PDA

View Full Version : What power can i expect?

atokley
23-11-06, 02:13 AM
Hello,

Just got my nova xe set up on a dyno that i know to be conservative (not giving silly figures like some), it was set up on a unichip with ported head, cat cams but standard exhaust manifold and ****ty 2inch exhaust system.

It made 170.5bhp @ 5911rpm and 159.3 ftlbs @ 5011rpm.

What sort of gains can i expect from fitting a nice manifold and suitable exhaust system? (power seems to drop off a little early, thinking the exhaust doesn't help)

anyone know where to get a decent system from for a xe nova? and whether to go for a 4-1 or 4-2-1 and what size exhaust piping?

also are there any other suitable mods to do that would help current mods?

Thanks

Andy

Adam
23-11-06, 11:25 AM
Well, 2" is the std XE exhaust bore....

Ashley do a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold for a Nova with a XE in, and they do a 2 1/4" exhaust system.

Gains aren't going to be massive tho, the std xe manifold is quite a good design.

http://www.ashleyexhausts.co.uk

craig green
23-11-06, 11:34 AM
Aye. It will only free up a couple (few) bhp at the top I would imagine, with maybe a bit of torque from the mid range. All good, but at this level bhp doesnt come cheap. To get any more power you will need TBs or NOS. Neither are cheap as you no doubt know.

Your XE is pretty much as far as you can go on the SFi & Motronic.

Adam
23-11-06, 11:45 AM
Or T45s

Stuart
23-11-06, 01:42 PM
ive heard that with "suitable mods" (cams, proper mappable ecu, etc) you can get 200bhp from teh std inlet manifold...

thats from swindon ;)

Lee
23-11-06, 03:17 PM
ive heard that with "suitable mods" (cams, proper mappable ecu, etc) you can get 200bhp from teh std inlet manifold...

thats from swindon ;)

Lets face it, Swindon could probably get 100bhp from my early morning poo!

atokley
23-11-06, 04:07 PM

thats from swindon ;)

lol

I wasnt hoping for a massive amount of gain, was more 'hoping' for about 175-180bhp higher up in the rev range and a slightly less drop off at like 7krpm

Looks like vauvhall have done a good job with the exhaust manifold then....

Are the ashley system a decent design then? i did see their 2 1/4"system and conversion manifold before

does anyone do a sort of adaptor plate so you can fit the original injectors in and bolt like r1bike throttle bodies to?

Sorry for all the questions, im a bit new to vauxhalls.

Thanks

Martin
23-11-06, 04:15 PM
Speak To Bogg Brothers..

Chris
23-11-06, 07:29 PM
Speak To Bogg Brothers..

and get robbed.

Bogg Bros were very good when they initially started doing the bike carb conversions (4 years ago) but now are vastly overpriced IMO, I havent seen the TV feature but I have heard about it and I think it will just keep causing the price to increase until they hit the normal TB/Carb price.

And plus with bike carbs you will be struggling to gain much more useable power, a bike engine isnt far from race spec as stock and the carbs are not designed to be used for a larger capacity engine with more power.

Dont get me wrong they are good but not if you are wanting a 'decent' power, decent meaning 200+. As for the exhaust, best exhaust for an XE nova imo is a simpson manifold and system, but you get what you pay for.

Chris

Martin
23-11-06, 07:48 PM
and get robbed.

Bogg Bros were very good when they initially started doing the bike carb conversions (4 years ago) but now are vastly overpriced IMO, I havent seen the TV feature but I have heard about it and I think it will just keep causing the price to increase until they hit the normal TB/Carb price.

And plus with bike carbs you will be struggling to gain much more useable power, a bike engine isnt far from race spec as stock and the carbs are not designed to be used for a larger capacity engine with more power.

Dont get me wrong they are good but not if you are wanting a 'decent' power, decent meaning 200+. As for the exhaust, best exhaust for an XE nova imo is a simpson manifold and system, but you get what you pay for.

Chris

Thats what i like about you chris.. you always prove me rong lol lol :thumb:

i'll be in touch soon, cars getting painted in jan so i'll be needing your services soon after then :thumb:

P.s were can i get a simpson manifold + system from,ad wats a rough price?

Chris
23-11-06, 07:50 PM
direct from simpson and about ?1k+ http://www.simpsonraceexhausts.com/index.html

Stuart
23-11-06, 08:23 PM
i had a quote for an exhaust for the VX from them.. ?1.2K but more than likely well worth it

Chris
23-11-06, 08:25 PM
you get what you pay for

Craig_
23-11-06, 11:08 PM
Can I ask what spec your XE motor is at the moment which has allowed you to get the power figure you have quoted. I have an XE in my nova, standard motor but have another motor on the way with Throttle Bodies etc but running standard cams. I think on standard pistons the standard cams are almost spot on anyway, am I right in saying this???