PDA

View Full Version : Nova insurance.

vauxall88
27-11-06, 09:08 AM
New to these forums.
Im 17. Have my driving test booked for next month and im looking for a car now.

I love Nova's. :) They are old skool, simple, reasonable cheap and definatley have personalitylol

I've been looking at the insurance groups but wondered if a nova in group 7 will cost as much as any other group 7 car,,, possibly even more?
due to there 'bad boy' status :mad:

I thought id ask before i can be bothered to ring round for insurance. thanks.

Jack
27-11-06, 09:20 AM
There's an insurance forum down the page :thumb:

Insurance groups are only advisory groupings for companies to base their prices on, so its possible for two cars of the same group to vary in price. The company's claim rate for a certain car can come into it as well.

If you want a few ideas, try Elephant/Admiral, CIS, Tesco etc - they have online quote systems so can give you a rough idea of what cars are in your price range.

My Celica is a group 18 and costs less for me to insure than a 200SX S14a which is group 17. So groupings aren't gospel lol

bump
27-11-06, 09:21 AM
Any insurance will be expensive in your first year of driving. IMO go for a poverty spec 1L and suffer it for a couple of years then chances are you'll have a decent chassis to perform a transplant, as most 1L seem to have been owned by grannies / teachers and taken care of.

Cheers

Bump

Stuart
27-11-06, 10:10 AM
"bay boy"............ hmmmm your not the type of nova owner thats going to do us any favours are you lol

vauxall88
27-11-06, 10:55 AM
"bay boy"............ hmmmm your not the type of nova owner thats going to do us any favours are you lol
Pardon:confused:

vauxall88
27-11-06, 10:58 AM
There's an insurance forum down the page :thumb:

Insurance groups are only advisory groupings for companies to base their prices on, so its possible for two cars of the same group to vary in price. The company's claim rate for a certain car can come into it as well.

If you want a few ideas, try Elephant/Admiral, CIS, Tesco etc - they have online quote systems so can give you a rough idea of what cars are in your price range.

My Celica is a group 18 and costs less for me to insure than a 200SX S14a which is group 17. So groupings aren't gospel lol Thanks, god knows why but i didn't see the insurance forum:tard:

*edit* Just noticed i have spelt Vauxhall wrong for my user damnitlol

Adam
27-11-06, 11:15 AM
As a first car, you can't beat a 1.2i, grp3 insurance.

Grp 7 is mega expensive as a first car/new driver.

Martin
27-11-06, 11:33 AM
"bad boy"............ hmmmm your not the type of nova owner thats going to do us any favours are you lol

He ment bad boy lol..

also he means that when peeps mention the "bad boy" image usally means the person who said it is usaly into "bad boy" kits etc etc

martin

vauxall88
27-11-06, 11:40 AM
He ment bad boy lol..

also he means that when peeps mention the "bad boy" image usally means the person who said it is usaly into "bad boy" kits etc etc

martin
Well he couldn't be any more wrong :)
if he is trying to imply im some kind of plastic strap on body kit fanatic then im not lol

standard or subtle for me.

.... was thinking about getting a 1.4sr/sri.

Would love a sport but i don't want to spend all my money on a nova, 1,500 max really.

vauxall88
27-11-06, 11:43 AM
What i was supposed to say was -

Has the 'bad boy' image of the Nova upped the insurance. I.e. insurance companies charging more for a 1.4 nova than other 1400cc cars?

Martin
27-11-06, 11:56 AM
What i was supposed to say was -

Has the 'bad boy' image of the Nova upped the insurance. I.e. insurance companies charging more for a 1.4 nova than other 1400cc cars?

Nah it varys with diff cars..

tbh youre better of getting a 1.0-1.2 maybe a 1.3 sr..

as the sri/gsi/gtes are seen as sporty cars and "fast"

imo just get a 1.2spi and stick with it for a few years make sure you have a decent shell, get the rht chassis mods etc and wait til you can aford to fit a bigger engine and insure it..:thumb:

Jack
27-11-06, 11:57 AM
IMO yes; I got a quote for a Pug 1.6 GTi not so long ago, which was about ?200 cheaper than a Nova 1.6 GTE; off the top of my head both are group 11. Novas do seem to be comparitively expensive cars to insure.

Incidentally, 1.4SRi and 1.4SR are both group 7 insurance, yet the SRi is about 12bhp up on the SR. The Nova sport is based on a 1.3L iirc, and carries the same group 5 insurance category - bear in mind a sport is around 20-30bhp up on the std 1.3...!

[edit]I found with CIS a few years back that it was cheaper for me to insure a 1.4SR than a bog std 1.2 Merit due to all the chavs buying 1.2s for the cheap insurance, and crashing them.

vauxall88
27-11-06, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I know most people buy 1000cc/1200cc sh1tters as first cars, but i like cars, i do :) . and i can afford to insure up to a 1400cc car, im a sensible lad, enjoy looking after things so i may aswell buy a car which i can keep for a few years, then upgrade when i need to. i know most people think young drivers are all careless,speed everywhere and are general ****holes on the road but.. not all are.

I just like the older style cars, nova's for example.
I have the money to go out and buy a 51 plate corsa sxi but id rather have something with some character.

What are the chances of me picking a standard, good condition 1.4 sr/sri up? i should think the chances of picking a nice sport up are very small.

Thanks,
Hope the post made sense. LOL

Martin
27-11-06, 12:07 PM
Have a look on Ebay theres a nice red nova on there..not a 1.4 but looks mint...

and theres always a few minters on

vauxall88
27-11-06, 12:09 PM
Have a look on Ebay theres a nice red nova on there..not a 1.4 but looks mint...

thanks, been keeping an eye out on eBay and pistonheads.

Only just found this forum from looking in total vaux mag.

Typed nova forums into google a few times but it brought nothing up.

I can imagine its going to be a real ballache trying to find a non-molestered one :(

Jack
27-11-06, 12:15 PM
Welcome to Unfinished Sentence Theatre lol

Martin
27-11-06, 12:18 PM
thanks, been keeping an eye out on eBay and pistonheads.

Only just found this forum from looking in total vaux mag.

Typed nova forums into google a few times but it brought nothing up.

I can imagine its going to be a real ballache trying to find a non-molestered one :(

nah its not that hard tbh just dont rush into buying one because it "looks" mint lol

i found mine for ?375 oki it was'nt in th best condition but meh i hae plenty of spare time to "mint" it up..

i rushed into buying a 2nd nova as it looked mint but 3weeks after i got it. it'had rotted alot worse then it was when i bought it lol

Just choose the right one...:thumb:

Martin
27-11-06, 12:20 PM
Welcome to Unfinished Sentence Theatre lol

lol lol

On there, i ment (as in E-gay)

Stuart
27-11-06, 12:24 PM
lol @ pistonheads... avoid that site like the plauge!!! the cars are very overpriced for what you get etc, when i was buying my vx i found that similar spec cars were trying to get a good ?1-2K more than they were really worth lol.

look on here, pvg, mig, vauxsport etc for lots of cars forsale..