PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Car !!!

Anonymous
18-06-01, 12:27 PM
My car stinks of petrol !
I have checked all of the fuel pipes and there's no leaks and it doesnt smell under the car, when I'm driving along it really smells strong. I have noticed that recently I am not getting as many miles to a full tank as I normally do either.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it but my exhaust is doing a hell of alot of popping at the moment, when I boot it and decelerate it pops alot.

Any Ideas ????

;)Never be afraid to try anything new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the Titanic !;)

Anonymous
18-06-01, 12:47 PM
Sounds like your either running very rich, or not all of your fuel is being burnt.

I`m used to it with 40`s, I can get it to pop on overun, and if I`m really pushing it I get flames out of the exhaust! Cool!

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
18-06-01, 01:38 PM
you sure theres no cracks in fuel line cos its hard to see eveywhere and that could be a problem.

But its prob ur mixture cos i "experimented" with mine a while ago and had same prob but i changed it back b4 popping from the exhaust cos it stinks and it aint too healthy for ur motor.

id change spark plugs too

(thats virtually wot MC said aint it? lol)

[-dave_hay.jpg-]
Dave_Hay@novaload.org.uk
Dave_Hay5@hotmail.com

Anonymous
18-06-01, 02:02 PM
I only put Bosch Super 4's on there about 5 weeks ago, would I still need to change them
?
I tried to knock up the idle speed last week but it didn't seem to make much difference so I put it back how it was, could this be something to do with it ?

I'm also having it electronically tuned tomorrow, so would it be worth while seeing if that makes a difference ?

;)Never be afraid to try anything new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the Titanic !;)

Anonymous
18-06-01, 02:08 PM
u got carb or injection?

if its carb theres a screw under the throttle linkage which u need to adjust. its tuff to see dont adjust it too much or ull never get it rite and it will need tuned.

but a tune would fix it id have said and id put in ngk plugs for a while see if theres ne difference.

[-dave_hay.jpg-]
Dave_Hay@novaload.org.uk
Dave_Hay5@hotmail.com

Anonymous
18-06-01, 02:14 PM
Its a Carb, I think its twin choke (it has a automatic choke if that helps) I think thats the screw I messed about with last week. As I said, I'm getting it tuned tomorrow so they should be able to sort it out, do you rekon ? Apperntly this guy who is going to tune it is really good with carbs.

Anonymous
18-06-01, 02:42 PM
A tune up will sort it m8. You mention Bosch super 4s. I used em for a while, then binned em coz I wasnt combusting all of the fuel. They pick the shortest route of all four tips, but shortest route doesnt give best performance.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
18-06-01, 02:56 PM
seen this before it was a leak on the top of the tank it would only smell when you are driving it when it is stood still the fumes evaporate from the top so no smell from under the car and it took some finding

Anonymous
18-06-01, 04:00 PM
On my cavalier GSi, I had a leak that let fuel out until the car warmed up and then the pipe expanded enough to seal and it would stop.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
18-06-01, 06:28 PM
bosch super 4's are utter wank!!! get NGK R plugs they are half the cost and a million times better!!

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
18-06-01, 11:29 PM
I used to get a strong smell of petrol, but all my fuel pipes seamed fine.
I replaced them all anyway, and it no longer smells!

(only replaced the rubber ones in the engine bay...not all the pipes)

My old A-reg Nova 1.2L had a fucker of a leak on the fuel tank.
When I filled up at a petrol station, I had to be careful how much I filled it, 'cos too much, and it'd start streaming out of the tank.
I used to leave huge puddles behind, and dread to think how much money I wasted on fuel!
If I kept the tank on the lower half though, it didn't leak, and got good mpg.

Anonymous
19-06-01, 09:00 AM
How hard is it to change the fuel pipes rich.dale and how much did they cost you ?

Anonymous
19-06-01, 09:40 AM
fuel pipes dont cost a great deal an you can change em in about 10 minutes