PDA

View Full Version : rust - what to do ?

Anonymous
23-05-01, 05:16 PM
if your trying to get rid of rust, and you have sanded it down, scraped away all of the rusted metal, what do you do next ?
Should you treat it with something to stop it coming back, if so whats best to use ?
then do you just fill it and sand it and spray it, as I have tried this and the rust keeps coming back !!!!
P.S its only a small amount along the edge of the rear arches but it looks shit on my shiny white car !!!!! help pleeze

count to 10, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10. You cooked her 9's !!!!!

Anonymous
23-05-01, 05:26 PM
hmmm to get rid of rust u gotta cut it out. but if you can get back to bare metal apply anti rust stuff then anti rust primer etc...

if it still comes back then id try some p38 to cover it.

anti rust stuff is basically pick whatever u like the look of from shop

[-dave_hay.jpg-]
Dave_Hay@novaload.org.uk

Anonymous
25-05-01, 02:16 AM
Don't just use sand paper either...get a sanding disk on a grinder.....take it right back properly. With normal sand paper doing it my hand, it's impossible to get rid of every last spec, so it comes back. It could take a year or so, but it will come back. Do it right, and it should never come back.

www.novabug.co.uk

Anonymous
25-05-01, 09:29 AM
an anti rust GEL made by hammerite is very good, and its a gel so it stays put and goes into all the nooks and crannies

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
27-05-01, 10:34 AM
Whatever you do on the outside wont stop it cos the problem lies inside the seam. Have ago like the others have said ( Trustan is the anti rust stuff I use)and tart up the outside. Then carefully remove the trim inside the car and get plenty of clean oil in down the inside of the arches. It will soak into the seam and stop the rust from continuing to develop. Also each time you clean the car run a thin film of grease around the inside of the arch to stop water and salt getting in. This is all best done at this time of year