PDA

View Full Version : where can you buy alloy doorcards?

SRlew
28-11-06, 05:36 PM
as above? any sites where you can buy alloy door cards for novas?

cheers, lew

Mike
28-11-06, 07:02 PM
steel stock holders, buy a sheet of alminum and cut to size Lew ;)

SRlew
28-11-06, 10:00 PM
yeh spose so lol

iv got front ones, but want rear ones, i remember seeing somewhere on the web that sells them but carnt remember where.

also my front ones, where the door opening handle is, that hole is to big, so was also woundering if its possible for me to get someone to weld a part in to bring it back to the correct size, then id obviously have to spray them wouldnt i, or would the weld blend in?

also is it easy to get a good neat cut on alloy?

Matt2107
29-11-06, 10:07 AM
I think if you try and weld a bit to make the hole bigger it'll look naff.

I'd consider buying the metal and replacing all 4 door cards so they all look the same. Then whack your old ones on here or ebay and get a little money back.

Chunky Lover
29-11-06, 05:33 PM
Why dont ya try white perspex its alot lighter and can look very nice. just rivet it onto the old door once you have made your measurements

bigbened
29-11-06, 05:44 PM
thats a very good idea anyone know where you can get this stuff. That should go nice with my perspex sub box

Chunky Lover
29-11-06, 05:56 PM
not sure if i can help ya there im over in ireland but its quite cheap stuff.and normally sold in big things so if the first attempt goes belly up you still have more to play with(speaking from experience).

Welsh Dan
29-11-06, 06:32 PM
A few years ago I bought a sheet of alu 2m x 1m x 2mm from a local builders merchant for ?35, should be plenty enough for the job.

SRlew
30-11-06, 07:46 PM
umm perspex is defanently got me thinking. but the stuff i seen, is just clear so would need spraying.

how do you get a good cut on alloy then? jigsaw? think id rather go back to alloy. might have a look round see where i can get a sheet.

bump
30-11-06, 09:34 PM
Guessing that you'll be doing this at home gofor a dimond 4 1/2 inch disk for the rough shape then stock up on thick grinding disks to shape it. Jig blades don't last 10 mins.

When you say alloy what exactly do you mean? As different alloys have different properties.

You can also get coloured perspex, bold colours and strong tones though.

SRlew
01-12-06, 09:45 PM
didnt know there were different types of alloy tbh

when you say dimond disk, i take it it isnt just a cutting disc? lol

Paul
08-12-06, 11:15 AM
alloy is a micture of 2 metals or more, u mean aluminium, aka ally, alloy is something totrally different.

I use metal jigsaw blades a fair bit, they seem to do the trick, even if its one per doorcard thats still only about ?5. not bad at all, compared to a diammond cutting discs at like ?3.50-4.00, then few grinding dics at like ?2.50each.

Paul

SRlew
11-12-06, 11:28 AM
ah right that doesnt sound to bad, might give it a try with the jig then
lol yeh i do mean aluminium