PDA

View Full Version : Street racing

dannyb
04-01-07, 10:26 AM
One utterly forgivable example of street racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9LqJtDP6ic

Ash
04-01-07, 11:13 AM
that was from a film and then redone with the same car and driver 20 or 30 years later iirc. it's a merc SEL 6.9 but the engine sound is a ferrari something, watched a longer version a while ago.

Ash

Lee
04-01-07, 05:10 PM
I hate this video for so many reasons! Not only the dubbing, but for the fact that the guy really isnt going that fast at all!

The straight it goes down towards the beginning, the engine note will have you believe its pretty much flat out, which would be over 160MPH, and then overtakes another car which appears to be travelling only a bit slower!! Then he goes into a roundabout without slowing down at all.

Its unbelievably ghey! lol

H15 NVA
04-01-07, 05:15 PM
how **** is that!!!! its just had engine noise over the top to make it seem like hes goin faster!!! if he was driving fast then so were all other cars on the road cos it takes him ages to catch anythin!!!!

Jack
04-01-07, 05:39 PM
REEEEEEEEEEEEEPOST :D

But yeah, its badly dubbed (the engine noises don't match how the car accelerates!) the guy really isn't going that fast!

Rexy
04-01-07, 05:54 PM
pmsl....

Well done

rc
04-01-07, 05:57 PM
mite record that and put in my cd player, make me feel like im goin faster lol

scott.parker
04-01-07, 07:47 PM
Couldnt be ****d for the crap to buffer!

mowgli
05-01-07, 05:58 AM
it was done in the sixties with a ferrari 275 with a 16mm camera fixed to the bonnet, because a famous french film director had 9 minutes of film left over from his last project.

I've just watched the whole thing, & I reckon it is the genuine article for the following reasons.
1. the microphone was right next to the engine, and only a sixties ferrari v12 sounds like that.
2. the tyre squeal, modern rubber has a lot more grip.
3. the other vehicles are all old
4. there was not one McDonalds (or similar) sign anywhere.
5. I once read an article about it & it mentioned the bin lorry.

BigStan
05-01-07, 04:06 PM
Was quite interesting

savs_redtop
05-01-07, 07:18 PM
:confused: Im not sure thats real because about on 3:09 there a taxi or something thats breaking and you hear the engine still revving but it screeches almost certain its not that taxi locking up!

welsh_roadrally
06-01-07, 06:12 AM
If you want to see a better example of driving on closed public roads in a road car check this out: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=636338748934687490&q=tony+pond
The late Tony Pond setting the production car lap record around the Isle of Man TT course in 1990,102mph average speed in a Production Rover 827 (Honda V6),the record still stands today

draper
06-01-07, 09:48 AM
the first film is terrible, id be faster in the nova for gods sake

dannyb
06-01-07, 12:11 PM
The isle of Man vid is good, and Tony Pond is an awesome driver (the master of the 6R4). Does anyone know how modified the Rover is though (Im not sure about motorsport rules and regs)? I didnt realise how nice the Isle of Man is, I might have to go there in a hire car this summer!

Geth
06-01-07, 03:15 PM
If you want to see a better example of driving on closed public roads in a road car check this out: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=636338748934687490&q=tony+pond
The late Tony Pond setting the production car lap record around the Isle of Man TT course in 1990,102mph average speed in a Production Rover 827 (Honda V6),the record still stands today

Driving perfection. Brought a tier to my eye.

I remember reading about that in Motoring News news when it happened but that's the first time I've ever seen any footage of it. Brilliant!

JSeymour
06-01-07, 04:43 PM

braking with your left foot!:eek: thats some good driving might have to try it outlol

Geth
06-01-07, 04:51 PM
All rally drivers brake with their left foot. I wouldn't advice trying it on public roads at high speed though as it takes months of practice to make your left foot as sensetive as your right. I still can't do it properly and I come from a karting background where you have to use your left foot to brake.

draper
06-01-07, 05:43 PM
i tried it once, and banged my head on the steering wheel !!! always wear your seatbelt kids lol

mowgli
06-01-07, 08:19 PM
:confused: Im not sure thats real because about on 3:09 there a taxi or something thats breaking and you hear the engine still revving but it screeches almost certain its not that taxi locking up!

