PDA

View Full Version : BEEMER 318Is

H15 NVA
03-01-07, 12:01 PM
Hey guys just after a little info, am looking at buying a Bmw e36 318is as a daily drive while i build the nova and just wondered if anyone has had any experience with them or knows what to look out for when buyin one? any help would be great.

cheers.

dannyb
03-01-07, 12:59 PM
Whereas the E30 318iS can be a bit of a handfull, the E36 318iS (same 140bhp engine iirc) is a bit stodgy. Its power to weight ratio isn't great and you really need 2 more cylinders. E36s aren't as sideways as E30s, but handle well considering their weight due to the decent multi link rear axle and sensible shock and spring combination (that doesnt need to be played with).
My money would definitely be on the 6 cylinder 320i though with 150bhp and a decent amount of torque.

Look out for high milers and clocked ones (worn pedals, seats etc)
Don't go near M3 replicas or bodykitted examples, there are plenty about being sold by older people who've cherished their car and will have a book of BMW stamps - these are essential if you want good resale.
Watch for over heating, this is the thing that kills most BMWs as the engines are usually strong.
My experiences as a BMW owner are that they are comfortable, luxurious motors, but costly to run in all aspects of ownership. Buy a decent one and keep it that way if you want to get any cash back as there are still so many good examples on the market that you will be competing against when you sell yours. Don't be rushed into buying one, or buying with your heart over your head. If you see a dog out one, you can walk away as its not the only zim zimmer in the area for sale.

Adam
03-01-07, 01:22 PM
Get a E30, not a E36!, Lol

draper
03-01-07, 01:26 PM
buy a ?200 nova as a runaround

H15 NVA
03-01-07, 02:17 PM
Whereas the E30 318iS can be a bit of a handfull, the E36 318iS (same 140bhp engine iirc) is a bit stodgy. Its power to weight ratio isn't great and you really need 2 more cylinders. E36s aren't as sideways as E30s, but handle well considering their weight due to the decent multi link rear axle and sensible shock and spring combination (that doesnt need to be played with).
My money would definitely be on the 6 cylinder 320i though with 150bhp and a decent amount of torque.

cheers dan, am mainly going for the 318is as they have sports susp etc fitted as standard and as far as the specs show they're quicker than the 320i.

welsh_roadrally
03-01-07, 02:49 PM
cheers dan, am mainly going for the 318is as they have sports susp etc fitted as standard and as far as the specs show they're quicker than the 320i.

On Paper they maybe Quicker but not on the roadlol
I Sold a 4 year old Corsa 1.4 Sport to finance a 318iS a local garage was taking in part-ex (six years ago)Test drove the BM and wished i'd kept the Corsa it was that under powered!,drove 3 others and they were the same,a 320 is a far better prospect,4 cylinder BMW's are in the same league as 3 cylinder Vauxhall's:D

H15 NVA
03-01-07, 02:52 PM
ill test drive few of both then ,speed n power aint really what im buying it for, just a daily drive with some style and comforts etc, have the xe'd nova for the speed snd fun. but wanna limit how much i drive it as it very nearly lost me my licence as i cant drive it slowly!!!

Philsutton
03-01-07, 08:11 PM
i had a 316 for a brief time......................it was sh*te end of

euro sbd
03-01-07, 08:32 PM
alright stu
i had the e30 325i it was brilliant mate i loved it, ide get another one. cool old skool shape aswell:thumb:

H15 NVA
03-01-07, 08:44 PM
alright stu
i had the e30 325i it was brilliant mate i loved it, ide get another one. cool old skool shape aswell:thumb:

cheers craig i jus prefer the e36 and dont want big engine as got nova for speed, whole point of it is to slow me down

General Baxter
03-01-07, 09:02 PM
alright stu

yep mine scares the **** out of me lol

altho iv done 500miles since iv owned it and put ?370 worth of fuel in it lol

rednova
03-01-07, 09:32 PM
yep mine scares the **** out of me lol

altho iv done 500miles since iv owned it and put ?370 worth of fuel in it lol

some of those miles wouldnt be sideways would they :thumb:

draper
03-01-07, 09:36 PM
some of those miles wouldnt be sideways would they :thumb:

not some, prob most lol