PDA

View Full Version : my new car

chimp007_uk
04-01-07, 05:51 PM
as the saloon went tits up as my mate had got the story wrong, and they were only thinking of selling it... and i was waiting ages for pics of a 1.2i, which actually turned out to be pretty mint :(

i bought...

another red gte :) yay:)

needs a bit of work mind, but 9months mot 2months tax, bodywork is pretty good, gave it a clean and a polish today and came up sparkling. has standard (blowing) exhaust, k&n induction kit and some pretty nice bk racing 15" wheels (one is missing a centre cap), jamex front shocks and lowering springs, grooved front discs and a new water pump. has a few small dents, including one on the roof, and has had a fair bit of welding in the rear and 2 bits under the engine bay, but for the small some of...

?350 i'm pretty happy lol :D

bought some new pads, gave it an oil change, filled up the gear box with oil, and luckily all the plugs, leads etc were brand new...

things that need sorting:

fit new pads
sort out drivers window (drops inside door when lowered down)
fit new leccy window switch

biggest problem is the steering... and i'm driving back to swansea on sunday/monday so i need it to be safe. theres no play in the driver's arm (havent checked the passengers), the car doesn't pull to one side, just is positive... :( :confused:
steering in loose... :confused: could this be the rack? the wheels are towing out a fair bit. (wheels also need balancing) i have a quick rack that i could fit, but never fitted a rack before...

any ideas anyone? anyone local to watford fancy lending a hand to fit a new rack before sunday? :thumb: it would be very appreciated!

will get some pics up asap

chris

Lee
04-01-07, 05:55 PM
Rack / column probably isnt loose, the extensive tow out is probably making you think it is due to the car wandering around the road. Get it tracked up!

chimp007_uk
04-01-07, 06:19 PM
cheers bt, i had one day insurance on it from last night till tonight so i could get it home, but everywhere round here was too busy to do the tracking today, found a local place that will do it tomorrow for ?20 but again gotta get the car insured for a day...

will get it tracked up tomorrow and let you know. anyone free sat??? if not...

Matt2107
05-01-07, 10:17 AM
Nice one mate.

Get some pics up

craig green
05-01-07, 11:02 AM
Nice one! Pics would be cool.

b3n^
05-01-07, 11:32 AM
has a few small dents, including one on the roof

owned!! Must of rolled it tbh!! gd luck with that dent! hehe! lol some pics would be spot on!

Jack
05-01-07, 11:39 AM
lmfao, roll a Nova and the roof will be crushed, not just dented lol

b3n^
05-01-07, 12:16 PM
:eek: its one of them cardboard shell jobbies is it! lol owned.....

chimp007_uk
05-01-07, 01:05 PM
owned????

its had something dropping on it, its not a crease or anything like that, hasnt cracked the paint.

will take some pics now.

had an interesting phone call with the insurance, as i got a quote of ?1896 to insure tha car after the accident, so rang up to change the cars over for the remainder of the policy and that was free, then they quote me ?814 to renew the policy from feb, so i jumped at it lol...

getting the tracking done in 5mins, so fingers crossed :(

chimp007_uk
05-01-07, 02:00 PM
tracking place couldn't do it, didnt have a gas torch to heat the nuts up... its 4mm out would this cause that much looseness in the steering? i think its something more serious. but have 2days to sort it!!!

gearbox or so i believe has a whirring sound from 50mph and is louder when coasting, and stops when the clutch is engaged any ideas?

gonna have to take it to quick fit for tracking, ?30... robbery!

craig green
05-01-07, 02:04 PM
release bearing or diff bearings. Leave it!

Good news on the insurance front. Wish I could say the same.

craig green
05-01-07, 02:05 PM
If the dude meant 4 degrees yes that is a fair amount.

Get in there & jack it up & spray copious amounts of WD40 etc onto the ends & threads of the track rods & rod ends.

chimp007_uk
05-01-07, 02:57 PM
gonna pay ?30 and get it done... couls that really cause the steering to feel so bad... i'm worrying.

sorry, it was 4degrees, dont know why i put mm.

whats wrong with your insurance? i think i got it so cheap cause the claim hasn't gona through... but i did say at the start of the call i would like to change the car on my policy after my accident on the 21/12/2006... FOOLS lol

oh, and is the bearing sound not a major problem? the box feels good...

