PDA

View Full Version : C14SE Head/SR Carb,What Cam???

welsh_roadrally
02-01-07, 05:52 AM
I've got a C14SE Corsa SRi engine for my SR but i want to leave the carb set up on it,If i use the C14 NV cam box so as to retain the cam driven fuel pump what cam should i use?,i was thinking a 1.6SV cam?,my thinking being that the duration may be increased,am i right or am i talking out of my a*se again?...
Or would i be better using the engine complete and using an electric pump?...
Cheers:thumb:

Stuart
02-01-07, 08:35 AM
single or DCOE carb(s)?

Id go with a kent AST2 (or have you got to stick to "std" cams?)

Id be inclined to fit an electric pump + regulator anyway as the mecanical pumps while "ok" arent the best for long term hard abuse.

welsh_roadrally
02-01-07, 01:36 PM
Single carb as you cant use twin carbs for road rallying.
Think i'm swaying towards fitting the engine as it is and using an electric pump...

One other thing does anyone make a manifold for a single Webber DCOE on a Nova?,either that or i'm thinking maybe 32/34 DMTL or 38 DGAS jetted to suit

Adam
02-01-07, 02:30 PM
Theres no single carb inlet that fits a c14se head.

Does the inlet/head etc have to be left standard?

Theres no manifold for a single dcoe.

If inlet etc has to be std i would go with:-
-14se bottom end
-1.3sr head and inlet with weber 32/34 dtml carb.
-Sr cam box(for fuel pump) injection cam box if switching to electric pump
-1.4SR cam(better duration and lift than any other 8v std gm cam

welsh_roadrally
02-01-07, 02:48 PM
Can have any Head/Manifold,can only have a single carb or throttle body though...

The engine i built for it before having the flywheel/gearbox problems consisted of:
C14NZ Block
13SB Head
14NV Cam
Would i be better off trying this out before i go building another engine then:confused:

Adam
02-01-07, 02:57 PM
Thats what i would use /\

Or, you could get a 1.3 inlet modified to fit a round port c14se head.
Just needs the bottom of the runners modifying into a round shape where they meet the head.

As the SE head will give an instant power gain over a sr head.

welsh_roadrally
02-01-07, 03:07 PM
Is the 14NV(SR) cam a better profile than the 14SE(SRi)one?
I think i'm getting somewhere now,all i need is an improvement in the weather and i'll get the box in:)

Stuart
02-01-07, 03:14 PM
have you ever seen a DGAS in the flesh? no chance its going to fit without a bonnet bulge lol.

would you only be alowed to use one butterfly of the DCOE (and block off the other one like minis used to run)? garyc has made some excellent manifolds for this use on his grasstrack racer.

Adam
02-01-07, 05:25 PM
14nv cam is better than 14se(sri)

Just try to find a low mileage 1.4sr cam, no point fitting a 150k worn cam.

garyc
02-01-07, 07:16 PM
If your keeping the 1.3 SR head I`d try a 1300 MK1 astra inlet manifold and a weber IDF (downdraught 40). You will be able to fit that in under the bonnet, and you'd get your single 40! That said the inlets and carbs are both a bit pricey.

welsh_roadrally
03-01-07, 03:02 AM
have you ever seen a DGAS in the flesh? no chance its going to fit without a bonnet bulge lol.

would you only be alowed to use one butterfly of the DCOE (and block off the other one like minis used to run)? garyc has made some excellent manifolds for this use on his grasstrack racer.

I know someone with a DGAS on a 16SV in an early Nova RoadRally car,that has got a standard bonnet,must be a custom manifold i take it and not just an adaptor plate.
Can run twin chokes just not twin carbs.

welsh_roadrally
03-01-07, 03:06 AM
14nv cam is better than 14se(sri)

Just try to find a low mileage 1.4sr cam, no point fitting a 150k worn cam.

The Car is a 102k(i think if i remember?)J reg 1.4 SR
the cam was quiet in the original engine,just rattled the bottom end big timelol

_JH_
03-01-07, 10:39 AM
Can you run aftermarket management? If so, I'd be tempted to use the original manifold and a larger throttle body, make what modifications you can, then get it mapped to suit.

