PDA

View Full Version : 17 years old, 1.2??

greg1.4
30-11-06, 03:27 PM
hi, can someone give me a rough price for a 17 year old, 1.2 nova, j reg, gsi 3 spoke wheels, full gsi kit, digi dash, lowered 60mm, gsi interior and a peco exhaust?

thanks

Jack
30-11-06, 03:49 PM
?Lots lol

Ring a few places and see what they say. Can't really give a rough idea for mods as insurance companies usually seem to pick random numbers out the air when you mention the car has been modified!

Could try Elephant/Admiral - their online systems allow for a handful of mods on the quotation. And add your (more experienced and/or older) mum/dad/sister/pet dog as a second driver to bring the premium down.

Adam
30-11-06, 03:49 PM
?1400

Lee
30-11-06, 03:50 PM
if the 17 year old was blonde and has reasonable boobs, id give you 100 quid for her lol

Seriously though, try Confused.com, its the best place to start normally.

ANDYRACER
30-11-06, 04:31 PM
?1400

It's ?1400 a year on a 1.0 nova with one years driving experience and no mods declared. So he'll be lucky to get much change out of ?1600

Novadave06
30-11-06, 04:35 PM
I was insured on a 1.2L nova at 17 and it cost me ?1200 with liverpool victoria!!

Matt2107
30-11-06, 04:39 PM
I was insured on a 1.2L nova at 17 and it cost me ?1200 with liverpool victoria!!

Same here but with direct line.

Adam
30-11-06, 04:50 PM
My 1.2i(a grp lower than 1.2 carb) cost ?1150 with LV, when i was 18 with a years driving....

Jack
30-11-06, 05:11 PM
It's ?1400 a year on a 1.0 nova with one years driving experience and no mods declared. So he'll be lucky to get much change out of ?1600
If its that much for a std 1.0, I'd say at least ?2k+ for a modded 1.2 then!!

bump
30-11-06, 05:36 PM
Don't forget though postcode plays a large part in it.

When I moved RAC wanted a 300% increase due to postcode change ( I lived in Cornwall before).

Mazz
30-11-06, 05:44 PM
My 1200 cost me circa $800 (no pound sign) with CIS.
tbh, the only thing i would declare would be the lowering and exhaust, and maybe the digi-dash. The rest are genuine oe Nova items and as far as you are aware, all standard..

greg1.4
30-11-06, 06:24 PM
yes i have been told cis are the best people to be with if you are young and insuring a modified car. When my sister had the nova i now have she was getting it for ?700 with the cd playes, 6x9 speakers, alloy wheels and the exhuast. When i put the lowering springs on for her she told cis and they said it doesnt matter about any mods aslong as it doesnt increase the performance. I also live way out in the country and it will be kept in a drive or in a garage nights.

CLEMMY1
30-11-06, 06:37 PM
i wud say try www.ecarinsurance.co.uk (http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk) they do pay as you go monthly insurance and you get a years no claims after just 8 months and they are very cheap with or without mods

gary_126
30-11-06, 08:49 PM
also insurance companys hate novas lol. Some who cover engine conversions and stuff wont touch c20xe novas at all, as there lethal in the wrong hands!

U should get it for under 1k if u shop around, just so many companys wont insure modded cars until the driver is 19+

Jack
30-11-06, 11:32 PM
My 1200 cost me circa $800 (no pound sign) with CIS.
tbh, the only thing i would declare would be the lowering and exhaust, and maybe the digi-dash. The rest are genuine oe Nova items and as far as you are aware, all standard..
Declare EVERYTHING - that includes parts chopped across from other Novas. Insurance companies look for any reason to avoid paying out for a claim, and their T&Cs usually state you have to declare any non-standard items, i.e. if it didn't leave the factory with it, its a "mod". They do know GSi bumpers, for example, were not factory fit for 1.2 merits!

They're thinking about the car being more desirable to thieves mainly you see. Say a pikey sees a std 1.2 merit parked up next to what appears to be a GSi, you can make a safe bet on which one he'd try and get into!

yes i have been told cis are the best people to be with if you are young and insuring a modified car. When my sister had the nova i now have she was getting it for ?700 with the cd playes, 6x9 speakers, alloy wheels and the exhuast. When i put the lowering springs on for her she told cis and they said it doesnt matter about any mods aslong as it doesnt increase the performance. I also live way out in the country and it will be kept in a drive or in a garage nights.
lmfao its the good old "CIS cover mods for free!" urban legend lol

Unless CIS have recently changed their underwriters... When I had my hatch I was told the same thing - non-performance mods make no difference. To cover my back, I wrote down the changes I'd made, included a couple of pics and sent to the local office. Few weeks later I get a letter coming through that my group 4 1.2 was now a "modified group 6" and I owed them ?70 more for insurance. Rang, wrote and even went round to the local office to protest, but it didn't make a blind bit of difference, they were still going to charge me. Eventually managed to get in touch with the insurance underwriters and explained the situation, they said CIS keep doing this (i.e. informing people non-performance mods are free when they're not), apologised and waived the fee, but said come renewal I'd have to pay up for the mods. So I changed to HIC :D

Bear in mind even if CIS say to go ahead, in the event of a claim it will be the underwriters - not CIS - who decide if you get a payout. If they see a modified car without a modified policy, don't expect anything from them. Same goes for if someone drives into you; they'll look for any reason not to pay out.

Iain
01-12-06, 03:20 PM
In response to the original question... I paid around ?1100 at 17 on a standard 1.2 Merit. Places like Elephant are good but are picky about some modifications (they wouldn't insure anything below 50mm lowering :wtf:)

Agreed; Declare everything, and if you can't get insured for the first year try driving a standard car for a year ;) It'll come down no end after your first years NCB (did for me)

Nobby
03-12-06, 12:26 PM
im on my moms insurance and ive bin on 1 year on my 1.2 and now have a 1.0 its come down from ?326 to ?295 with 1 years no claims and im getting a NCB aswell (this is with liverpoolvictoira) mint for me!!

Jack
03-12-06, 11:42 PM
Thats not a particularly large drop for a years NCB - My hatch used to go down by around ?70-100 each year. You might want to check with other insurance companies if they'll honour NCB thats been earnt as a second driver as well, I know a lot of them won't as my sister's bloke found out a year or so ago lol

Adam
04-12-06, 01:20 AM
The more you pay tho the more your NCB discount is.
Say like 40% discount on ?1200 gives a big decrease.
My insurance halved with 1yrs ncb.

banny
04-12-06, 01:31 AM
im 17 an av a 1.2 an kwickfit give me the best deal at 1.152 quid. an a trick that works is when thay ask you for the date you want the policiy to start put at the end of the month an it is always cheaper and getting 3rd party fire an theft it is cheeper than just 3rd party dont no why tho