PDA

View Full Version : V6 Nova?

db_1.2
16-12-06, 02:59 PM
Been looking on migweb and i seen a beast of a Corsa, the 3l v6 6 speed one with nitrous......

And was wondering what work would it take to fit a v6 into a Nova, i done a search but not a lot came up that was useful to me, so as i said what work work need to be done? Would the servo need to me moved? Would the chassis legs be modded?

Also where can i find v6 conversion kits, and what shafts would be needed?

I see that the c25xe is most popular engine for this, so all question for this engine in particular.

Also pics would be nice as ive only ever really seen 3 or 4 nova v6's, one of them on tb's! Would like to see that again.

All information appreciated as normal:)

:thumb:

kingy-gsi
16-12-06, 03:08 PM
ad me i got a few pics nova v6s for ya kingymc2005@hotmail.co.uk

db_1.2
16-12-06, 03:09 PM
Will do:thumb:

R1CH
16-12-06, 06:38 PM
I'd say its just as easy as sticking a 16v motor in.
I had a good look at a 2.6 V6 Nova saloon up at Crail a few months back and theres more room in the bay than you'd think !! you can use a F20 box and normal conversion shafts & gearbox mounts, you'd have to make a front engine mount, mod the manifold to fit, you've got the chop the slam panel as well to clear the rocker cover, other than that its just the wiring & water hoses to sort, Job done !!

Rich

db_1.2
16-12-06, 06:41 PM
I'd say its just as easy as sticking a 16v motor in.
I had a good look at a 2.6 V6 Nova saloon up at Crail a few months back and theres more room in the bay than you'd think !! you can use a F20 box and normal conversion shafts & gearbox mounts, you'd have to make a front engine mount, mod the manifold to fit, you've got the chop the slam panel as well to clear the rocker cover, other than that its just the wiring & water hoses to sort, Job done !!

Rich

Doesnt sound too hard.....

The reason im looking into this is just because c20xe conversions are so popular theres probably less e16se engines being used in novas, i thought this would be something different.

Didnt regal do a conversion kit for this?

General Baxter
16-12-06, 06:44 PM
Didnt regal do a conversion kit for this?

nar there a total custom job! :thumb:

db_1.2
16-12-06, 06:47 PM
nar there a total custom job! :thumb:

Hmmm ok cheers, baxter you still got your v6?

R1CH
16-12-06, 06:53 PM
The only things you've gotta do different from a 16v conversion are, make a engine mount, mod the down pipe & chop the slam panel, from what i saw i don't even think you've gotta mod the chassis leg for the alternator !?
The car was quick in a straight line but even the laddo said that it was terrible thru the bends !!

Rich

db_1.2
16-12-06, 07:20 PM
Hmmm doesnt sound bad at all really, and for fueling i guess you use an MPI tank.

As for gearbox's, if i use the c25xe i will be able to use f20's etc with no mods..... But if i use a c30xe i have to change the flywheel? Is this correct?

One other question, does the brake servo have to be relocated, use a corsa one at all?

R1CH
16-12-06, 07:44 PM
Dunno about the MPi tank or pump ? i've only ever used a GSi tank & external pump.
The f20 will bolt straight on, i'd say you'll keep the V6 flywheel / clutch set up ... worse case is that you might have to mix & match the V6 clutch with f20 (XE) clutch parts ?
No idea on the C30XE ?!
No the servo / MC doesn't need to be moved.
Just from speaking with the laddo who built it, he said he never had any probs fitting it, he biult it in a weekend for laugh to run at Crail !!

Rich

Lee
16-12-06, 07:55 PM
Just a quick question, but are you building this for straight line speed or fun through the twistys? Its going to be less than agile i can assure you!

If your building it because not many have been done, and it'ss be a bit different, i can relate to that, so fair play. Ive been umming and arring about doing one next year, but as a cruiser rather than a toy.

Just something to think about, it would be a shame to be dissapointed how it handles after all the hard work of doing the conversion, but as a show car / cruiser itll be lovely and smooth to drive i rekon.

db_1.2
16-12-06, 08:01 PM
Lol nice one, thanks all for yor replies keep the info comin, and more pics please!

Ill start looking for my new shell first, i feel a sleeper coming on........

db_1.2
16-12-06, 08:04 PM
Just a quick question, but are you building this for straight line speed or fun through the twistys? Its going to be less than agile i can assure you!

