PDA

View Full Version : 1.4SR Trouble

Anonymous
15-06-01, 01:32 PM
Right,

my nova is having a bit of trouble. when it has a gsi radiator fitted to it, and so the temp is always in the blue when i'm moving, when i stop in trafic it goes up slowly and gets to about just under half on the gage.
When this happens the revs then start to idle at 500 rpm, it has always done this and it has never been a problem as when you drive off and the temp goes down the engine will then start to idle right again.

but now when all this happens the car starts to smell hot and smells like somthings burning but i have searched everywhere and not found anything. the exhaust also smells petroly when this is all happening.

any ideas, cos i havent a clue!

Anonymous
15-06-01, 04:30 PM
id say mixture too lean.(exhaust smell) needs adjusted?

and the radiator u sure its working rite? try flushing it and reverse flushing it.

tis wot id do and then id hope it worked after :D

[-dave_hay.jpg-]
Dave_Hay@novaload.org.uk
Dave_Hay5@hotmail.com

Anonymous
15-06-01, 04:36 PM
oh forgot to say take a look at fenixs overheating post below.

[-dave_hay.jpg-]
Dave_Hay@novaload.org.uk
Dave_Hay5@hotmail.com

Anonymous
15-06-01, 04:48 PM
check yer thermostat!

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
15-06-01, 04:57 PM
erm i meant rich not lean :)

[-dave_hay.jpg-]
Dave_Hay@novaload.org.uk
Dave_Hay5@hotmail.com

Anonymous
15-06-01, 08:08 PM
HEHE

the reason why the revs die?

thats easy

what happens in the radiator fan comes on.... and it sucks a LOT of power away... i got me 1.3sr idling normally at 1krpm exactly. with lights on it goes to about 900...

but in traffic today, radiator fan came on caus was in traffic, and revs drop to about 800... maybe lower... all caus of power drain. its prolly to do with shit battery too, caus its always low on charge.

simple item.

Anonymous
15-06-01, 08:27 PM
it aint the fan mate. cos it only comes on for a while, (30 seconds- 1 min) and that does not make any difference to the revs, the fan can come on and switch off without changing anything.
it stays idling low for about 15 mins after you have got out of traffic and the temp has dropped down
then for no reason it will go back to 1000 until you get stuck again
wierd!!!

Nova 1.3SR, f-reg red 4 sale ?400

Anonymous
16-06-01, 09:10 PM
ahh

well with mine, revs only dip when hot when the fan comes on

it runs faster when warm than when cold

Anonymous
17-06-01, 10:15 PM
Possibly a plug, lead or cap failing at higher temps? would stop the cylinder firing, pumping unburnt petol vapour into the exhausts and slowing the engine. Next time the revs drop at idle, get a pair off insulated pliers and take one cap off at a time and see which one doesn`t affect the idle/stall the engine. At least then you`ll know which cylinder is down. Could also be start of head gasket trouble as the cooling system runs at higher pressure at higher temps. Just a couple of ideas ;)

Anonymous
18-06-01, 01:19 PM
cheers keith

Nova 1.3SR, f-reg red 4 sale ?400