PDA

View Full Version : new goody! irmscher airbox, bit of help though please

SRlew
25-12-06, 01:50 PM
right got me a irmscher airbox and im well chuffed that iv finaly got one, but just woundering what the 2 holes are for underneath?
i didnt take a pic of the underside but i can if needed.

also how do you mount it to the carbs? was looking at the box and it looks as if the top mounting points are threaed but the bottom ones arnt any one wanna help me out lol

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/srlew/Picture062.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/srlew/Picture064.jpg

cheers lew

Mike
25-12-06, 01:53 PM
hot air breather hoses ;)

i had one and sold it lol

Mike
25-12-06, 01:53 PM
to mount to the carbs, you need to remove the trpets and bolt it in

Chris
25-12-06, 01:54 PM
this should really be in the technical section.

I imagine that the holes in the bottom are for the breather(s) as that is where the normal single breather goes into the pancake airbox.

Mike
25-12-06, 01:55 PM
one breather pipe goes in, and the other hole should have a little plastic plug thing in ;)

SRlew
25-12-06, 02:02 PM
yeh sorry just realised its in general lol

so on the carbs i take it you put a bolt through the carb (on the top ones)and it screws into the airbox? then the bottom ones theres the lugs comeing out of the cars so i just put the nut on etc?

as in breather pipes. you mean ones from the oil thing? ones were you'd put a catch tank on the end?

Mike
25-12-06, 02:05 PM
yeh sorry just realised its in general lol

so on the carbs i take it you put a bolt through the carb (on the top ones)and it screws into the airbox? then the bottom ones theres the lugs comeing out of the cars so i just put the nut on etc?

as in breather pipes. you mean ones from the oil thing? ones were you'd put a catch tank on the end?

yes & yes matey ;)

SRlew
25-12-06, 02:07 PM
ah right thats that cleared up lol

but you know the thin breather pipe. will that go to the box as well? if so how?

also theres a pipe sort of thing in the center of the box? it looks like the same part that on the inlet manifold were the brake servo pipe connects to.

Mike
25-12-06, 02:11 PM
theres a pipe stuck on the airbox?? that shouldnt be there to my knowledge?

SRlew
25-12-06, 02:29 PM
i'll take a pic later and stick it up on here mike

Mike
25-12-06, 02:35 PM
yeah sounds like a plan that

SRlew
25-12-06, 07:41 PM
heres the underneath pics

that 2 holes there for the breathers then?

and theres that pipe thing i mentioned in the middle.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/srlew/Picture066.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/srlew/Picture068.jpg

Novasport
25-12-06, 09:08 PM
The two larger holes are inspection hole to access the top of the carbs and should have some black plastic blanking plugs in them. The blanking plugs/caps are no longer available as I bought the last few from Irmscher but shouldnt be difficult to replicate.
The screw in tube at the rear of the box is for the breather pipe with comes from the engine block breather.

SRlew
26-12-06, 11:57 AM
ah spot on fella! so ill try find somthing for those holes, that could be fun lol

will i need to jubilee clip that breather hose on to the air box?

Novasport
26-12-06, 04:51 PM
If I were you I would re-route the breather pipe to a K&N breather filter or a catch tank as it will just blow oil up onto the air filter. Just remove the metal pipe from the back of the housing & block it off. Give me a shout if you need to know what air filter fits ;)

SRlew
26-12-06, 10:49 PM
ah right cool, atleast i know what im doing with that lot now.

what sort of bolts do i use on the tops of the carbs to fix the air box to them? what fits etc?

NOV4_SPORT
27-12-06, 01:04 PM
the two holes are so the carbs can be set up, with the air box still on the car and the blanking plugs got replaced when it got its 2000 mile service.

NOV4_SPORT
27-12-06, 01:05 PM
sorry to so long to type that, i missed the replys, sorry still kind of hung over lol.

Novasport
27-12-06, 10:11 PM
the blanking plugs got replaced when it got its 2000 mile service.

Incorrect I'm afraid, it was the white tamper proof plugs on the idle mixture volume screws(On carbs not airbox) that were removed on the service & then replaced with black items once complete to retain the warranty.

Novasport
27-12-06, 10:14 PM
ah right cool, atleast i know what im doing with that lot now.

what sort of bolts do i use on the tops of the carbs to fix the air box to them? what fits etc?

I find allen head cap screws the easiest to use, I think they are M6x20 thread. Try to use alloy or stainless steel ones.