If your building it because not many have been done, and it'ss be a bit different, i can relate to that, so fair play. Ive been umming and arring about doing one next year, but as a cruiser rather than a toy.

Just something to think about, it would be a shame to be dissapointed how it handles after all the hard work of doing the conversion, but as a show car / cruiser itll be lovely and smooth to drive i rekon.

As an answer to this ill be doing it because its something different really, and im sure the handling can be tampered with, most probably an electric PAS system will be installed also.

Area51Nova
17-12-06, 10:51 AM
I would do one just for the pure sound of that V6. They sound awesome when you put your foot down. All that air they suck in! Id really like to see a V6 build thread. :D

Philsutton
17-12-06, 11:43 AM

For straight line speed and corners you dont want the V6, it may be "different" but if you want a fast car its not the way to go imo.

Also power steering isnt going to make it handle any better, just makes it easier to turn the wheel.

Lee
17-12-06, 11:49 AM
For straight line speed and corners you dont want the V6, it may be "different" but if you want a fast car its not the way to go imo.

Also power steering isnt going to make it handle any better, just makes it easier to turn the wheel.

Add TB's or a blower and suddenly a V6 will show you what its really about, but I agree, in standard form, its very lazy.

Philsutton
17-12-06, 11:54 AM
yeap but have you seen a nova engine bay lmfao, a blower is going to need to have a rather lot cut out of it, they are a tight fit in a vectra. Ive just never been impressed with them has a whole, ive always said if i was going to build one it would be rear engined, an then you have more room to play with it. But thats a whole other story an mucho work involved lol

Lee
17-12-06, 12:03 PM
Indeedeo, I had exactly the same convo years ago when i was into my VeeDubs, the thread went on for ages about whether it was viable to slap a VR6 into a MK2 instead of a 1.8T, and most idiots look at the capacity and number of cylinders and instantly think its better. IIRC he went the VR route and got his **** handed to him at Brands by a 1.8T varient. Much the same weight issues were involved, as well as the 1.8 being uber tunable. I even kept up with him in my Jetta which only had a rebore and some dustbin lid valves lol

BUT, another chap i knew decided to TB his VR Mk2, and sweet bejesus, the thing was an animal! And much like a Valver Nova, he spent money on the chassis, and it went bloody well on track too.

I rekon TB's would fit with a bit of effort, but i agree on the blower, youd have to put it in the front of the car with a huge belt lol

db_1.2
17-12-06, 12:07 PM
Funny you should say abotu a blower as i once had a dream about a v6 supercharged nova!

Didnt regal do a blower for the v6?

Wouldnt mind links or pics for this, not that i can afford to at this moment due to puttin my every day nova through MOT, but still if someone showed me how much room a blower took up in a veccy or cav, didnt baxter have one ages ago?

Philsutton
17-12-06, 12:10 PM
On a bit of a side track, a guy next to our unit has just got a renualt clio with a 1.8T in, got a rolling road print out of 417bhp before it jumped of the rolling road. It weighs about 600kg. Bit of an animal to say the least, funny thing is not much has been done to the engine to get that, god damn annoying lol. Those 1.8T are amazing engines to be fair.

Philsutton
17-12-06, 12:12 PM
http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/asps/uploads/big/1004-2.jpg
http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/asps/uploads/big/1004-1.jpg

Vectra with supercharger, baxter doesnt finish anything so you can dis-regard that

Lee
17-12-06, 12:15 PM
They are definately the best engine VAG have produced so far, the 2.0 varient in the present golf has serious potential. For a start they finally cottoned on to crossflowing lol. That was the one bain in my **** tuning the old 1.8 GTi lumps, they put everything at the back and then rotated the engine back so it was jammed up against the firewall!!. Suffice to say you didnt want a leaky inlet manifold lol

db, like phil mentioned, i doubt youd be able to fit a standard looking eaton type blower in there, but you can get superchargers that are no bigger than a turbo which you could ram in somewhere.

TYhen theres always the huge bonnet bulge option, or even the 'last of the V8 interceptors' idea, and just have it sticking through a big hole lol

Edit: phil, thats the kind i was thinking of, you can get smaller ones can you not?

db_1.2
17-12-06, 12:16 PM
But i dont think i can really afford to turbo ANY engine, thats why i was going to v6 a nova, for something different, the sound, but mostly the expence.

