PDA

View Full Version : Pic request TD and 1.0 Engine bays

Nobby
01-01-07, 01:33 PM
I am going the opposite way soon hopefully and going to put a TD engine in my Nova as i want abit of power but i do ****e loadz of miles and need a econmical car. I know i have to change 1 engine mount but which was is it?? mines just a std 1.0 lol any pics will help cheers!!:thumb:

Ste L
01-01-07, 02:12 PM
bodyshells are the same on all petrol engines...

to put a td in any petrol nova, you need to cut the metal braket off the shell and move it , not sure to where, think its a bit further back than where it is

Kinky Monza
01-01-07, 04:17 PM
If you can hang on til tomorrow i'll get a pic of a 1.0 engine bay for you!

craig green
02-01-07, 04:08 PM
It'll be the drivers side mount. It comes out through the middle of the cambelt loop.

Cant complain with my TDs performance. Its got plenty of punch for motorway cruising & for anyone used to a 1200 8v. Its on another planet. Great overtaking machines for B roads.

chimp007_uk
02-01-07, 04:13 PM
whats the td's like in comparison to a gte?

i had a 306 dturbo which was quick but no way as quick as the gte. whats the td compared to? 1.4?

craig green
02-01-07, 04:56 PM
Couldnt give a direct comparison, however I did annhialate some wakner in an XR2i up a steep dual carriageway drag race.

As with most (all) diesels, it doesnt rev high like a 1400 Sr would but when it comes on boost (3k) the torque is phenomenal (for such an old car/engine size) & if you are ready & experienced with the power delivery it can be exploited & driven quick.

Bearing in mind how tunable the ISUZU lump can be, its pretty impressive I reckon.

Adam
02-01-07, 05:19 PM
I think there about the same power as a 1.4SR.
As said a lot more torque, but engines finished at 4/5k rpm.

I've never driven a TD, and wouldn't bother to fit a TD into a nova, might aswell just go 1.6 8v, good fuel consumption if driven sensible, a lot more parts available, and a lot easier conversion.

Also depends which TD you mean, the nova one, or 1.7 cav one, the cav one is quite a hard conversion even into an original nova td.
Even the nova td engine into a petrol shell would need different rad, different header tank, coolant pipes, fuel tank, lines, wiring, diesel tacho clocks etc

craig green
02-01-07, 05:24 PM
/\/\/\ True.

It handles like a big block too, pushes wide on turn in or lifting off mid bend.

Cant begin to explain what an eye opener it is after commuting in a 1.2 SPi for over a year.

Adam
02-01-07, 05:31 PM
The only benefit i see in diesels tbh is mpg.

But im slightly biased, i just dont like diesels,Lol.

Might change my mind tho after i have a quick go in a mildly fiddled td nova.

chimp007_uk
02-01-07, 05:39 PM
cheers guys... im so lost. i know what td's are like, my pug was rapid as it came on boost, was running 110bhp and good mpg :)

but i think i'd just get annoyed again with the small power band. i sold my pug to my dad... he's the envy of his friends in his performance pug lol nothing like a smoking td tho :)

Mark330d
03-01-07, 02:25 AM
Dont go for the 1.5td, go for the 1.7td out of a Cavalier instead. Then you can put the Isuzu Trooper 3.1 Turbo on it an whap the boost up.

_JH_
03-01-07, 10:31 AM
I've never driven a TD, and wouldn't bother to fit a TD into a nova, might aswell just go 1.6 8v, good fuel consumption if driven sensible

The 1.5TD when driven hard, achieves about twice the MPG that a GSi or GTE achieves when driven sensible. I loved my TD Nova getting to work and back, cost feck all compared to the GSi I used before it.

As craig green says, when you get the hang of the power delivery they can perform well - I'd say go for it :thumb:

Simplest way is to get a scrap TD as a donor, I'm sure you'll be able to find a rusty nova diesel somewhere... lol

Mark330d
03-01-07, 11:36 AM
The 1.5TD when driven hard, achieves about twice the MPG that a GSi or GTE achieves when driven sensible. I loved my TD Nova getting to work and back, cost feck all compared to the GSi I used before it.

