PDA

View Full Version : Biofuel

hendrix
01-12-06, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know how to make this stuff? I know you can mix it 2:1 (diesel:veg oil) without any mods, but what about running the 100% stuff? I think you have to add a small amount meths or something to thin slightly and some sort of heating mechanism for the pipes?
Anyone else know any more??
Cheers :thumb:

craig green
01-12-06, 03:37 PM
I thought Biofuel was made using hay amongst other agricultural fuels.

You still trying to think of a way to do Lands end to John 'o' groats for 10p?

Matt2107
01-12-06, 03:40 PM
While we are on the subject of alternative fuels.

How much does an lpg conversion cost nowadays?

bump
01-12-06, 03:42 PM
The mix that I know is 9 parts veg oil 1 part paraffin and leave it to settle for 24 hours. I know lads that have been running it in their generators for years with no issues.

bump
01-12-06, 03:42 PM
LPG conversion is about 2K. I know someone that does it up in Leicestershire.

Matt2107
01-12-06, 03:48 PM

Bloody hell... didnt realise it was that expensive.

craig green
01-12-06, 03:51 PM
Bloody hell... didnt realise it was that expensive.

get what you pay for. There are hooky systems & good ones. One of my clients does them & they use pukka prinz systems. Always got big Jags & 12 cyl Mercs or American V8 pick up trucks in for installations.

www.lloydash.co.uk

bump
01-12-06, 03:52 PM
Yep and there are no government grants for it any more. It used to cost joe public about ?400 with the subsidy. A cynic (sp?) may guess that the thought of the lost tax revenue was the ulterior motive for killing it off.

Matt2107
01-12-06, 04:00 PM
Yep and there are no government grants for it any more. It used to cost joe public about ?400 with the subsidy.

Thats more like it.
I hadn't realised they had stopped the grants.

craig green
01-12-06, 04:02 PM
Or use Red Diesel from farmers. You can strain off the Red dye with cat litter.

I'd rather have an alcohol distillery in my shed though if you are gonna go to that much trouble. Build a high compression turbo or supercharged engine for it.
Run it on Moonshine. LOL

Jack
01-12-06, 05:08 PM
I was considering a gas conversion (not on the GT4!), but tbh with the ?1.5-2k cost and lower fuel economy its really not worth it so much any more. IIRC the duty levy is only on til about 2009 - bear in mind LPG is on average about 46p per litre, compared to UL which is around 87p per litre. Add the 53% fuel duty to LPG and all of a sudden you have a fuel thats 98p per litre. Remember its less economical than petrol/derv and you suddenly have an expensive car...

Bear in mind the ?2k cost of the conversion could buy you about 2230 litres, or 511 gallons, of unleaded @ 87p per litre. At say 30mpg that would get you 15.3k miles. Thats around a years driving purely for the cost of the conversion! By the time you've reached a mileage where the conversion has paid for itelf the duty will be back up and you'll end up paying more lol

dannyb
01-12-06, 05:57 PM
Does anyone know how to make this stuff? I know you can mix it 2:1 (diesel:veg oil) without any mods, but what about running the 100% stuff? I think you have to add a small amount meths or something to thin slightly and some sort of heating mechanism for the pipes?
Anyone else know any more??
Cheers :thumb:

The veg oil and parafin trick does work, the only problem is paying duty on the Veg oil and proving you have done so in the event of anyone finding out....

garyc
01-12-06, 09:07 PM
When I worked in the oil industry you boiled veg oil up with caustic methanol to form the methyl esters from the triglyceride. This formed a bio diesel fuel. I suspect if it got to cold with normal veg oil and dieslel it would be like pumping treacle!!!!!!!!

bump
03-12-06, 09:43 PM
The parafin thins the mix down so it won't clog on the valves. I haven't got a clue about the duty side of things. However I do know that biodiesel is not taxed on the continent so perhaps a challange could be brought against fatty Brown.

Philsutton
04-12-06, 07:07 PM
Mate ran his TD nova and 106 on chip fat from the local chip shop for ages without trouble. Did no changes in order to run it, only thing was it used to stink.

General Baxter
04-12-06, 07:22 PM

please tell lol