If not, just running the standard injection set up would be a good start. :)

LUV2XLR8
03-01-07, 12:31 PM
you can run split 40's, but thats ruening a decent set of 40's and costing loads!
im in the same muddle, ive got a sri head and want to run carbs, i was thinking of asking a local engernieringcompany to modify an inlet for me.
but i supose it would be cheaper and easyer to fit an mpi system from a gte etc

Adam
03-01-07, 01:34 PM
im in the same muddle, ive got a sri head and want to run carbs, i was thinking of asking a local engernieringcompany to modify an inlet for me.
but i supose it would be cheaper and easyer to fit an mpi system from a gte etc
You want to run carbS? or a carb?

welsh_roadrally
03-01-07, 02:26 PM
Can you run aftermarket management? If so, I'd be tempted to use the original manifold and a larger throttle body, make what modifications you can, then get it mapped to suit.

If not, just running the standard injection set up would be a good start. :)

Havn't got the injection loom,ECU,tank,half of the sensors are missing...
Means finding more parts and more work:roll:

I've decided:-

C14SE Block
C14SE Head
14NV Cam+Cam Box
14NV Inlet Manifold (modified to round ports)
32/34 DTML Webber
Electic Fuel Pump+Regulator

It's only a RoadRally car not a full blown Stage Rally car so there's no point in throwing more money at it,it owes me ?1500+ now:wtf: ,for ?3500 i know were there's an RAC Logbooked GSi on MBE management with a Group A Engine,5 Speed Dog Box,Tran-X LSD,Bilsteins,All Harry Hockley Bits,Triangulated Cage,ETC ETC ETC so i cant see the point in spending much more on mine,i'd be better off selling mine and buying this^

Mine should be near enough for what i want it for though;) lol

Adam
03-01-07, 02:50 PM
Swap that 14nv inlet for a 1.3SR(13sb) one, its much better and quit easy to mod the ports.

Also, when you get the 32/34 carb adaptor plate, hack out the middle of it to make a large oval instead of two holes.
Do the same to the top of the inlet manifold.

LUV2XLR8
03-01-07, 02:55 PM
long live the nova ^^^, id like to run a carb on it but nothing will fit apart from split 40's, and i cant afford them lol

welsh_roadrally
03-01-07, 03:05 PM
I'm going to be happy with whatever power i get with what bits i've got and make up for the power i havn't gained with lots of late braking and some big balls commitment on the white's(rough sections on the rally)lol :thumb:

Adam
03-01-07, 03:06 PM
You can mod a 1.3 inlet to fit a 1.4MPI head.
I have quite a few times, and had no problems.

Adam
03-01-07, 03:08 PM
I'm going to be happy with whatever power i get with what bits i've got and make up for the power i havn't gained with lots of late braking and some big balls commitment on the white's(rough sections on the rally)lol :thumb:
My engine is identical spec to yours, apart from SPI throttle body in place of the weber 32/34.
And i got about 85bhp on a rolling road.

You should get that easily, might see 90/95 depending on how high you dare rev it:p:thumb:

welsh_roadrally
03-01-07, 03:08 PM
You can mod a 1.3 inlet to fit a 1.4MPI head.
I have quite a few times, and had no problems.

Found one and it was free:D ,out with the dremmel this weekend :thumb:

welsh_roadrally
03-01-07, 03:10 PM
My engine is identical spec to yours, apart from SPI throttle body in place of the weber 32/34.
And i got about 85bhp on a rolling road.

You should get that easily, might see 90/95 depending on how high you dare rev it:p:thumb:

I'm used to the VTEC in my VTi Civic so it'll have to revlol lol lol

LUV2XLR8
03-01-07, 05:25 PM
sweet carbs it is, 1.3 inlet peter lloyd rally spares it is lol!
welsh road rally, are you out on the preseli hills next month? i want to enter but no job at the mo lol

_JH_
04-01-07, 12:36 AM
are you out on the preseli hills next month?

when is that?

welsh_roadrally
04-01-07, 03:26 AM
sweet carbs it is, 1.3 inlet peter lloyd rally spares it is lol!
welsh road rally, are you out on the preseli hills next month? i want to enter but no job at the mo lol

Havn't got any planned until march mate,got family in llanelli so i might have to come down and do a few south wales events:thumb: ,should upgrade to a national B stage licence and do pembrey really.
Going to get the engine and box in asap then off to John Yeoman engines for a proper set up on the rolling road:)

LUV2XLR8
07-01-07, 12:37 PM
i think the preseli hills are febuary, should be on the british rally forum. the way things are going at the moment, i dont know if i'll have a car by then :S
i wouldnt mind doing a few pembrey events, it was well floaded there on the 30th, pretty miserable. Epynt would be a grin too :D
Il keep my eye out for a 1.3 inlet now ;) thanks