PDA

View Full Version : paint peeling

chimp007_uk
20-12-06, 11:36 PM
the red paint on my gte spoiler is peeling off... what can i do? don't want to remove the spoiler, and can't spray it at this time. ideally looking for a replacement boot, but has anyone got any herbal remedies to sort it out?

thanks
chris

rednova
20-12-06, 11:44 PM
if the paint is peeling chances are it hasnt been prepped well before painting maybe not de-greased, check the rest of the paint first, if its ok, feather the edge of the paint around the peel - taking it back to good paint, use 320 grit, then key the surrounding area with scotchbrite or similar, degrease - put a dry coat of primer on to get a hold tyhen a wet coat, may need a few coats depending on primer, flat this back using wet 500-800 degrease again, the do the same with your colour going further than the primer before, let dry the flat back with 1500-2000 and polish:)

chimp007_uk
21-12-06, 12:09 AM
thanks for all that... i'll give it ago. but the problem is that the paint is a rubberised type on the spoiler to allow it to flex and not crack... if i spray one patch i'll have to spray it all, it's all faded (red...)

NOV4_SPORT
21-12-06, 09:56 AM
you might get away with paining the damaged area, and polishing the faded area wityh rubbing compound, and blending the two together, but idealy just best geting the whole thing painted again bud.

rednova
21-12-06, 05:40 PM
you might get away with paining the damaged area, and polishing the faded area wityh rubbing compound, and blending the two together, but idealy just best geting the whole thing painted again bud.

yeah - try polishing the faded area with tcut first - if it restores it then you should be ok - if not you'll need to do the whole thing