PDA

View Full Version : Head & cam info

Anonymous
14-06-01, 03:52 PM
Ok, got the weber on, runnin spot on(cheers micky!) but i want more power, i know head & cam is probably best way to do it, but which one?? Car is H reg(Mk2) 1400Sr with weber, K&N & full stainless scorpion system(cheers slammed gsi!)

I know there is blydydyddstein or woteva, but they is massive money, i have heard that a 13sr head works well on a 14sr bottom end, is this true, if so, i can get one, is it worth port/polish/bore? wot is best for more ooph but still retain some drivability? How much am i looking to pay if i send it away & who do u reccomend?

Now the cam, my cam is knockin fo fcuk, so wots the deal? I have head good things bout the schrick, which are 175 quid, but wot happened to the old kent or piper? Also wot about getting a GTE/GSi cam & reprofiling it? Again, prices, not interested in race/rally cams.

Cheers for any info, i will accept 2nd hand heads, but no 2nd hand cams, had a few mates who have bought them & they have been dodgy.

Cheers again boyos.

Anonymous
14-06-01, 04:06 PM
Mark i've herd that bilbababaastein (u know the 1)lol, r excellent the blokes been workin on vauxhall engines for 40 years or summit and r suposed 2 b worth the money i was gonna get 1 for my gsi but u know the story...FUCK!

>:) D.E.V.I.L. >:)

Anonymous
14-06-01, 04:17 PM
i had a ast1 kent cam and it was shit the i got a schrick and its alot better ive also got a 1.3 bydenstien b+head on a 1.4 bottom block the pull in the higher gears is alot better wiv the head and accelerations better to but i gotta get my 40's tuned cause there holdin the power back cause thy are all to shit

Anonymous
14-06-01, 04:17 PM
i had a ast1 kent cam and it was shit the i got a schrick and its alot better ive also got a 1.3 bydenstien b+head on a 1.4 bottom block the pull in the higher gears is alot better wiv the head and accelerations better to but i gotta get my 40's tuned cause there holdin the power back cause they are all to shit

Anonymous
14-06-01, 04:19 PM
So how much are these billie heads? want a 1300sr head if thats better.

Pukka, wot u recon increase u got off head & cam?

Russell, i know the storey, get savin for your new one!! B-)

Anonymous
14-06-01, 04:26 PM
The B+ head is around 458 inc vat and will give around a 25% power increase.

And ur right slammed. Bill definately knows his stuff. Better than that Courtenay company

B-) "Don't send me back to the dark place" B-)

Anonymous
14-06-01, 04:45 PM
C, thats wot i mean, it may give u 25% extra, but its 458 quid, which i aint got at the mo, any cheaper options?

Anonymous
14-06-01, 04:55 PM
PMC do a supaflow head to match with the shrick cam but don't know much about it.

Think Kent do them aswell. Have a look at powerzone's ad's in front of Rev's mag.

B-) "Don't send me back to the dark place" B-)

Anonymous
14-06-01, 06:43 PM
Your gonna find if you want decent power gains you have to pay decent money! Easiers way to gain power is to increase engine capacity, either rebore yours or get a gte bottom end!!!

Anonymous
14-06-01, 06:48 PM
If you go for an aftermarket head, to get anything worthwhile, you are gonna have to pay. I think the 1.3 head is better. Something to do with the ports being being larger. You wont notice that much difference though unless u get it ported, so we are pack to sq 1. Porting costs money. U could get an A pack head from BB, which will only cost ?291 and will have the same porting work but uses the std valve sizes. u should get about 10-12% out of a 1.4 head, and possibly 15% out of a 1.3 head. (more can be removed from the 1.3 head)

As for the cam, both the shrick and Courtenay cam have similar characteristics and cost the same, suspicious hey. They are very good for road driving coz they offer good torque low down. If u intend to go on track alot, or just get high top end horse power then your kent and piper fast road/race/rally are available, but you will notice a lack of torque low down. Piper do tailor made cams for diff situations, so have a chat with them direct rather than going through a middle man like powerzone etc. lastly, the 1.4 cam and 1.6 cam are the same, they just have bigger valves in the 1.6, so no benefit from changing between em.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
14-06-01, 06:54 PM
Hmmm, sounds good, but can u "send" a head away, not like exchange, u send them the head & they port/polish it for you?

Surley this is cheaper than goin to Billie & askin for his finest?

Its not i dont wanna get big power, its how long my engine has left in it, so if summink goes from down below, i wont be crying too much.

So wot is needed done, if i get a 1300SR head, do i take it sumwhere(any numbers?) and just ask for port & polish & gas flow? or do i need to give em dimensions, or like how much to port by?

Cheers for the info lads. ;)

Anonymous
14-06-01, 10:08 PM
if 1.4 and 1.6 cams are the same but heads have bigger valves dosnt that mean a 1.6 head will give better power than a 1.4?

or have i missed summit coz 1.6 heads have ports the same as 1.3 but bigger valves?

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
14-06-01, 11:29 PM
1.6 head doesnt just go on a 1.4 bottom end without problems with compression. Not worth playing with.

Wether u have your head modified, or do an exchange at Blydensteins, it costs the same. The xchange units are just GM heads that he has worked is magic touch on, so the same level of work goes into all of em. All tuners have their own methods of porting, and will do what they think works best, so u just leave it to em. Porting is what you are after, which is re-shaping of the ports to create an easier path for gasflow, but "polishing" is not needed. You need a slightly rough surface to get a swirling effect on the metal surface which speeds the gasflow up and prevents fuel from dropping out of suspension.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
15-06-01, 09:01 AM
Ahhhh, rite, cheers, MC, one final question, have u got a book in fornt of u? lol.

One final, serious question, got any prices for the different stages and diff cams?

Cheers for all the help boyos.

Anonymous
15-06-01, 12:39 PM
Mark D if you are looking for a modified 1.3sr with inlet manifold head and lightened flywheel and cam look on the for sale forum, Dan is selling one.

;)Never be afraid to try anything new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the Titanic !;)

Anonymous
15-06-01, 03:47 PM
Rough prices as I dont have a list to hand;

A pack - ported head ?291
B pack - As above with enlarged (1mm) inlet valves and wasted down valve stems ?385
B+ pack - As above with enlarged (2.5mm) exhaust valves ?458

The larger the valves, the more the ports can be taken out.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
15-06-01, 11:51 PM
My mistake, A pack costs more like ?326 if you have the valves lapped and numbered.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
16-06-01, 09:36 AM
i think bill uses the 1.6valves on the 1.3 head think thats wat he done to mine i got the b+ head cause when i got the head back the valves were huge

Anonymous
16-06-01, 04:25 PM
Larger valves and enlarged throats is where the real xtra power is on these heads.
Be patient and save your money and get it done right.
If you are really short of money forget about doing your head and cam cos it will cost you plus you will be sucked into more and more modding expenses.. eh MC?;)