Jack
05-01-07, 03:05 PM
whats wrong with your insurance?
Craig's having problems with Adrian Flux at the moment, take a look in the Insurance Forum to see his predicament.

Matt2107
05-01-07, 03:06 PM
Chimp... if they need to heat up the nuts I'd go buy some new track rod ends. Then use a plumbers blow lamp to get the old ones off and take it back with brand spankers track rod ends.... they are pretty cheap.

chimp007_uk
05-01-07, 03:09 PM
i've got a quick rack to fit, that i will fit at easter when back, but at this poijt in time i just want the steering to be ok so i can get back to uni... did ask at my motorfactors for a new pair the other day but didnt have any... would have to order them in.

chimp007_uk
05-01-07, 03:20 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/chimp007_uk/DSC06452.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/chimp007_uk/DSC06455.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/chimp007_uk/DSC06453.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/chimp007_uk/DSC06456.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/chimp007_uk/DSC06454.jpg

there you go

craig green
05-01-07, 03:24 PM
Looks alright. I dislike the wheels with a passion (not your fault) & its a shame the lower bumpers have been poorly sprayed. Much nicer in grey IMO.

Hope it serves you well though fella & good luck with it.

chimp007_uk
05-01-07, 03:27 PM
cheers mate, just read about your insurance troubles... gits!

going to take the bumpers off and repair and respray them and sell the wheels, one is missing a centra cap which is quite annoying.

Adam
05-01-07, 03:47 PM
Looks tidy that, proper bargain. Shame about the dent.

The gearbox whirring wont be the release bearing if it goes when you press the clutch down.
Check the box oil level is spot on.

b3n^
05-01-07, 03:51 PM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet bit of kit you have well played :thumb:

BigStan
05-01-07, 04:13 PM
Been rolled hasnt it, just judging by the dent ! lol

chimp007_uk
05-01-07, 04:41 PM
havent checked the oil but put some loads in...

got 4 wheel alignment done, steering is so much better, although i think the discs are warped, they're brand new grooved discs as well... spin the wheel and theres no gripping then not etc...

gearbox whir is still there, stops when u engage the clutch

draper
05-01-07, 04:47 PM
looks good matey, sort the little bits out and it'll be lovely

id of changed the plates from your crashed 1 lol

chimp007_uk
05-01-07, 04:49 PM
why change the plates from the crashed one????

u mean discs? i got ate 16v calipers and dics on that... suppose i could fit them... but i did want to keep this one standard for the time being.

draper
05-01-07, 04:56 PM
no plates, and then not claimed ;) :thumb:

LUV2XLR8
05-01-07, 05:03 PM
yo fella, nice car youve got. if your after a set of big brakes next time your down swansea gie a shout. my nova should be ready by next week :D just gota get an mot tax and swap my insurance over :P cant waight. i should be getting money from the insurance company so that means i can start to build the engine :D

craig green
05-01-07, 06:53 PM
gearbox whir is still there, stops when u engage the clutch

Sounds like the release/thrust bearing. Otherwise it may be the input shaft bearings, but I doubt it unless the box has been hammerd.

Could it be a wheel bearing that you hear whirring at speed?

chimp007_uk
05-01-07, 08:11 PM
Could it be a wheel bearing that you hear whirring at speed?

if it was a wheel bearing surely i'd hear it all the time and it would be louder going round a corner, its loudish but completely stops at whatever speed when you engage the clutch... i'm guessing it's gearbox.

no plates, and then not claimed ;) :thumb:

i couldn't do that, i'm honest lol and the police attended the accident etc and the other car involved was destroyed and their claiming off my insurance etc...

LUV2XLR8, i'm hopefully going to be back down in swansea on monday, but got alot of uni work to do this week, as i havent had a chance to get it done whilst i've been dealing with the car etc. i'll have to pop over yours and see you car, it's looking good.
with regards the big brakes, i've got a set of astra 2litre 16v ATE calipers and grooved discs on my crashed GTE, but i really want to start fresh on this gte and keep it relatively standard for the time being. when i set it up for rallying in the future, i'll get some new discs and 1155 pads and fit them then. thanks though.

Adam
05-01-07, 08:25 PM
Sounds like input shaft bearings.

Its not the thrust/release bearing as that does nothing until you press the clutch, so if it was that you would get the noise when you pressed the clutch, not when the clutch pedal is released.

chimp007_uk
05-01-07, 09:29 PM
serious???? i've got to get to swansea and back and poodle arouns while i'm there etc