PDA

View Full Version : port n polish sir?

Anonymous
14-06-01, 07:34 PM
What benefits would I get from porting n polishing or just polishing(I dont understand this stuff) on my 1.2 mk1?-our bro can get me it done for nothing using the college equipment,but he cant see wot benefits their are,so he cant explain in dense git terms to someone like me,so if anyone could tell me,it would be much appreciated

Anonymous
14-06-01, 11:36 PM
Porting good, polishing bad. Porting in some cases increases the opening and channels in the head, and is used to ensure maximum flow and ease of flow in the head. Polishing is not recomended as the surface air speed slows and fuel drops out of suspension (read post on head n cam). This should only really be done by someone who has years of experience in performance tuning and modifying heads using tried and tested methods that have been proven on a gasflow bench. I`d leave it if I were u.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
15-06-01, 02:01 AM
Polishing is good if done on the exhaust out-lets - helps nice clean flow of gases.
This isn't good on the inlet though, as you want the flow to be turbulent to keep the fuel in suspension.

As MC says, leave it to the professionals, as they know what they are doing, and have the proper equipment for the job (gasflow bench etc).

Anonymous
15-06-01, 08:29 AM
also keeping the flow turbulent gives a slightly better burn in the combustion chamber. so as its been sed dont polish the inlet tract

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
15-06-01, 01:46 PM
A head that has been worked on will not give peak power until its done a few thousand miles and coked up properly.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
16-06-01, 07:23 PM
I think its time an article was posted on this one!:D

Anonymous
16-06-01, 07:43 PM
Ting is anyone can remove material out of the exhaust ports and then polish them up. But it is possible to actually mess up your cars performance by doing this. The only way to know is to set up a series of bench flow tests to measure improvements in air flow followed by even more tests on actual running engines on a bench dyno. Only a few people have the equipment or have spent the time to find out what actually works.
Bill Blydenstein has done this thats why he gets recommended on here. At 1 time he had 60 people working for him and developed many engines for the highest levels of competition as well as the road.

I ported my 1.6 myself enlarging the inlet and exhaust tracts by 1mm alround with barely noticeable effects. I then got a B+ pack done (larger valves etc) and I've got a shit load more power and a totally transformed car.