PDA

View Full Version : Engine Overheating

Anonymous
13-06-01, 01:28 PM
The saga continues.

My engine (1.4 sr with mods)is back in the car and running now.

but i have another problem.

The engine is overheating after 10-15 mins of driving (below 2500 rpm). After ten mins of driving the temp gauge has risen to just below red. The water in the engine is steaming and the fan doesn't kick in.

I know that the fan and temp gauge are faulty. That still doesn't explain why the engine is getting that hot, that fast.

Anybody got any suggestions?

B-) "Don't send me back to the dark place" B-)

Anonymous
13-06-01, 01:42 PM
Who set up the engine? You could be running too lean, or too advanced, or even worse, both. Is your thermostat in good order? If you put your carb back on withought adjusting the mixture/jetting, my guess is that you are running lean with your new mods.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
13-06-01, 01:59 PM
Would that really cause it to run hot so quickly?

Anonymous
13-06-01, 02:15 PM
Yep, when I played around with mine, I could get my 4-branch to glow red-hot. Not recomended!

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
13-06-01, 03:03 PM
Its probably the thermostat as MC says. Change it and make sure there's no air lock in your system and that the pump is sending the water round properly first.

Anonymous
13-06-01, 03:08 PM
keep an eye on the header tank as you reach half way on the gauge, and if its working, you should see the water bubble, and then water come in from the the radiator back to the header tank.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
13-06-01, 03:43 PM
also at that temp the fan should be on and the cap should be releasing pressure

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---
--- 16v engine fitting advice ---

Anonymous
13-06-01, 03:54 PM
Ste. We know the fan is definately playing up. Gonna swap the fan switch tonight.

Main thing i was concerned about was the fact it's getting that high so quick.

Anonymous
13-06-01, 04:01 PM
Sort fan and check stat and I think all will be o.k.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
15-06-01, 01:14 PM
Ok Thanks for your help guys. Took your advice about rejetting and ignition advance MC. Took it down to powerzone and had it all checked out. The ignition timing was too far advanced. Although fuelling was spot on. Don't need carb rejetting until engine has run a while and coked up.

Checked the fan and it wasn't working so at the moment its wired up to be on permanently but the temp still won't come down.

So it's looking like it's definately the thermostat. I'll get hold of a new one at the weekend and hopefully things will be ok.

Well impressed with the engine though. Dipped the clutch at the traffic lights and it's so quiet i could've sworn i'd stalled it.