PDA

View Full Version : Someone settle an argument....

Anonymous
05-06-01, 12:15 PM
I had an argument last night with a mobile mechanic. We disagreed over what had caused my good friends GSi to self destruct. Here`s the storey:

1991 Nova GSi had new engine from Luton Vauxhall fitted less than a year ago. For the last two months or so it has been pinking when under hard acceleration, and about 3 weeks ago he comes to me with it in a bad way. I recognise the symptoms straight away as a blown head gasket, and sure enough when I took it apart there was a 1" gap in the gasket between 3&4. Fitted new gasket, put it all back together and started it. It drove fine, but wouldnt idle. It was really lumpy and would eventually die. Fitted yet another gasket thinking there might be a fault with the original, started it, and same problem. It was at this point that we noticed the huge amount of crankase pressure. Fumes pumped over a meter out of the car when the filler cap or dipstick was removed. Big problem. At this point my m8 turned to this mobile mechanic and asked him to help. He said that I had probably warped the head and removed it took it away and on inspection it was fine. The head was finely skimmed anyway and refitted, and when put back together although the mechanic got it to idle well, there was the same amount of crankase pressure and the car pinked more than ever. After a week of driving, the mechanic adjusted the timing and mixture and goyt the car running very well, but the crankase pressure was still there. Whilst driving behind my friend I noticed slight hints of blue in the exhaust gasses, but as it was running o.k. I said no more other than that the pressure was still not right. Whilst out in the car with him this Saturday he used superunleaded (about 1/3 of a tank) all was well until sundenly the car became lumpy again and developed a slight misfire under light load, but was fine under hard acceleration. My friend went back to the mechanic that afternoon and he blamed it on the leads (1 week old) and plugs. I disagreed, coz they wouldnt suddenly go like that and the misfire would be under heavier load. he said it would be o.k. at this point. The following morning (b4 we were going to leave for MK) he decided to go for a run and then disaster, he calls for my help and I find that the crankcase pressure is now unbelievable it would run properly at any speed or load and it was forcing oil from everwhere. Once stripped apart we discovered that the piston had collapsed and melted in pot 4 and left damage on the bore aswell. This is where the argument came in. The mechanic (who fitted the engine in the first place) immediately blamed it on my friend using superunleaded. He said it makes the car run to hot and the ecu wouldnt know that it had to retard the ignition. I disagree as the higher octane has nothing to do with power of explotion, just how well the fuel resists detonation, and if anything it means you can run more advanced because of this. In effect superunleaded should be safer to use and the problem would only occur if the other way around and you started using a lower octane when the car was set up for 98. I think that there was an underlying fault all along, which would explain the crankase pressure. Possibly a ring broke at or around the time when the head gasket went and the resulting abuse caused the piston to fail. Any ideas anyone, thats if anyone can be bothered to read this much.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
05-06-01, 12:29 PM
doh, cant help with the problem (as much as i would like) I hope Neil gets it sorted tho, sounds like the mechanic is a numpty. if you need any help just ask (even though i probably couldnt!) spoken to cp about it?

Anonymous
05-06-01, 12:38 PM
You are right about the 98 octane fuel, I think like you said it must have been a broken ring or cracked piston.

"Theres something missing, I'm not all there, Theres something missing".

Anonymous
05-06-01, 04:07 PM
get the mechanic to sort it, chin him, then rob his wallet

Anonymous
05-06-01, 04:25 PM
then shag him

:-/

Anonymous
05-06-01, 04:29 PM
Ok, want sure, asked my dad. he says...
Lumpy under no load is probly gases escaping in head due to leaky gasket.
High pressure (heavy breathing) due to cracked/badly worn piston ring.
And higher octane fuel would certainly not cause that damage, 98 is fine and often helps problems, if he was running 105 race fuel then it wouldnt do the engine much good, but even then it would take a few weeks to cause any damage!
D1cko

Anonymous
05-06-01, 04:30 PM
I`ll pass on the last comment thanx!

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
05-06-01, 04:33 PM
Cheers dicko, exactly what I thought.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Anonymous
05-06-01, 05:25 PM
erm could he have used last of petrol from pump at garage?

i read about an rs turbo doing that and it sounded similar to above problem (in revs).

if this sounds shite sorry :D just trying to help

[-dave_hay.jpg-]
Dave_Hay@novaload.org.uk

Anonymous
05-06-01, 07:18 PM
Also if he used 1/3 of a tank it would b diluted, and unless he was using texaco petrol then it isnt 98 anyway, its like 97.2 or summit. so really it would only b 96.8 after its diluted etc...
These guys make up any shit to get themselves outta trouble!!
If he needs a new engine(bottom end) ill have 1 going in a few weeks!! All is fine apart from valve stem seals, crankcase seal and filler cap!!

Anonymous
06-06-01, 09:42 AM
Blondie? WTF :O

[ged_bong]
Web Design 4 half the price.
Email ged@roybacer.co.uk
Visit www.roybacer.co.uk

Anonymous
06-06-01, 11:53 AM
CRAP!
Sounds like my car at the mo, dont idle, oil comin out from everywhere (fuel pump, 1 head bolt, dizzy, crankcase & so on), think head gasket mite have gone, not 100%, usin normal unleaded, had loads of bother, went thru 4 carbs, not helped.

Any ideas wot it mite be? Doin my nut in, its a 1400SR, weber carb, K&N, no other engine mods.

I was thinkin bout adding a head & cam and also in the back of my mind, balencing the bottom end, will these help, or cause more bother?

Cheers for info!
Sorry couldnt help. :-/

Anonymous
06-06-01, 06:56 PM
Balancing the bottom end is only really need if you`re running at vhigh rpm`s all the time.

Anonymous
06-06-01, 10:48 PM
Ur right and he's wrong.
Bring him up to "tune" me Challenger and I'll accidently track him into the shit!

Anonymous
06-06-01, 11:10 PM
Hmm Mark that basically a list of what i've just done to mine. When it gets on the road i'll let you know what the performance is like.

be warned though for what u mentioned above doing a proper job will cost close to ?1000

B-) "Don't send me back to the dark place" B-)

Anonymous
08-06-01, 04:10 PM
Out of interest how much was this new engine from Vauxhall?

Cheers, Ben.

Anonymous
08-06-01, 04:31 PM
Oh and also - would a compression test have confirmed whether the piston/piston rings are fooked?

Cheers, Ben.