PDA

View Full Version : stage 2 head

CLEMMY1
01-01-07, 11:21 PM
about to buy my first nova the head has gone been told to get a stage 2 only have no idea what they are lol. its for a 1.4sr k reg. any info e.g how much? why? where from? etc
thnx jayson

kronk10
02-01-07, 12:00 AM
about to buy my first nova the head has gone been told to get a stage 2 only have no idea what they are lol. its for a 1.4sr k reg. any info e.g how much? why? where from? etc
thnx jayson
It sounds like a bilydstein head they are top notch and expensive heads but are better off doing along with other tuning goodies. Why dont you try a 1.4 mpi head they have better ports etc or try a 1.3 sr head. Th 1.4 sr's head has nasty catherdral ports but the others have rounder ports (i think dont qoute me). Dont know if i was much use if you wanna tune the 1.4 try them heads or even a 1.6 gte head ported and polished thats what i have got and it performs really well for me.

CLEMMY1
02-01-07, 12:12 AM
ok mate thnx for the help. its got uprated flywheel and 4 branch manifold and other stuff. anyone know anything else let me know

kronk10
02-01-07, 12:17 AM
ok mate thnx for the help. its got uprated flywheel and 4 branch manifold and other stuff. anyone know anything else let me know

Good should deffo fit a billy head or something similiar i think stage 2 means ported and polished and stage one is just polished. But iam a newbie to this tuning thing so dont know much. I only had my 1.4 tuned in october so just getting used to the car at the mo. You can make a good bit of power from the 1.4 8v iam running at about 113 bhp at the mo and there is probally a bit more i could do to make it go a bit better. Keep up the work and post some pics and spec of your car:thumb:

Adam
02-01-07, 12:25 AM
SRi/Gte/Gsi head is best, large round ports, and big valves.

1.4Sr square ports=ghey

1.3SR/1.2-Catherdral ports, quite a good head.

But you will only be able use either a 1.4sr or 1.3/1.2 head as those are the only heads a single carb inlet fits.

Is the engine standard? Std Carb etc?
I've got a std 1.4sr head lying about.

kronk10
02-01-07, 12:27 AM
SRi/Gte/Gsi head is best, large round ports, and big valves.

1.4Sr square ports=ghey

1.3SR/1.2-Catherdral ports, quite a good head.

I dont see why you've been told get a "stage2" head tbh, is the engine standard? Carb etc?
I've got a std 1.4sr head lying about.
Thats it a 1.4 sr sqaure portslol not catherdral i was waiting for someone like long live the nova to give a helping hand:thumb:

CLEMMY1
02-01-07, 12:29 AM
the engine was port and polished, head skimmed, but webber carb wasnt fitted. but the head went then the engine overheated. im due to pick the car up at the weekend jus trying to find out how to get it ready to drive a.s.a.p thnx

Stuart
02-01-07, 08:07 AM
to be fair you need to measure the valves to work out if anything "proper" has been done to the head.... any one can port a head and say "ohh thats a stage 2"

atleast with a bill B pack you have a very good idea where you are etc.

What do you want from the engine? ie do you just want a nippish engine until you fit a 2.0 or do you want to tune the 1400 with a semi serious mindset?

kronk10
02-01-07, 09:58 AM
Thats exactly the prob i had i had to make my mind up on do i want to seriously yune the small nlock or have it mildly tuned untill a 2.0. I love my 1.4 it really is quick but it all depends on what you want from the engine. Are those billy b heads good then i have a ported polished gte head would a billy head give me more power???? soz for the thread jack:tard:

CLEMMY1
02-01-07, 10:54 AM
well atm jus the quickest way of gettin it able to drive. how much are those billy heads? and where can i get 1 from?

kronk10
02-01-07, 11:13 AM
well atm jus the quickest way of gettin it able to drive. how much are those billy heads? and where can i get 1 from?

You could do a google or yahoo search i dont think many people have got them though there hard to get hold of and really expensive. If you wanna get the car on the road really quick a 1.3 sr head or a 1.4 head anything will be quicker than a betting a billy b head:thumb:

Stuart
02-01-07, 11:37 AM
you can get them from bill i think... failing that contact ivor searle who are contracted to do the head work now.

Its about ?500ish for the B pack iirc.
or keep an eye on ebay.

Ash
02-01-07, 12:27 PM
there was a big valve 1.4 SRi head just gone on ebay that i was watching and missed, ?62! not a billy one tho.

Ash

LUV2XLR8
02-01-07, 12:36 PM
with the sri head would you be able to fit the standard 1.4sr inlet?

Stuart
02-01-07, 12:50 PM
no

Adam
02-01-07, 02:44 PM
Have to watch ebay, a lot of sellers compare SRi heads to a normal 1.4sr etc heads, see the valves are much larger and automatically think its had larger valves fitted, but its standard.

Quickest way to get the engine up and running is a straight std replacement head, plenty about.
If you fit a 1300 head you'll need a 1300 inlet too.