Also so people can say. ''What engine has that got?'' - and i can say ''2.5 v6'' so then they can say ''WOWWWWW, bet thats amzin bruv safe init mush'' and i can get ''nuff respect!

Na seriously just thought it was something cheap and fun to do really and theres far too many c20xe's i would only ever put one of those in my nova if it could be done in a day for 500 quid or less, far too popular

Lee
17-12-06, 12:19 PM
There is a reason for popularity though, bear that in mind. And putting a V6 in wont be cheap compared to an XE!

db_1.2
17-12-06, 12:21 PM
Yeh i just looked on regal, dont think theres enough room in the bay, too expensive anyway really. If i had the money id love one, but if i had the money i'd rather be the first to do something mad like dual charge a nova.......

Whats a cheap engine to turbocharge anyone? c16se? dont need to lower compression so its a bit easier.....

I think i could afford to c20xe my nova and have a custom tb setup in time, its not going to a quick project anyway, i mean i still havnt got a shell for it yet, im not using my sr or my 1.2 cus there both farely shagged!

Philsutton
17-12-06, 12:24 PM
yep there is always the out the bonnet V8 style but it would only work properly if the engine was turned 90 degrees in the bay as it would just look uber gay. You want like this http://static.flickr.com/45/127103649_e08537b4f0_m.jpg

Also no engine is going to be cheap to turbo properly

Lee
17-12-06, 12:26 PM
IMO a 'different' project would be a Z20LEH conversion, im pretty sure no ones decided its a viable conversion yet due to the wiring and money involved, but that would be a machine and a half!! It would also get right on Courtenays tits if you turned up with a Nova asking for a VXR remap lol

Area51Nova
23-12-06, 09:03 AM
V6 Conversion all the way. Just think about the sound!

matt_mph
23-12-06, 10:44 AM
V6 Conversion all the way. Just think about the sound!

yeh and then thinking of the handling, I have been speaking to people who own astra 2.5 v6's and they claim ( i'v seen the evdience as well ) of what the torque does to the car. When the acclertate heavily the wings start to flex :eek: so if thats on a mk3 that has been strethend imagine what its going to do to a nova

scott.parker
23-12-06, 01:35 PM
Right mate im not going to pish around hear! **** the V6 idea its just stupid,unless you have loads of money or can do it all your self then bin the idea..

And as for doing something diffrent,theres not much left to do,i think if you tuned a 1.4 on t40's would be more diffrent these days,but then you would get sick of it etc..

If you want a quick powerfull cheap conversion then xe it.
If you want a turbo conversion then Let it.

If you realy want a blower then have you thought about looking at xe'ing and trying the cooper S charger? a mate of mine was going to get one for me to look into doing this on mine with the TB's lol but then he got layed of from where he worked so ****ed that idea..

If it was me i would iether spend loads doing a C16xe on tb's or as i have done with mine,or if i did want mega power i would try the z20let or just go c20let.

Scott

db_1.2
23-12-06, 02:47 PM

V6 it is then!

:D

bowman
26-12-06, 06:13 PM
I'm building a v6 nova now. I agree it may not handle as well as a well sorted valver, but itll be a hell of a lot less boring. No one is intersted in 16v novas anymore, it was all the rage 15yrs ago (no offence they're still awsome). V6 is still new, and in my eyes the one to have! Heres a video of one knacking a monaro vxr on the quarter mile!

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/monaro/0/87e6e446-d897-4c62-9bdf-98420118fcec.htm

As for the conversion, I have heard that some people have spent ?800 on custom exhaust manifolds to clear the cross member and steering rack! I will be making a new lower cross member to fit the v6 radiator and i am using triumph 955i stainless 3-1 downpipes with one off flanges. This should clear the rack and give a health power increase. ?100 all in (diy).

Another bonus is the price. I paid ?250 for cav v6 cdx. I just sold the leather for ?100. so the donor car stands me at ?150. I'm using the v6 brakes and hubs. A decent c20xe will cost twice that without brakes etc...

