PDA

View Full Version : rattley engine noise

Anonymous
15-05-01, 08:41 AM
there's a rattle in my engine at about 2500rpm and above. sounds up near the top. anyone know what that could be? its a 2.0 8v SRi engine. how could i tell if its my big ends :( ?

Anonymous
15-05-01, 08:58 AM
Near the top indicates the valve train. I don't know your engine but I should think it probably has hydraulic lifters which can become noisy when a. worn or b. short of oil.
If you haven't done so or are not sure of the engines history do a thorough oil clean out job ( take sump off and check the oil pickup isn't clogged if you can) and then use synthetic oil as this seems to cut the noise down.

Anonymous
15-05-01, 09:27 AM
Same here adz, but mine is just the alternator bearings, a hydraulic tappet sounds most likley reason, or you could have streached a big end letting the piston move further and strike the head! I had this and it can sound like a tappet.

"Theres something missing, I'm not all there, Theres something missing".

Anonymous
15-05-01, 10:42 AM
ack shit one. i've only had the engine for a month !! and its only been doing this, the past few days. dont fancy forkin out for another engine. i'll check the oil pickup, but is there a test to do, just to make sure it aint the big ends ? cheers lads

Anonymous
15-05-01, 12:39 PM
While you've got the sump off you could undo the big end shells and check for damage to the shells or crank, Checking forplay in the big end may be possible but not easy with the crank in. you might manage to get a calliper in to measure the bore? I would have a good check of other things first before you dive in to the sump.

Anonymous
15-05-01, 01:41 PM
Ha Ha, thats meant to read checking for play, just read my message it sounds well dodgy. :D

Anonymous
15-05-01, 04:40 PM
ha ha, i'll have a look at it today... my engine that is ;)

Anonymous
15-05-01, 04:55 PM
do youi know if the engine has been run upside down?? if so then its gonna be big end number 2 thats a tad knackerd!!

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
16-05-01, 08:36 AM
how do you work that out ???

Anonymous
16-05-01, 09:20 AM
what do you mean "how do you work that out?"

if the engine has been run upside down then the oil pickup wont be immersed in oil ne more. by design of the sump 3 and 4 get coverd in oil and 1 is next to the oil pump so those 3 bearings will be ok but coz 2 dont get any oil it wil go pete tong.

or

do you mean how do you work out if the engine has been upside down? well you ask the guy you got it from simple huh

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
18-05-01, 03:20 PM
Talking of big ends, can these be replaced with the engine still in the car from underneath?

Cheers, Ben.