HAVE YOU NEVER HEARD OF REAR WHEEL DRIVE????????
It allows you to lock up the front wheels whilst still revving the engine

Have any of you people ever driven in paris????? the roads round the Arc de Triumphe are about 30 metres wide, the roundabouts have 8 lanes, he was driving a ferrari 275, (5 speed box, max speed about 180mph) it would have trouble pulling massive top speed on an uphill road in a city, and when he got to the roundabout he didn't need to slow down.

Ok he probably wasn't going balls out fast because it was on public roads at 5am & he had to keep looking out for other vehicles.

welsh_roadrally
06-01-07, 08:26 PM
The isle of Man vid is good, and Tony Pond is an awesome driver (the master of the 6R4). Does anyone know how modified the Rover is though (Im not sure about motorsport rules and regs)? I didnt realise how nice the Isle of Man is, I might have to go there in a hire car this summer!
Was a standard production car modfied for saftey i.e cage,seat,harness,only mods were straight through exhaust so the marshalls could hear him coming;) uprated pads,suspension and slick tires,but it had ballast to make the weight the same as the production car.
Tony was one of the nicest people in motorsport,a real talent who was loyal to BL when other drives could have made him a force in international rallying
R.I.P a great man.

Lee
06-01-07, 09:09 PM
HAVE YOU NEVER HEARD OF REAR WHEEL DRIVE????????
It allows you to lock up the front wheels whilst still revving the engine

Have any of you people ever driven in paris????? the roads round the Arc de Triumphe are about 30 metres wide, the roundabouts have 8 lanes, he was driving a ferrari 275, (5 speed box, max speed about 180mph) it would have trouble pulling massive top speed on an uphill road in a city, and when he got to the roundabout he didn't need to slow down.

Ok he probably wasn't going balls out fast because it was on public roads at 5am & he had to keep looking out for other vehicles.

You the kind of person i like to sell chocolate fireguards to lol

H15 NVA
07-01-07, 01:31 PM
check these two nutters out, traffic dosent bother them!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Uloe06A4U

draper
07-01-07, 01:33 PM
pfft, i used to drive like that to get home from work fri afternoons lol

Philsutton
07-01-07, 01:42 PM
Those two are tools, would have been good if they had wiped each other out and died.

mowgli
07-01-07, 01:43 PM
Not to detract from The late great Tony Pond (I actually bunked off school to see him finish 3rd overall on the RAC in the 6r4 at woolaton park in Nottingham) but the Isle of man thing was a publicity based thing on closed off roads, and the car will have been extensively modded & tested, even though it is 'Standard', & he would have been thrashing round the tt course for days to learn the route.
If, for example Colin McRae had a go in a proper modern day car, ie an imprezza or an M3, he would probably average somewhere about 115-120mph

JJL
07-01-07, 08:41 PM
Didn't think that Rover 800 vitesses had a v6 mines got 2.0l turbo t16

JJL
07-01-07, 08:42 PM
P.S mine doesn't handle that well either lol

draper
07-01-07, 09:16 PM
there a bloke round here with a turbo'd rover barge, kept driving up and down my road giving it some booooost - my how me and sav laughed !!

rc
07-01-07, 09:42 PM

stunning driving! i went to the isle of man TT races last year (unfortunally same week as pv show in june:( ) and was the best thing i've ever seen! :) and watching that video the whole lap (scenery, buildings etc) it looks exactly the same back in 1990 as it did in 2006, nothings changed lol

Lee
08-01-07, 10:22 AM
stunning driving! i went to the isle of man TT races last year (unfortunally same week as pv show in june:( ) and was the best thing i've ever seen! :) and watching that video the whole lap (scenery, buildings etc) it looks exactly the same back in 1990 as it did in 2006, nothings changed lol

Wont be long till its banned due to health and safety i imagine so its best to get up there and watch whenever you can IMO!!