PDA

View Full Version : Adjust Gearbox

apo
23-12-06, 05:12 PM
Can anyone give me a good guide for adjusting the gearbox.
It's a F16 fitted in a Nova.

It's kind of hard to shift with and the gearlever is very wobbly when in gear.
It can also be hard to get into 1'st, 3'rd and 5'th, all the gears upwards, its usually 5'th that is the worst...

Some guyes told me that it could be adjusted, just not how.
Is there any bushes that can be worn?

Thank you!

Chris
24-12-06, 10:51 AM
if the gearstickis wobbly then it is likely that bushes are worn. You can try adjusting it.

Look under the bonnet towards the back of the gearbox, locate the linkage assembly and you will see a rod coming from inside the car. Get someone in the car to hold the gearstick and slacken off the 13mm bolt. The gearstick must not move side to side here or it will make a balls of it. When the bolt is slackened off (only a couple of turns) then get the gearstick moved back a touch and retighten. Try that however it might make it difficult to get 2nd and 4th gear now.

You could dismantle the linkage and put tape around the knuckles and put it back together, this should reduce play, but then it will require a full setup of the linkage which is a bit harder. How to do that should be on here somewhere, look through the search function, if not then reply here and I'll explain it.

Chris

apo
24-12-06, 09:35 PM
Just been searching around on the forum but i cant find any direct procedure how to adjust/fix the wobbly lever. Saw that many refered to the Haynes Manual.. Would be pleased to be told how this works... :)
Merry Christmas!

apo
27-12-06, 08:37 PM
I'm sorry about bumping this post, but i really cant figure it out myself, and im getting quite tired of the wobbly lever.

So if anybody would like to explain me the Haynes method or a better one, so please...

Thanks

Stuart
27-12-06, 08:56 PM
go and buy a haynes manual...