PDA

View Full Version : FAO people who rally novas

Voodoo
03-01-07, 12:00 AM
Hey guys,

I'm helping build up a 20xe nova, that will be used on both tarmac and gravel rallyes.
The problem is, we're fitting GAZ coilovers on the front, but don't know what spring length and poundage to use, as there's little experience with this car/engine combo here in Portugal, so no one can advise us.
Also, the kind folks at GAZ never bothered to reply to my email!!
Can anyone help?

Cheers!

Mazz
03-01-07, 10:59 AM
iirc its 300lb front springs for the XE

Robo
07-01-07, 01:00 PM
iirc its 300lb front springs for the XE

correct:thumb:

craig green
07-01-07, 01:02 PM
9" ?

R1CH
07-01-07, 01:09 PM
9" ?

I've got GAZ coilovers on mine and the springs are 9". Aren't you gonna need different rate springs for Gravel & Tarmac ?

Rich

Chris
07-01-07, 10:27 PM
yes, gravel will require 'lighter' springs, but once the lighter springs are fitted and it hits a few pot holes the struts will feel sick and vomit oil everywhere.

Chris

Voodoo
07-01-07, 10:31 PM
I've finally got a reply from GAZ:

"You have bought a set of lowered road coilover units. These are not suitable
for gravel rally but may prove OK on tarmac with a 275 or 250 x 10" x 2 1/4"
id coil spring."

The part of not suitable for gravel was a real blow... I thought a coilover was a coilover... period!

Any ideas for a gravel setup?

Cheers!

Alex Nova
07-01-07, 11:06 PM
I use a 12" 220lb spring for tarmac and 12" 170lb for gravel.

the problem you'll have is the lack of travel in them I suspect.

measure the travel in them i suspect you'll only have 120mm of travel.

A competition insert has about 160mm

hope this helps.

Stuart
08-01-07, 08:10 AM
I thought a coilover was a coilover... period!

thats kinda like saying "a car is a car isnt it...."

as said you need competition dampers in order to get more travel and better seals etc.

tom reid
08-01-07, 09:41 PM
Voodoo

As one of the guys said, you need different damper/spring rates for gravel and tarmac, however, if you can afford it you should try various spring rates front and rear for each discipline.
As an example, on a 1600 Corsa, we ran 800lb springs on the rear and 390lb springs on the front, car was used on smooth tarmac rallying.
The more you know about the road conditions you are racing on the better you can tailor your setup.
Dont forget that dry/wet conditions will also require different springs/damper rates.

I would get adjustable dampers if you can afford them, then play with your spring rates.

hth

Voodoo
10-01-07, 02:49 AM
I phrased my question wrongly, but yes, I know we'll need different spring for tarmac and gravel, that's what I was asking.
Stuart, I said "a coilover is a coilover" because I thought that GAZ coilovers "are" competition spec, that's why we bought them. As both the damping and the spring are adjustable, I was hoping the same damper would suit all surfaces... they look heavy duty enough!!
Alex Nova, you're spot on, 120mm travel!
Well, thanks for all the replies, I think we'll keep these coilovers for tarmac and think of something else for gravel.

Cheers! :thumb: