PDA

View Full Version : 2 pack paint

Ash C
26-12-06, 11:55 AM
i was just wondering if 2 pack paint is any good? someone offered to do me a full respray but they said they use 2 pack?

dave_rand
26-12-06, 11:58 AM
its alrite

LUV2XLR8
26-12-06, 12:21 PM
i think its ok, used it on my nova recently, good result even tho i did it myself :D

lee coley
26-12-06, 01:10 PM
2 pack paint is all that is used now days,any body that offers you a paint job in celly or owt else wants telling were to go,then walk away.

Solid colours can be in 2pack direct gloss or solvent base coat and 2pack laquer or water based base coat and 2 pack laquer.

metalics/pearls will be base coat and laquer either solvent base or water base base coat.

In 2007 solvent base coat will be no longer available and illegal to use and sell!

dave_rand
26-12-06, 01:39 PM
i disagree there like with the last bit

years ago celly was ment to be illegal and no1 will sell you it

i know 3 places where i could go and buy it from

i wouldnt buy it like just saying

lee coley
26-12-06, 02:11 PM
That was then this is now things have changed a huge amount in the last 10 years even in the last 5 years,things are getting very tight now,all these small body shops that are still using solvent base will be using water base in the next year,my mate opened his body shop up and hes got environment people there all the time making sure hes up to scratch with new regulations.

We use water base at work we have done for 6-7 years and at home i use solvent,once solvent is no longer available ive **** it at home because water is a **** to dry with out heat.

studaman21
26-12-06, 10:10 PM
update mate

solvent based paints are allowed to be sold till the end of 2007 but it is illegal for a company to manufacure them from january 2007

studaman21
26-12-06, 10:22 PM
and as far as i know you should not use heat to dry water based paints cos it will fook the finish. we use at work an air dryer which uses cold air to dry the paint

Ash C
27-12-06, 11:02 AM
thanks lads. i havn't a clue about paints but got alot better idea now though.

somebody offered to paint the full outside of car for 300 quid, which i thought was abit to cheap for a really good job. said i'd go down and have a look at some of his work first, but he says hes v. good.

ade
30-12-06, 11:35 AM
2 pak is good but very nasty stuff. Its resin based so when its cured its very tough.

You MUST use a fresh air respirator though coz its cyanoacrylate and a serious carsonagenic (will irritate the respitory/nervous system and can cause cancer).

Smells nice though - sort of almondy (lol only joking - cough)

I did my car in it several years ago - still very shiny - although I did the whole car in a garage without an extractor - got a local garage to buff it up. Would recommend for a big job to get a body shop to do it.

One a respray - you get what you pay for so dont skimp.