PDA

View Full Version : Number plate help

Nova_Tek
02-01-07, 05:22 PM
Was just out fitting my new plates. The rear ones are on. I used number plate sticky pads and they have worked a treat.

The front plates however are a bit trickier. The ones I am replacing on the front were originally screwed into the bumper indicated by the yellow arrows.

The new plates I have are a few mm's shorter then the current ones. The problem is that the current plate has cracked on the corners where it is screwed in. Plus the bumper is pointed in the centre so the plate bends hence the cracking. The new plate is smaller so the screw holes will be nearer the edge so im sure they will eventually crack.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4637/02012007212ft5.jpg

The bumper has, what looks like the factory plate holes more to the middle of the bumper indicated by the red arrows. Thing is there is nothing behind these holes that a screw will go into. No screws I have at home are big enough for these holes and I dont wanna use some big FAT screw.

Are there ment to be screw clips in these holes?

I was thinking to screw the plate somehow into the centre holes and then using sticky plate pads that are bit thicker stick the sides to the bumper so it moulds around the bumper like the current plates do rather then flap about.

Any other ideas are welcome :thumb:

draper
02-01-07, 05:23 PM
the red arrows are infact OE numberplate mounting holes - how big were the original number plates tho ?

Nova_Tek
02-01-07, 05:35 PM
TBH mate I dunno what the original plate sizes are as the ones I am replacing look like replacements anyway.

The current plates are screwed into where the yellow arrows are. Just that I dont wanna screw these new ones into the same place for it to break they way the current ones have.

Both new and old plates are big enough to screw into the OE srew holes.

Hope this makes sense :thumb:

Asa-James
02-01-07, 06:19 PM
"normal" sized plates fit on the oe holes (red arrows) perfectly, and there is meant to be a screw clip behind them. but just to annoy you, theyre big bugger screws anyways!oh and i'm borrowing your piccie(thats the front lower skirt i'm after, know where i can get one?)

Nova_Tek
02-01-07, 06:38 PM
If you search my posts your should see a better pic of the same bumper in daylight.

When you say big screws how big are we talking? Will vaux still services these parts? Need to get this plate fitted asap as my current on is just holding on by the skin of the plate backing.

PS. Just a thought, would raw plugs do the trick?

dannyb
02-01-07, 06:42 PM
I just drilled the plates before I mounted them with a hand drill (nice and gentle, no cracking of the plastic), screwed one side into the red arrowed holes, heated it with a hair dryer and slowly screwed the other side in. The plate should bend in without being damaged. Use washers on the number plate to keep the pressure spread too. I used an old front number plate off my nova (but it could be anybodys Novas plate) to mark where to drill.

Nova_Tek
02-01-07, 07:16 PM
I just drilled the plates before I mounted them with a hand drill (nice and gentle, no cracking of the plastic), screwed one side into the red arrowed holes, heated it with a hair dryer and slowly screwed the other side in. The plate should bend in without being damaged. Use washers on the number plate to keep the pressure spread too. I used an old front number plate off my nova (but it could be anybodys Novas plate) to mark where to drill.

Will probably go for the same approach mate as you've mentioned. I will prob find some raw plug and stick em into the OE plate holes then screw into them.

Currently cuting out a paper template to get a guide for the holes in the bumper so I do things correct the first time.

:thumb:

draper
02-01-07, 10:48 PM
the screws are standard number plate holding screws, your local motor factors should stock them

Jack
02-01-07, 11:46 PM
Import plates would look cool on the pre-facelift SR bumper :D

Nova_Tek
03-01-07, 12:22 AM
Yeh probably would but for now Halfords stuff will do lol