PDA

View Full Version : HELP ! XE water problem

DI4BLO
30-11-06, 09:01 AM
Ok the engine is still in a cavalier but sure you tech heads can help.

Had the car a while and just getting round to putting it on the road.
have been regularly starting it and letting it run.

The problem it has is this and i shall try and explain as best i can.

It is using water excessivly every time i go to start it i have to fill it up. There is a noise coming from the bottom/rear ish very hard to tell as its a light noise and bounces around the bay, i don't believe its a worn bottom end or piston slap. my instinct tells me water pump ?! there is no excessive steam from the exhaust. However the first time i had it moving at the weekend i started it up ran it for ten minutes then drove down the road and as i did the steam poured into the car from around the dash, not alot but enough to worry me !! Also the temperature gauge on the dash just got to midway (opperating temp) after 15mins but the heat coming from under the bay was way over the usuall and no fan kicking in?

Symptoms:

1. using excessive amounts of water
2. Noise almost like a very little rattle (maybe pump bearings)
3. steam in cab
4. temperature gauge not reaching optimum !
5. no mayo in the head (yet !)
6. car runs and drives fine and picks up well other than above obviously

Suppose if i read that again it might become obvious but any thoughts most appreciated.

Water pump or am i going to have to do a rebuild? if so anyone want to swap a my nova gsi for a decent XE lol ? If it is, anyone about in the Bognor-portsmouth way fancy helping out ?!

Cheers in advance

Martin

Welsh Dan
30-11-06, 11:29 AM
Steam in the cab indicates a leak in/around the heater matrix.

DI4BLO
30-11-06, 11:41 AM
Steam in the cab indicates a leak in/around the heater matrix.

Would that be in addition to other elements or would that explain all the above ?

bump
30-11-06, 12:17 PM
That could explain the above, the leak could cause a rattle as the water is under pressure, hence a pipe/fitting rattling in the bulkhead. Also as it's losing water the temp gauge will not rise as high.

I may be wrong though, I have been in the past.

DI4BLO
30-11-06, 01:11 PM
Any other thoughts ?

dannyb
30-11-06, 04:06 PM
I'd say heater matrix if their steam entering the cabin. Is the coolant system under pressure (so when you open the expansion tank, it hisses?) If its losing pressure, the water will be more prone to boiling sooner, without the fan kicking in, it could be quite bad for the engine!! How much is a new thermostat as this might be a good time to fit a new one!

bump
30-11-06, 04:30 PM
I was thinking that the system wouldn't pressurise due to the leak.

DI4BLO
30-11-06, 04:38 PM
Cheers dan, thermostats aren't expensive but as with everything just wanted to check i am going down the right route, will try new thermostat and get under and check the old heater matrix at the weekend

dannyb
01-12-06, 01:18 AM
If you need a second pair of hands, Im usually about during the day over the weekend mate for a few hours before work.

DI4BLO
01-12-06, 09:43 AM
If you need a second pair of hands, Im usually about during the day over the weekend mate for a few hours before work.

You have PM :thumb:

DI4BLO
04-12-06, 09:42 AM
Ok upon further inspection i believe i have two problems, the water is the heater matrix really the only way the water could enter cab.

The noise is the power steering pump, rekon its fecked, would explain the steering at full lock and tempramental lack of power steering.

Anyobody got a pump they took of as the nova didn't need it lol ?

bump
04-12-06, 11:18 AM
Nova's don't have power steering. Must be a retrofit of some description, probably from a corsa b/c.

That matrix is the only bit that water from the block could enter, but there are may other ways for water to get in such as the battery tray being rotten.

DI4BLO
04-12-06, 11:22 AM
Nova's don't have power steering. Must be a retrofit of some description, probably from a corsa b/c.

That matrix is the only bit that water from the block could enter, but there are may other ways for water to get in such as the battery tray being rotten.

Nope but cavaliers do lol, sorry mate, as said engine still in the cavalier !!

And the battery is at the front of the cav, but there are plenty of places for it to come in just not steam up.

Cheers
Martin