PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on springs?

Pigeonrat9
28-11-06, 02:40 PM
Don't worry, it's not the usual "can I lower it into the deck" question! Still, I apologise if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it on the search.
Anyway, I fitted a cheapo set of PI springs and Bilstein black dampers (Streetline I think) to my 1.2 runaround last year (after an original front spring snapped clean in half lol), but now the other half is complaining about the ride, and I must admit it feels like the dash is going to fall off going over drain covers etc. Has anyone got any recommendations for springs which are comfy enough for her but still sharp enough for me? I couldn't care less about ride height or budget really...

I've got Eibachs on the Astra but someone told me the Nova ones are no better than the PI ones :wtf:

Cheers people...

craig green
28-11-06, 05:27 PM
I can sympathise with you & the Mrs. the Bilstein streetline kit is absolute gash. chuck it in the bin. I found it bouncy & harsh up front & barely any lower at the rear. I had umpteen springs on warranty, 2 sets of fr dampers warranty'd & the rears lasted just over a yaer before they leaked all the fluid over my driveway.

Ive run KONIs up front ever since & can only praise them for comfort (in comparison) & the fact that they ride & handle so much better.

It is a crime that Pi & Bilstein still sell/use these springs IMO

Another very good kit was the Courtenay clubman sus kit. But make sure it comes with their springs as a friend of mine got Pi springs with his kit (I made him return them)

Adam
28-11-06, 05:31 PM
Eibach springs are good, and much better than PI.

I've got Koni fronts, and even with the dampers on there softest setting the ride is hard(have to avoid potholes/drain covers etc)

Pigeonrat9
28-11-06, 05:44 PM
I can sympathise with you & the Mrs. the Bilstein streetline kit is absolute gash. chuck it in the bin.

lol Fair comment! The shocks haven't been too bad, but the springs are total cr*p, one of the back ones have sagged and all the power-coating has flaked off, so I was thinking of getting shot anyway! I nearly returned them just after I fitted them, as one of the back ones clonked when going over bumps. Solved it with a really hi-tec "suppressor" (bit of pond-pump tubing cable-tied round the spring!), but I wish I'd taken them back now...

Konis or eibachs then, it seems? I've got Eibachs on the Astra, and I must say I can't fault them...

Ben
28-11-06, 06:49 PM
Ive never found any problems with Pi springs for road use.