PDA

View Full Version : Ignition timing

novapearl
23-11-06, 02:43 PM
Hi all, just wondering about my ignition timing being out. The 13sb engine is the one that i have, seems to run a little rough sometimes and reluctant to pick up.

Also the distributor rattles occasionally internally, its the one with the big black cap. Someone said the advance weights could be to blame - anyone here heard about this?

any ideas - plus whats the best setting for the ignition timing and how do i set it?

Adam

Adam
23-11-06, 04:44 PM
10deg BTDC at warm idle is the ignition timing.
Set it with a timing light.

Yeh, the advance weights/springs can break.

novapearl
07-12-06, 09:43 AM
Ah - performance much better now. Put some new genuine plugs and some quality Linco plug leads on as well, found the king lead was corroded at coil end causing an intermittent loss of spark at high RPM.

Also the second choke was not operating (blocked internally in carburettor), the lingake was part seized and it was running p~ss weak! One of the black diagraphm valves was stuck as well.

Spun the Co screw up till at 2% and adjusted the idle.

Timing was spot on. Not bad for a guess (tuned by ear)

(Basically it got what used to be called a Krypton Tune - remember them?)

Goes like a (run away!) train now. Strongly advise anyone with a running fault to get a retune. Tip - independent garages are so much more helpful than main dealers at this! Dealers ain't intrested unless its got a diagnostic plug!!!

Adam
07-12-06, 12:18 PM
Dealers ain't intrested unless its got a diagnostic plug!!!
Lol.

Good to hear its now running fine.