PDA

View Full Version : Damn that wandering idle

Anonymous
23-05-01, 04:17 PM
I posted a msg a while ago asking for advice on my idle probs. I have since noticed that if I squeeze the pipe on the top of the coasting air valve, the idle returns to normal. Deciding that the coasting air valve was the problem I Lashed out on a new one (?47). I attached it and started the car, only to find that it still did the same thing. So im ?50 down and it still idles at 1k then randomly revs up to 3k then back down to 1k. I have got an induction kit and full stainless zorst, Could it be running lean. If you have had a simalar prob or have any guesses at what it could be please help b4 I lose my rag and torch it. x-(

Anonymous
23-05-01, 04:19 PM
sorry mate, can't help ya

Anonymous
23-05-01, 05:20 PM
mixture needs set up had same prob on my sr but its carb :d
if not that u got a spring sticking somewhere and someone else ill explain cause i aint good with words no more! cant ya tell?

[-dave_hay.jpg-]
Dave_Hay@novaload.org.uk

Anonymous
23-05-01, 06:41 PM
If it`s injected chek the throttle position sensor and idle stepper motor,valve. I don`t think the zorst and filter will male any dif to the idle. Check the coolant sensor for the ecu also as if this is faulty the ecu will fuel the engine too lean/rich.

Anonymous
25-05-01, 12:32 PM
Shep - Yeah Ive got a GTE, and Ive got the exact problem. I also noticed if I squeezed the pipe to the coasting air valve, my 'revs' dropped down. Im about to buy one now... well I was until I just read what you said.... HMMM I was told by an Vauxhall Garage this is a common problem with the Coasting Air valves. Has your Coasting air valve been set correctly?

Anonymous
25-05-01, 06:51 PM
When I brought it it was set up and marked with paint.

Anonymous
25-05-01, 07:30 PM
So if thats not the problem, then I better not go and buy one. I was quoted ?170 from Vauxhall!!!! Fuck me, that would of pissed me off, if I had bought it, and still had the problem. Have you tried :
1 - Cleaning the AFR, and the throttle housing etc...
2 - Disconnecting the battery for an hour, to reset the ecu.

Ive tried number 2, but im gonna do it again. We work this out !! its pissing me off having this problem! Let me know how you get on!

Anonymous
25-05-01, 07:33 PM
Its funny, as soon as the engine gets warm, the REVS stick at 2000 - 2500 rpm, then as soon as the engine cools down, it idles at 1000rpm. I know for sure its not the Return Spring, and Ive carb cleaned everything. I was so sure it was the Coasting Air Valve. Was the coasting air valve new when you bought it shepp? Is it poss that it could be knackered as well?

Anonymous
26-05-01, 09:24 AM
It was brand new from vauxhall and there is not much in there to go wrong. try sucking pipes to make sure diaphram is not split. I have cleaned everything off and reset ecu but it still does it. I reckon it could be the throttle position sensor but I dont fancy laying down ?80 to find out. I