PDA

View Full Version : I'd give my right arm for a Disabled Car Badge

mowgli
25-11-06, 04:26 PM
Why do towns give all of those spaces for less advantaged people to park near town centres?
By rights, 10% of all of the population must be disabled, because 10% of the parking spaces are for them.
I appreciate that there are people who have great difficulty getting about, but how many times have we all seen someone park on Double Yellows, stick the old ' I've got a spacehopper' badge in the window, get out of the car & run across the road?
Rant over...

draper
25-11-06, 05:43 PM
"id give my right arm for a disabled car badge"

if you gave your right arm away you would be eligble for a disabled badge lol

mowgli
25-11-06, 07:24 PM
There are also a lot of people in Hinckley who have a kiddy seat in their car so they can park in the 'We've got a small child' spaces at morrisons. I would dearly love to go down there one night & replace the signs with 'CRAP AT PARKING' & then see how many people use them.....

Philsutton
25-11-06, 07:26 PM
There are also a lot of people in Hinckley who have a kiddy seat in their car so they can park in the 'We've got a small child' spaces at morrisons. I would dearly love to go down there one night & replace the signs with 'CRAP AT PARKING' & then see how many people use them.....

you'd probably find that they still use it lol

mowgli
25-11-06, 07:50 PM
I get my revenge on them by playing Deli Bingo. I pull 10 numbers out of the thingy at the counter, wait till about eight of them have been called & there is a queue building, and then shout 'HOUSE'. I then ask for 100g of something, and the staff always put a lot more on & ask '180g is that ok?' so I say 'No I want 100g, that's what it says on the list'. That really pisses them off. I've been known to play the Generation Game with the checkout conveyor.
ps. I hate shoppping

bump
25-11-06, 09:11 PM
I think I may have encountered you in Morrisons when I lived in Leicestershire.

mowgli
25-11-06, 09:16 PM
Well if you had ever offended or been offended by a balding bloke with 3 small daughters in tow, then it could have been me. The generation game thing really winds up other shoppers but it actually takes no longer to check out. If you leave a gap of about 18" between each item, the conveyor keeps running, the girl simply keeps scanning them, and because the conveyor is running constantly it uses less electricity and is better for the environment.

L14MNP
26-11-06, 02:46 AM
WTF!!

LMAO @ Draper = 100% correct mate lol

db_1.2
26-11-06, 01:02 PM
If you lost your right arm wouldnt it be a bit hard to drive??? Unless you get a lift everywhere

rachaelrebekah
26-11-06, 02:50 PM
If you lost your right arm wouldnt it be a bit hard to drive??? Unless you get a lift everywhere

not if u got an automatic u only need one hand to steer

db_1.2
26-11-06, 03:06 PM
not if u got an automatic u only need one hand to steer

Would the DVLA allow it?

Novadex
26-11-06, 04:21 PM
I think you get special cars for that sort of thing. A friend of mine cant shift her leg over from pedal to pedal because it causes her pain in her hips, so she has a special device on the pedal that switches her brake pedal over to the right side (automatic) so she can accelerate with he rleft leg and break with her right. I remember she took the car in for a service and the lad who was working in the garage nearly smashed her car up because he didnt realise lol

mowgli
26-11-06, 08:23 PM
sorry folks, I came up with the title as a joke, but the rant was serious

Lee
26-11-06, 08:25 PM
I think you get special cars for that sort of thing. A friend of mine cant shift her leg over from pedal to pedal because it causes her pain in her hips, so she has a special device on the pedal that switches her brake pedal over to the right side (automatic) so she can accelerate with he rleft leg and break with her right. I remember she took the car in for a service and the lad who was working in the garage nearly smashed her car up because he didnt realise lol

WTF????

Why not leave the pedals where they are? surely it wouldnt make a bloody difference? lol

mowgli
26-11-06, 09:24 PM
my rant was not about how to actually be disabled & how to sodding well modify a car so you can actually get to park in the spacehopper parking, it was about the fact that there are about 50 times more disabled spaces than there are disabled drivers, and then it sort of morphed into all sorts of people I don't like !!

Jack
26-11-06, 10:02 PM
My argument always was that if a person can't walk an extra 50 paces to get to a shop, why are they driving? But disabled spaces are usually bigger to allow easier access, and its not always the badgeholder who's the driver. And tbh I'm happy if they all park in one place as I can go park over the other side of the car park and avoid getting my car smacked in (I've seen them smash other cars when swinging their own doors wide open!)

Novadex
26-11-06, 11:20 PM
WTF????

Why not leave the pedals where they are? surely it wouldnt make a bloody difference? lol

im not tottaly sure, i think its because she cant shift her legs from one pedal to the other and the pressure of pushing the brake pedal with her left leg would give her trouble.

Matt2107
27-11-06, 11:33 AM
I'm quite often seen limping from my car parked in a cabbage patch spot to the entrance of Tesco.

Also I do park in the parent and toddler section... just tell them your kids in the boot as its doing your ****ing head in.

You could always adopt a piss smelling old fogey... but be prepaired for constant whinging about "when I was young", the price of bread and the stink.

Jack
27-11-06, 12:22 PM
afaik Disabled spaces are a requirement, and I think you can get nicked for parking in one without a badge... however parent and child spaces aren't enforcable by law so you could park in them lol

However, I think I'd rather save my car from dents and stay well clear!!

Matt2107
27-11-06, 12:39 PM
Yep there's 3 in my street and no one is disabled.

You can get a ticket for parking in a disabled space on a public road.
However that isnt the case for supermarkets etc.. Its their job to enforce their own car parks.

My dad is allowed to use his dads disabled badge but only when he is in the car. lol