PDA

View Full Version : changing cambelt on gte???

GTE TURBZ
29-12-06, 10:26 PM
is it straight forward???

well im abit stuff :roll: ive taken the airbox out taken the cam cover off and the pulley at the bottom which turns the alternator/fan belt,someone told me the water pump needs to come out too??

if someone can take the time out and explain (step by step) what i need to do after the above....., as the haynes mainly refers to everything other than the i.6 engines.

Taa.

Adam
30-12-06, 03:55 PM
1.6 engine is covered in the Updated section at the back of the Haynes.

Does your engine have a cambelt tensioner?
Or does just the waterpump tension the belt?

Novasport
30-12-06, 05:54 PM
Should be tensioned off the water pump, best to have a new waterpump and seal fitted as they always leak when disturbed. You could always do the old trick of cutting the original cambelt all the way round down the middle to remove the outer half then fit new belt on as far as you can, cut remainder of old belt & push new one fully on to pulleys.

SRlew
30-12-06, 06:22 PM
nova.sport....never heard of doing that, i take it its done so one pulley or somthing wont move, so that there all kept in line etc??

i need a new water pump you see and want a new belt fitting while im doing it, but i aint gota clue what the best way to tackle it is, im obviously not going to be able to do it that way but is there a nice easy way like that that i can try lol (sorry dont want to hijack)

cheers lew

Adam
30-12-06, 06:48 PM
It is possible(just) to just remove the cam sprocket(with the cambelt)
Then fit the new belt onto the sprockets, and re-fit the cam sprocket with the belt on it.

Altho the tension may not be 100% right.

welsh_roadrally
31-12-06, 05:25 AM
Should be tensioned off the water pump, best to have a new waterpump and seal fitted as they always leak when disturbed. You could always do the old trick of cutting the original cambelt all the way round down the middle to remove the outer half then fit new belt on as far as you can, cut remainder of old belt & push new one fully on to pulleys.

:eek: Shocking!lol do it properly as to be honest i cant think of an easier cam belt to change than an 8v vauxhall 30-60 mins is all it takes me,should be covered in the haynes manual

Novasport
31-12-06, 01:58 PM
I didnt say I would do it! When I do something I do it properly. I would fit a new water pump, replace coolant & rollers/tensioner where required if I was changing a belt. Just giving the lad a choice, if you are on a budget & you cant afford to disturb the water pump its ideal.

GTE TURBZ
02-01-07, 11:02 PM
Thanks silly me i didnt check properly, yes the haynes does have it towards the end of the manual.:)