PDA

View Full Version : Plastic dye

Iain
09-12-06, 05:49 PM
Thinking of colouring my interior panels (dash, rear/boot panels etc) either dark grey or black. Can anybody recommend me a product to do this? I have seen "flexible vinyl paint" in Halfords for ?10/300ml :eek: Has anybody used this successfully?

Rob
10-12-06, 09:44 AM
just a thought but why dont you just go and buy a full gsi interior,it would be a lot easier and look a lot better.:D

Welsh Dan
10-12-06, 10:13 AM
That stuff chips off loads, i bought it by mistake once.

dannyb
10-12-06, 10:52 AM
I've never seen that vinyl spray's finish look anything other than orange peel or chipped after a few months. You could try http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/ and order their catalogue to see if they've got anything better.

Stoo
10-12-06, 11:11 AM
I used Vynal paint from halfords and did a complete dash, shelves and a few other bits and 18 months in it only has a slight few chips in it which is repaired a piece of pi$$

Iain
10-12-06, 11:27 AM
just a thought but why dont you just go and buy a full gsi interior,it would be a lot easier and look a lot better.:D

More expensive :p I'll carry on looking for the right product :thumb:

Jack
10-12-06, 12:02 PM
I used Foliatec stuff before which was fine. Couple of chips but only where I missed cleaning the vinyl properly.

Could you lacquer it to make it stronger?

Iain
10-12-06, 12:37 PM
^ Good idea, may help.

Halford's "flexible vinyl paint" says it soaks in to plastics etc changing the colour pigments, so it sounds like the stuff I want. May be easier to get a good finish with dark grey instead of black as well :thumb:

Nova_Tek
10-12-06, 05:20 PM
I just used standard halfords satin black spray and nothing else for my dash respray. It was for my MK1 dash and that is all hard plastic which is why its still sticking.

No scratches or peeling at all.

Iain
10-12-06, 05:35 PM
Fair enough (although I'm not gonna try that on my mk2 lol). The Halfords "flexible vinyl paint" says it soaks in to plastics/etc so will give that a bash once I get the dash off lol No doubt will put some pics up if successfull