is usually just below quarter and the heaters are nice and warm, i that helps? :tard: Thermostat? Blockage? I have no idea!! And now need another new pipe before this one gives way as it hs been rubbing on the slam panel :gay:

Any help is much appreciated...:p

Oh, and it's a 1.4 carb if that matters :roll:

mowgli
05-01-07, 06:26 AM
have you bled the air out of it by slackening the temp sender (on the inlet manifold)? the rad could be blocked up so it can't actually cool.
if the cooling is ok, then your head gasket might be the problem, if you change it, fit a new thermostat at the same time

Stuart
05-01-07, 08:19 AM
sounds like a combo of naffed thermostat (to give the cold readings) and a head gasket on its way out

macc nova
05-01-07, 11:53 AM
mine did this lynz, turned out to be when i flushed the system the top hose was leakin air in, this caused the top hose to over pressurizing! i took it off and refitted it and then it was fine.

Lynsey
05-01-07, 11:58 AM
Cheers fellas... :thumb: Always so helpful ;)
So shall I go and get a new thermostat and head gasket (and the rest...) then? :(
And the head will need skimming right? :tard: If so, do you know anywhere close Macc nova?

Matt2107
05-01-07, 12:16 PM
You could probably get away with out skimming the head but its best to have it done.

macc nova
05-01-07, 12:21 PM
theres a place near stockport that does it cant think what its called of the top of me head! I'll ask george as he's used them before

ANDYRACER
05-01-07, 12:23 PM
Personally Lynz i wouldnt skim the head, i only see the point in skimming if the engine over heated and could warped the head.
I never skimmed my nova sri head due to it not overheating. ;)

Personally it sounds like a blockage somewhere, undo the bottom hose, and run a hose pipe threw the water bottle. and remove the thermstate while u do it, then refit a new one and give it ago.

If u want a hand im off tomorrow :thumb:

ANDYRACER
05-01-07, 12:24 PM
Oh and if you really want to get the head skimmed there is mersons in hazel grove, have a look in the yellow pages.

Lynsey
05-01-07, 01:54 PM
'Merson's', Thats the fellas I was thinking of!! :thumb:
And, working tomorrow, might sort it monday if i can use my mum's car (and her shoes, sh**ty 106 pedals don't like my dc's lol).lol
And no it hasn't been reading that it is overheating but if the thermostat is broke then it could have been couldn't it? :confused: Might get it done anyway, as I am showered with bad luck at the mo...

Benn
08-01-07, 08:28 PM
no need to skim a head anless theres lumps/bits/chunks on the mating surfaces,

ANDYRACER
08-01-07, 08:34 PM
You sorted it yet you lazy sod?