PDA

View Full Version : Knocking!!?

Anonymous
23-05-01, 08:29 AM
Hey peep's i need help,
I'm in the process of getin my motor sweet for the meets coming up, but this week my cars developed a knocking when i apply power after changing gear, i have a feeling it's a drive shaft or bearing. It's gettin on my tit's cos i think it might go big time soon! :(X-(
Am i right in thinking it could a driveshaft? If so how much roughly are new ones? is it a big job to replace them or bearings? I need this sorted asap, so all help/advice would be grateful!!;D

Cheers

Anonymous
23-05-01, 08:56 AM
As the engine rocks in the engine bay (under acceleration) it could be the exhaust banging the bottom of the car or something else catching as it moves, sounds like it could be a driveshaft though. Also check the bottom arm(track arm) ball joints, and tie bar bushes. What car is it?

"Theres something missing, I'm not all there, Theres something missing".

Anonymous
23-05-01, 10:02 AM
sounds obvious but check you have all of your wheel nuts and that they are tight, (look at page 3 on general chat at the message entitled F*****G W*****S. If its not that then it sounds like it is the CV Joint to me, because I looked it up in the workshop manual, knocking sound when accelerating it says something like outer constant velocity joint. look it up for yourself. CV joints are about ?180 new from Vauxhall _ Rip off bastards- get one off of a second hand nova for about a a score.

count to 10, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10. You cooked her 9's !!!!!

Anonymous
23-05-01, 10:12 AM
cv joints from halfords are about ?58 with exchange.

with reference to what paul sed it could also be an engine mount broken causing the engine to rock.

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
23-05-01, 10:30 AM
I have a set of shafts for sale from a 1.4 SR (thats an f10 box) Nr Leeds.

"Theres something missing, I'm not all there, Theres something missing".

Anonymous
23-05-01, 11:08 AM
its a 1.2 91 model, with a 4 spd box, donno what box it is though.

Anonymous
23-05-01, 11:09 AM
Or if your in the south east (sussex) I have a pair for sale!

Anonymous
23-05-01, 11:36 AM
You can come and visit me m8, and I`ll be able to tell you what it is for definate. I`ve got an ear for nasty noises!

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
23-05-01, 11:41 AM
when mate, i need this sorted!! i could come tommorrow, i need to go extreme anyways. :D

Anonymous
23-05-01, 12:03 PM
Tomorrow evening is fine, call me and I`ll give ya directions, its only just off of the A10.

Are you going to Xtreme to get suspension?

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)\

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
23-05-01, 12:03 PM
sounds like driveshaft.
cv joints are for corners really? to make sure ur driveshaft still turns when ur turning the steering wheel? so cv joints would only rattle at corners?

[-dave_hay.jpg-]
Dave_Hay@novaload.org.uk

Anonymous
23-05-01, 01:51 PM
hmmm, cheers for your feed back lads!

MC, nope not gettin the suspension done, i'll give you a bell! :D

Anonymous
23-05-01, 03:45 PM
i have a wierd knocking noise coming from my engine bay too. but its okay, cos it goes away when i turn the tunes up. :D

Anonymous
23-05-01, 09:31 PM
yeah cv joint ticks when u turn right round and gets faster as u do!

NOVADOSE75@HOTMAIL.COM

Anonymous
23-05-01, 09:32 PM
p.s all novas have some sort of knock or clonk! :p

NOVADOSE75@HOTMAIL.COM

Anonymous
24-05-01, 09:35 AM
it is a mixture between wear on your drive shafts and in your gearbox. the way to fix it is to replace both shafts and ur box.

THAT WALL HURT !!