PDA

View Full Version : rust on 'A pillar'

conad
27-12-06, 11:34 PM
iv found rust at the bottom of the A-pillar (on the outside) how big of a job is it... any ideas?

novanutted
27-12-06, 11:44 PM
easy

conad
28-12-06, 11:59 AM
easy

is it just a case of good old mr.filler?

R1CH
28-12-06, 12:32 PM
is it just a case of good old mr.filler?

Erm ... not really, you'll have to grind it down so all the rust / loose metal is gone then treat it with something like Hammerite Kurust, if its a big hole then you might need to plate the hole up, or if its small-ish then you might get away with some fibre glass / filler, then you'll have to prime & paint it.

How bad is the rust ? any pics ?

Rich

conad
28-12-06, 12:52 PM
Erm ... not really, you'll have to grind it down so all the rust / loose metal is gone then treat it with something like Hammerite Kurust, if its a big hole then you might need to plate the hole up, or if its small-ish then you might get away with some fibre glass / filler, then you'll have to prime & paint it.

How bad is the rust ? any pics ?

Rich

well i wouldnt be doing the job myself anyway, i was jus wondering what the complications involved were! its just surface rust about the size of a 1p coin! i cant put pics up now, bust camera!

Novadex
28-12-06, 01:06 PM
remember, thats pretty much all the suport for the top half of the car, so make sure its sorted properly or youll need a new shell alltogether...

conad
28-12-06, 01:38 PM
remember, thats pretty much all the suport for the top half of the car, so make sure its sorted properly or youll need a new shell alltogether...

I know, thats what i was thinking, thats why i asked bout the complications.... its not bad though

craig green
28-12-06, 01:53 PM
its not bad though

So you start a thread conversation about it...

Seriously though get it sorted & sealed so it wont spread. Could render a shell funked if it got too bad. :thumb:

conad
28-12-06, 02:08 PM
So you start a thread conversation about it...

Seriously though get it sorted & sealed so it wont spread. Could render a shell funked if it got too bad. :thumb:

well its the only bit of rust i can find, i was curious so i asked about it.... whats the problem.

dont worry though, all will be well soon enough

Nobby
28-12-06, 02:58 PM
it isnt an mot failure:thumb:

welsh_roadrally
29-12-06, 06:41 AM
I've seen 'slightly rusty' A pillars split when a car has been bumped on the front,Fords are especially good at this,a mate had a MK2 fiesta years ago and put it in a ditch resulting in the A pillar breaking away from the bulkhead:eek:
Drive along with the window down and put your fingers between the top of the door and the roof while driving on a twisty road if you want to know how much the shell flexes,if the car was mine i'd take the screen out and plate it for piece of mind:thumb:

conad
29-12-06, 11:13 AM
I've seen 'slightly rusty' A pillars split when a car has been bumped on the front,Fords are especially good at this,a mate had a MK2 fiesta years ago and put it in a ditch resulting in the A pillar breaking away from the bulkhead:eek:
Drive along with the window down and put your fingers between the top of the door and the roof while driving on a twisty road if you want to know how much the shell flexes,if the car was mine i'd take the screen out and plate it for piece of mind:thumb:

thanks very much mate... looks can be deceiving i suppose