PDA

View Full Version : 8v rocker cover, how and which paint??

John
02-12-06, 03:46 PM
My 1.3 ohc rocker cover has been painted black, with the ohc and fins highlighted. Now the trouble is, that it's all peelin off due to the heat/temperature of the engine.
Which paint can i use to re-do it?, or can i get it specially coated (like powder coating etc) as i really don't want it to come off again! it's previously been done with halfords heat temp paint which came off in big chunks the first time the engine got warm.

Anyone know where i can get it re-coated? or recommend some GOOD quality paint for it?:thumb:

Adam
02-12-06, 03:52 PM
Any paint should stay on if its prepped correctly.

I have used Halfords normal paint on my rocker, and its still looking shiny, 3k miles later.

John
02-12-06, 03:56 PM
How did you prep the r/c? It was all clean, smooth and tidy before painting so i can't see why it's come off other than the heat. Did you use some sort of special primer to make the paint stick to the alloy?

Adam
02-12-06, 03:58 PM
Nah man, i just used normal primer.
The rocker was first prepped with 500 wet and dry, then a few coats of primer, then a few of Halfords Hurricane Grey.
And it stayed on fine, it just smelt a bit like burning paint for a few miles whilst the heat hardened the paint. Lol

I've found proper heat paint to be quite crap, its flaked off my manifold etc too, whereas normal paint has stayed on,Lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/P1010007Medium.jpg

Mike
02-12-06, 06:15 PM
just use any VHT paint!!

VHT = Very High Temp btw

Adam
02-12-06, 06:33 PM
Thats what John say's he uses on it originally /\

Mike
02-12-06, 06:53 PM
Thats what John say's he uses on it originally /\

i used it on mine and 5k miles later is still mint, its all down to the prepping (being a painter and decorator myself, i get told this everyday, and low and behold its correct ;) )

lee coley
02-12-06, 07:06 PM
use etch primer 4 bare metals it etches into the metal so paint stiks

John
03-12-06, 02:46 PM
use etch primer 4 bare metals it etches into the metal so paint stiks

Would this be suitable for use on the r/c bearing in mind the heat? The hafrauds stuff was crap, it would have looked better colouring it in with a marker pen!

lee coley
12-12-06, 10:21 PM
Would this be suitable for use on the r/c bearing in mind the heat? The hafrauds stuff was crap, it would have looked better colouring it in with a marker pen!

yep its only a lightish coat not a full coat then use you 2pack primer or paint straight over the top when it dry's (10mins drying time)

etch primer is an acid based primer!!it will give you cancer if you dont wear a mask!:(