Gearbox f20 with xe flywheel and clutch. Front engine mount needs custom making, and a section of the cavalier chassis rail will be welded into the nova to provide a mounting postion (it may be posible to use the standard mount if the rail is in the right place, but i wont find out until the engine is offered into the bay. )

Traction control is part of the abs system. It can be used, if the full abs is transplanted, as the ecu takes nessary signals from it. Dont think I'm going to bother. I'll post picks and a step by step as i go. Got to finish stripping the cav first.

db_1.2
26-12-06, 09:00 PM
All very good points there Bowman, join the fight for the v6 nova!lol:p

As for the rest of you, im not suprised you told me to c20xe as you all like c20xe gsi lookalike novas with speedlines! I think its time for a change people so use your imaginations!

Thank you:D

Jack
26-12-06, 09:09 PM
I was originally planning to put a V6 in the saloon, but just couldn't really be bothered with the hassle (I'd prefer to buy an off the shelf mount kit for an XE than faff around with custom mounts and chopping the car apart to squeeze the V6 in), and crappy economy it would return lol

bowman
26-12-06, 11:51 PM
The whole idea is about being different.... which is why we all mod our cars. When i want to go fast i get my r1 out. when i want economy i drive my dti vectra.

This is a fun car, for me the fun is in the building. I would never build a car like that because i wanted to just go fast..... And i would NEVER consider fuel economy in a project car........Lets face it, an xe in a nova is as dull as dishwater now in mod scene. Even Let's, awsome as they are, are not turning heads. V6 conversions are still rare and attract alot of interest. They are still mega quick by any standard.

As for hacking away at the shell, 15yrs of road salt has done its worst, cutting and welding in new metal is going to happen now anyway.

At present i think the pros far out way the cons...... did you know the v6 engine was used in saabs and come in a 2.8 turbo?.....this is now in the vectra vxr.

Anyone for a saab 2.8 v6 turbo nova?

Ash
27-12-06, 01:01 AM
if i had the money i'd supercharge a small block 1.6/1.8 16v or fit and tune a Z16LET (?) - new corsa VXR engine.

Ash

rednova
27-12-06, 05:54 PM
did you know the v6 engine was used in saabs and come in a 2.8 turbo?.....this is now in the vectra vxr.

Anyone for a saab 2.8 v6 turbo nova?

could you use the saab 2.5 v6 is this the same as the cav v6 engine?:confused:

novaboyopr
27-12-06, 06:13 PM
my mate has a 3.0 v6 turbo nova and a 2.5 v6 turbo and they are both animals it dont handle that bad but they do shift a saab v6 turbo bolts straight on and the pipe work is all the same off the saab oil feeds and things f20 gearboxes go straight on but he has gone through a few of them

novaboyopr
27-12-06, 06:13 PM
my mate has a 3.0 v6 turbo nova and a 2.5 v6 turbo and they are both animals it dont handle that bad but they do shift a saab v6 turbo bolts straight on and the pipe work is all the same off the saab oil feeds and things f20 gearboxes go straight on but he has gone through a few of them

rednova
27-12-06, 07:53 PM
any pics of your mates novas?

novaboyopr
29-12-06, 02:38 PM
na he doesnt like people other then close mates see whats under the bonnet hes kinda like that he doesnt like to show any of his secrets let alone take pics of it.

Stuart
29-12-06, 02:44 PM
course sweetheart..... untill pics are provided then your simply a blagger ;)

I could say that i know someone who fitted a LC engine into a nova and its rwd etc etc but he dosent take pics so there... ;)

Philsutton
29-12-06, 06:05 PM
sounds a bit dodgy that

bowman
29-12-06, 09:03 PM
you already told us it uses saab parts.... so its not really a secret anymore is it....? plus i think gm beat your mate to it years ago LOL! not really top secret stuff!.

We all know the v6 fits in a nova and we all know the v6 is turbo'd in a saab... so what wrong with showing a pic of it in a nova to entertain?

I personally would like to see it, i think theres not enough cool air flow in the little bay to stop it overheating and melting pistons..... unless you fit a ridiculous bonnet scoop?.....making your car look toss!

nova v6
29-12-06, 09:23 PM
hi after some help i recently bought a v6 nova but it wont run it did not have a fuel pump on it after help what pump should i run ? any ideas

Stuart
30-12-06, 07:59 AM
start your own thread....