PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain problem

atokley
10-12-06, 12:54 PM
Hello, just wondered if anyone can help me with this problem!

drivetrain spec of my nova, f20box, quaife atb lsd, late spec astra gte hubs and driveshafts.

Heres the story: Went over a mini roundabout and it bumped a little, all of a sudden i have no drive and every gear makes a grinding sound when i lift the clutch up! Take a closer look and none of the driveshafts are moving and the grinding sounds like it coming from the diff/inner cv joint area!

My mate toes me home, all of a sudden the car starts driving again! I knew my passenger outer cv was on the way out so i changed it, got in the car and it drove fine.......for 500m!

I let of the accelerator, put it back down and all of a sudden its grinding again.

When i changed my outer cv joint i noticed the inner boot had gone so i changed the boot (without removing the shaft) and repacked it with grease.

From this explanation is it clear what the problem is? I dont really have a clue, thought i would ask before i go draining the gearbox and pulling the shaft to check the inner cv's.

Cheers people

edens-xe
10-12-06, 03:22 PM
you may want to check the inner c.v it sounds like its playing up. you may find you have stripped the teeth on it which means a new one is required

atokley
10-12-06, 05:11 PM
you may want to check the inner c.v it sounds like its playing up. you may find you have stripped the teeth on it which means a new one is required

Just checked and the driver side one had popped out slightly! just popped it back in! ****ing thing lol

Cheers mate

Philsutton
11-12-06, 07:36 PM
^^ make sure it hasnt sheared the end of the cv off, i had this problem in the nova. Snapped a shaft at pod, changed it there then went for another run but hadnt popped it in properly and it came out an snapped the end of the cv off. I could get it back in an driving up because the clip was still in the diff it would keep coming out.

atokley
14-12-06, 12:24 AM
^^ make sure it hasnt sheared the end of the cv off, i had this problem in the nova. Snapped a shaft at pod, changed it there then went for another run but hadnt popped it in properly and it came out an snapped the end of the cv off. I could get it back in an driving up because the clip was still in the diff it would keep coming out.

Cheers for the advise mate,after i popped it back in i have givien it a good 'testing' ;) and it seems to 100% again so dont really want to take the inner cv out to check it as i will have to change the gearbox oil and i'm lazy :P

Philsutton
14-12-06, 08:41 PM
You might be lucky then, i had to take my diff out to get the sheared end off out of it.

mikey14sr
15-12-06, 06:41 PM
sounds like your gearbox oil is going to be full of metal filings, might be wise to change the oil anyway.