PDA

View Full Version : Removal of steering column

Iain
28-12-06, 11:10 AM
I have been following Haynes to do this, but have been struggling to remove the shear bolt (what's the point in those anyway? :roll:). Yesterday in the scrap yard I found a Nova with its column removed but with the two upper mountings (bolt on right and shear bolt on left) untouched!

I understand you can slide the column down and remove it from this mounting without removing the bolts. However I believe the column must first be removed from the "flexible coupling flange"? If so, how do I go about disconnecting that? :)

Thanks.

R1CH
28-12-06, 11:35 AM
The flexi joint is just held on with 2 M8 bolts (13mm socket) just remove them then tap it away (i think) from the column and it'll come off the end and stay on the rack.
I've managed to get the security bolt off before with some molegrips, so maybe have a go with them ? Just replace with a high tensile M8 bolt when you put it back on.

Rich

Iain
28-12-06, 12:04 PM
Ah ha, didn't realise you could tap it down. That's off! :) Just got to remove it from the upper mounting where it seems to be glued on with some yellow gloop lol

Edit: Yeah I've tried molegrips and various other methods of removing the shear bolt, given up lol

aswrally
28-12-06, 12:16 PM
you remove the shear bolt using a center punch and a hammer and tap it round to unscrew it

Iain
28-12-06, 12:33 PM
I tried using a hammer and chisel in order to turn it with no success.

craig green
28-12-06, 01:04 PM
I just undid mine !!

Tip for removing the UJ. Take the bolts out, the threads sit in a recess & it still wont come away unless the bolts are out.

Iain
28-12-06, 05:44 PM
Tip for removing the UJ.

UJ means..? lol

Adam
28-12-06, 06:28 PM
Universal joint

dan23
28-12-06, 08:37 PM
if you have a welder weld a nut to the shear bolt

loggyboy
28-12-06, 09:11 PM
Its quite easy to remove the captive nut, just a small angle grind then undo with Mole grips or an adjustable spanner.

http://www.loggyboy.com/images/MeritMk2/CorsaBrake/SteeringCaptiveNut.jpg

Iain
29-12-06, 12:41 PM
Assuming that's without the dashboard on, Loggyboy? :) There's not much room for any tools up there with it on (and mine is)

Edit: Dilemma over, the columns out and shear bolt off. Three cheers for mole grips