PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 t40

womble sri
03-01-07, 11:11 PM
before anyone starts i have read stus guide and have been down the route with a 1400.

basically my sr is in desperate need of a rebuild im gonna send the carbs off to bog bros for a recon, or if anyone knows any other places that would be great, and start stripping the shell for a weekend at my mates with the welder. now im wondering i want a 1600 engine or perhaps a bit more depending on how much its bored by think they can take it up to 1650? and i was wondering whether the blocks are the same just the cc is different because i have a spare 1400 se bottom end and was wondering if it was worth boring that right out or would i be better to get the 1600 bottom as the machining costs would be to high. bearing in mind im going for a silly spec and know its not going to be cheap. and what about pistons and compression ratio im new to all the really technical side of things so any help would be much appreciated.

Adam
04-01-07, 12:05 AM
Get a 1600 block bored to 1650cc.
Ask whoever does the block work to sort oversized pistons.
I think a compression ratio of about 10ish:1 should be fine.

Sure i remember Stu saying 10-11:1

Stuart
04-01-07, 08:19 AM
1650 is "the norm" for most silly spec 1600's

use a 1600 block, its just easier than guessing lol.
id rebuild the carbs yourself if i were you. Its not that hard and you cna get all the parts from fastroadandrace on ebay so you'd save a load of cash, plus learn how to sort the carbs ;)