PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostics?!?!

Anonymous
04-05-01, 10:57 PM
I went to get my car on the rolling road, and hopefully get the problem sorted thats not letting me rev over 6000rpm. When they started to look at it the guy said that the diagnostic box(?) had been removed and to find out what fault the ecu system was chucking out i would need to have one rewired. Which would cost about ?150!

Can any one offer any advice on this. I know its a bit vague, but i have no clue what the guy is on about.

Anonymous
05-05-01, 04:01 PM
Sounds interesting - I'm pretty sure there isn't a seperate 'diagnostic box'.

If you have a Nova GTE it should have the E16SE engine in (same as my H plate GSi).

That means it will have Bosch Jetronic/EZ Plus (I think) ignition and fueling management systems. You can extract fault codes yourself by crossing together pins A and B on the diagnostic plug which is (should be) situated above the brake master cylinder. Its blue and plugged into the bulk head. Once the pins are connected flick on the ignition (dont start the car) and hey presto a little light should flash at you on the dash.

There's an engine diagnostic book available in Halfords - that will give you an insight into what he codes mean (and how to read them).

Let me know if that doesn't help.

Ben.

Anonymous
07-05-01, 08:58 PM
I will give that a try, but i looked at the back of the clocks, and there is not a bulb holder for the ECU light. So does that mean that some one has changed the clocks or what?

Anonymous
07-05-01, 09:05 PM
I'm not too familiar with the GTE dash but I think it should have a bulb for the engine warning light. If it has been removed then that could indicate that someone has covered up a problem with it in the past. Whenever the engine management system recognises a prob under normal running it switches the light on.

If you have a look at the Haynes manual you can attach a bulb at the engine bay diagnostic plug (its marked up as X-something I think in the Haynes wiring diagrams). This will indicate the diagnostic flashes.

Ben.

Anonymous
08-05-01, 10:45 PM
Tell you what Paul, if you ever get your car to work properly again you should win an award for sheer persistence! Bad luck M8 - keep trying - dont let the bitch beat you!
PS Just a thought - expensive I know but why not contact Superchips at Buckingham - they might be able to help you out as you seem to be in unchartered territory now.

Anonymous
18-05-01, 04:07 PM
I know this is a bit late now looking at the date of the last message, but my GTE on a G-plate didn't have the ECU light or diagnostic connector either.

It appears that early G-plate GTE's and below have the original Jetronic system which does not have them whereas anything later (GTE or GSi before Multec came in) have the Motronic system instead which caters better for the ignition and has the diagnostic stuff.

My GSi is a Motronic and has the ECU light and my mates late G-reg GTE has the same.

It is annoying because I never did find out what was wrong with my GTE not running 100% before I got the GSi because there was no diagnostics facility :(

Paul