PDA

View Full Version : Adive: GSi Tailgate, Vinyl or Paint Black?

Big_Chap
23-12-06, 06:01 PM
have a new tailgate for the nova and also have the rear vinyl (gm) heard stories about it being difficult to fit etc so was thinking of just painting it black (gloss or matt?) also, the vinyl i have is the one with the vauxhall badge on the right hand side which i don't really like either so if i went for vinyl i'd probably sell it and source another one!

what should i do? :thumb:

GTE TURBZ
24-12-06, 07:14 PM
I was going through the same issue earlier, found a place called mactac they've got a vinyl which is more or less like the original thing. Place called viper grafix made the GTE sign up for me too as vauxhall didnt have the gte sign with the black vinyl.

Hope thats help, if you cant find its on the net ill be able to provide you with the number.

Chris
24-12-06, 07:33 PM
get one made up how you want it, and get them to fit it too.

Chris

Benn
24-12-06, 09:25 PM
gloss black and very flat and shine would look cool,

Mazz
24-12-06, 10:33 PM
you think Benn?
imo i think it would look tacky..

Benn
24-12-06, 11:13 PM
yes and no,
if big chap is who i think he is, has a white gsi
then it might look cool painted on if its really shiney...

but at the same point the vinal is good...

cant pick which is better...

Welsh Dan
25-12-06, 12:49 AM
I'd have said a satin black paint to imitate the vinyl.

Big_Chap
25-12-06, 01:34 PM
I was going through the same issue earlier, found a place called mactac they've got a vinyl which is more or less like the original thing. Place called viper grafix made the GTE sign up for me too as vauxhall didnt have the gte sign with the black vinyl.

Hope thats help, if you cant find its on the net ill be able to provide you with the number.

yeah, found the site, do you know the name or part number for that certain type of vinyl?

gloss black and very flat and shine would look cool,

yeah, thats what i was thinking, perhaps hit the boot handle too! unfortunatley its one of those things that you'll not know til its done, either will look great and different or gash! suppose if it look bad then i could always vinyl over it!

would prefer vinyl but seems not many people are up for fitting it!

imo i think it would look tacky..

thats what i'm worried about

staggy_gsi
25-12-06, 05:00 PM
did/can you get the vinyl from GM still? i will be needing one soon as the GSi will be getting sprayed early next year. any chance of a pic of the one yove got? might have it off ya!

GTE TURBZ
26-12-06, 12:29 PM
ring up viper grafix and tell him to send you a broucher that way ou can decide which vinyl you wana go for by matching it up with the one thats on the car already.

im getting a window tinting bloke to do mine and apparently he said he does all stripes that come on the new mini's.

p.s. the vinyl if done proer will look better than sprayed on.

good luck:thumb:

ade
30-12-06, 11:38 AM
dont paint it with gloss paint - I tried doing this years ago with satin paint but when you drive - especially in wet conditions the spray and debris and spray and fine grit that come off the back of the car cause a vortex that believe it or not after a period of time stard to damage the paint - I had thousands of stone chips after less than 6 months!

If you do do it with paint - make sure its done properly and lacquered to protect paint.

Vynals much better - good luck finding GM spec one though.

Big_Chap
03-01-07, 06:18 PM
Vynals much better - good luck finding GM spec one though.

i actually have one but its the type with the vauxhall lettering on the right which i dont like