As craig green says, when you get the hang of the power delivery they can perform well - I'd say go for it :thumb:

Simplest way is to get a scrap TD as a donor, I'm sure you'll be able to find a rusty nova diesel somewhere... lol

the scrap man is coming for my rusty nova diesel today i think. Neighbours will be delighted.lol

Nobby
03-01-07, 05:44 PM

i have got 1 mate ?120 rotten as fcuk!!:thumb: lol

Lee
03-01-07, 05:57 PM
Dont go for the 1.5td, go for the 1.7td out of a Cavalier instead. Then you can put the Isuzu Trooper 3.1 Turbo on it an whap the boost up.

Rekon it would do 1mpg on that setup lol. And probably last about 1 minute!

burgo
07-01-07, 04:41 PM
i love TD threads as they are so full of such bollocks

do go for a 1.7 but you will need a complete 1.5 from a nova as you need top swop over everything o the pullies side onto the 1.7 block, plus you need to cut and re-weld the aluminium water take off so that it clears the alternator. plus the isuzu 3.1 turbo isn't a straight swop and even if it were it is pointless as the engines can only handle about 25psi before you start blowing the head to bits and the stardard turbo produces that fine (i run 22psi) plus of course the smaller turbo spools up quicker.

but i think i'd just get annoyed again with the small power band. i sold my pug to my dad... he's the envy of his friends in his performance pug lol nothing like a smoking td tho :)
you say it has a small power band but mine comes on boost at 2000 and holds it till 5000 and then when you change gear again it drops it straight back in on boost. they are quick cars when you know how

/\/\/\ True.

It handles like a big block too, pushes wide on turn in or lifting off mid bend.

Cant begin to explain what an eye opener it is after commuting in a 1.2 SPi for over a year.
i have never been able to make mine understeer unless of course i do it on purpose by spining the wheels. if you drive it properly it will handle like any other nova and by the way you never let off mid bend unless you fancy going for a spin

to put a td in any petrol nova, you need to cut the metal braket off the shell and move it , not sure to where, think its a bit further back than where it is
im afraid its a tad more complicated than that, the engine mount is set inside the chassis leg and so therefore you would have to cut that part of the chassis leg off a TD and weld it in place on yours. plus as already said you need new tank, lines, rad, fan, loom, fuel filter bracket.....theres ****e loads basically. anywho that will do for a start

General Baxter
07-01-07, 05:03 PM
we (me and luke) were going to attempt this on my 1.2 but it was just TO MUCH HASSEL, so i said **** it lol

Adam
07-01-07, 05:07 PM
i love TD threads as they are so full of such bollocks

do go for a 1.7 but you will need a complete 1.5 from a nova as you need top swop over everything o the pullies side onto the 1.7 block, plus you need to cut and re-weld the aluminium water take off so that it clears the alternator. plus the isuzu 3.1 turbo isn't a straight swop and even if it were it is pointless as the engines can only handle about 25psi before you start blowing the head to bits and the stardard turbo produces that fine (i run 22psi) plus of course the smaller turbo spools up quicker.

you say it has a small power band but mine comes on boost at 2000 and holds it till 5000 and then when you change gear again it drops it straight back in on boost. they are quick cars when you know how

i have never been able to make mine understeer unless of course i do it on purpose by spining the wheels. if you drive it properly it will handle like any other nova and by the way you never let off mid bend unless you fancy going for a spin

im afraid its a tad more complicated than that, the engine mount is set inside the chassis leg and so therefore you would have to cut that part of the chassis leg off a TD and weld it in place on yours. plus as already said you need new tank, lines, rad, fan, loom, fuel filter bracket.....theres ****e loads basically. anywho that will do for a start
That man speaks the truth, i did say it was difficult to fit lol

Nobby
07-01-07, 05:31 PM
cheers lads but i changed my mind ages ago lol seems to much hassle!!

craig green
07-01-07, 07:48 PM

Mine is bogg std in the handling dept, so I reserve the right to argue.

One of the finest traits of a Nova is that you can lift off mid bend & not spin, Ive taken my Nova out of 4th gear @ nearly 100mph mid bend plenty of times & never come unstuck. Good reason for not driving French.