PDA

View Full Version : fast road cams..

Novadex
28-12-06, 10:57 PM
do they make alot of difference in performance? An how much would you expect to pay? and where from? thanx :thumb:

SuperNova!
28-12-06, 11:02 PM
If your after a quick answer mate give it a search been covered millions of times.

:)

Stuart
29-12-06, 08:47 AM
in which engine?

Novadex
29-12-06, 02:40 PM
1.6GSI stu...
Ill search too SN,
thanx

Stuart
29-12-06, 02:46 PM
if your keeping your std inlet and management then you should go for a kent NVO series or an injection spec cam form catcams/piper.

nothing toooo lairy otherwise the ECU will throw a mega wobbly and not play games lol

Rich
29-12-06, 02:58 PM
Ive put a fast road kent cam in my c14se and it runs like poo, it cuts out and drives terrible in traffic and low revs. If i get stuck behind a granny doing 25 i have to sit 2nd gear or i hit my head on the windscreen from it jerking about.

However if i stay foot down over 4k revs its great, makes a good difference :thumb:

Adam
29-12-06, 03:44 PM
What cam is it? /\

That reminds me, i should get round to fitting my kent cam sometime,Lol.

rc
29-12-06, 03:50 PM
i put a cam in my gsi, Kent Cam NVO61 i think! or maybe NVO62! it made a big differance, coupled it with a k&n, 4branch, and lightened crank and flywheel, and it revved its tits off!

i had the same cam in my standard 1.4 carb engine before i got the gsi and made a hell off a differance on that aswell!

i payed 50quid for the cam and vernier pully off a mate!

and i neva had any running problems? made it bit lumpy on tickover but apart from that it was fine!

Novadex
29-12-06, 04:38 PM
well the kent cams sound like what ill go for, anyone no the best place to look?

Dan
29-12-06, 04:52 PM
Nvo 62 cam (270 degree) i once used when on standard injection, was a decent enough cam when matched with a decent head/4-1 manifold etc etc.

Richie, that description is either down to a ridiculous cam that the engine setup couldnt cope with, or it was dialled in/setup so bad it was crap to drive lol lol lol . I've had many different variations and set ups and never ever had anything that bad lol

Adam
29-12-06, 04:55 PM
Novadex-Keep an eye on here/ebay etc.

You could also look at the CatCams range.

I got a AST2 off here a while back.
Yet to fit it to my 1400 yet tho, Lol.

Rich
29-12-06, 07:32 PM
Dan, its only the mild cam (NVO62) ive got. Im taking it out tomorrow because its just bad to drive. All the timing is fine, it misfires and hardly moves from cold in the morning, had tech 1 on it (i work for vauxhall) doesnt show anything. What do you mean dialled in? I was told its just a straight swap pretty much as its only a mild cam. Anything you recommend trying?

Sorry, just realised its not my thread and im going off topic

Adam
29-12-06, 08:26 PM
Seems V. strange that, if anything i'd imagine a Sri engine coping with a cam much better than a e16se due to it having a Map sensor and no air flow meter for the cam overlap to mess up.

You sure its a NVO62?
That should run and idle fine as its for an injection engine.

I know you said the timing is fine, but i would definently re-check it.

By Dialed-in he means set the cam timing up with a Vernier pully.

Lucky Luke!
29-12-06, 08:46 PM
Can anyone recommend a cam for a 16sv engine standard apart form air filter.